“Wouldn't take much to be wonderful!” 3 of 5 stars

The Swan Inn
Lower Street, Fittleworth RH20 1EN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fittleworth
uk
“Wouldn't take much to be wonderful!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Superb village location. Fantastic olde worlde building. Low beams; very original features and a proper country pub feel to the place. We were there with a small group on a Sunday night so expected it to be quiet and it was only us and a couple of other tables. The food was fairly mixed amongst our party with some dishes being particularly wonderful (The Fishy Bubble; Scallops starter) and some fairly mediocre. The wine could do with much more imagination. Price was about right for this part of the world (£35 per head including pre dinner drinks and service). Service from the chef's daughter was splendid and faultless making us feel very welcome, lots of smiling and very professional. This girl will go far and judging by some previous reviews just what this place needed. The rooms are under par in terms of decoration (wall paper coming off ceiling) and cleanliness - mould around shower fittings. A shame really as they're fairly small things and a bit like service and courtesy cost so little to get right but make a huge difference

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Pub is what English pubs always used to be like ten, twenty years ago so it has character and olde worlde charm. It is very pretty from the outside but could do with some updating on the inside. Staff friendly. Informal atmosphere. Plentiful breakfast. No complaints.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Average rooms, not particularly clean, owner made very 'off colour' comment and we felt pretty uncomfortable there. Find somewhere else to stay in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

My partner and I stayed at The Swan Inn overnight prebooked a couple of days in advance, there were no double rooms left but we were offered a four poster room for the same price which was lovely. We arrived during the afternoon and were greeted by the landlord who was very friendly and welcoming. The pub has a very nice beer garden which is well kept. The pub itself has a lovely atmoshphere and throughout our afternoon/evening we chatted with various locals and also the landlords son who we also found to be very friendly and chatty. We also ate in the restaurant and what we ordered was very good and well cooked. We had no complaints at all and would definately stay here again and intend to do so.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

My Wife & I, and Two friends visited the Swan in Fittleworth this evening and had what I can only describe as the worst possible experience I have EVER had in a restaurant.

Where do we begin ...

On entering the pub we found the place to be half empty and we stood at the bar ungreeted by the young girl behind the bar who was struggling with an empty pump, the Managers son was sitting in the bar with his drinking buddies and had to be called over by the young girl to fix the beer problem.

Eventually we were served by the young girl who was clearly very new and very nervous and although she was polite and willing she had no confidence nor any real manner of friendliness. She also had no idea as to what drinks should be served in what glasses and my wife nearly ended up with a Martini in a whiskey glass!

Eventually we found ourselves a seat (no restaurant service here) and while the surroundings were OK this is where it all started to go badly wrong.

Firstly the table wasn't prepared correctly for a party of four, even though the table was for 4. The young girl who served behind the bar served us at the table and handed the menus OVER people.

Eventually the starters arrived and while these were alright in themselves they were nothing to write home about. However the butter that was served with the bread was on the turn and not good.

The main courses arrived and the orange sauce served with the duck looked and tasted like Marmalade mixed with water then reduced in a pan. It was awful. The Mushroom Stroganoff was a waste of money and I feel the rice was probably microwave rice as it had that sterile taste of microwave rice. The Vegetables were wholly overcooked and didn't look at all fresh. The only redeeming part were the potatoes.

We bought a bottle of wine and this was just plonked on the table and a few minutes later a wine cooler appeared. No service or presentation of the wine. the sparkling water was almost flat and we believe it was already open.

We finished the main courses and declined to have a sweet, however I ordered an Irish coffee where the coffee was so strong that it totally overpowered the flavor of the whiskey in the drink.

At this stage I asked the young waitress to come over and explained that I wasn't happy with it and that I would be leaving it. I asked for the bill and also asked to speak to the Manager.

The Managers son came over and I invited him to pull up a chair and join us for a quiet chat with a view to giving him our opinion on the service, food and how he might improve things. (we eat out almost every evening so we do know how things should be done).

His stance and tone was immediately aggressive and dismissive and he got the point where he walked off and as he departed he said "Jesus Christ" in an angry tone and very loud.

Well that was it for me - he brought the bill back and told me to pay what I thought and then he wanted us to leave. I questioned him on his rude comment and told him that I was wholly offended by it. He got even more aggressive and started going on about how many hours he had been working and that he was stressed (didn't look too stressed to me when he was drinking with his cronies when we walked in).

I told him that none of this was our problem and that I wasn't happy to pay anything due to his rudeness and arrogance and the fact that he was obnoxious and had spoiled our evening and ruined any chance that we might come back to the restaurant.

He ended up ushering us out of the place and taking our car registration which I already gave him in the bar and we left him standing in the doorway shouting the "F" word and other foul expletives to us as we departed.

Our conclusion is that this young idiot clearly has some anger management issues he needs to deal with and in my opinion he should never be let anywhere near a business where deference and respect to customers is a must.

We will NEVER go back this hole again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

Looking at the reviews they're confusing the Swan at Fittleworth (West Sussex) with the inn of the same name in Chiddingfold in Surrey.

My wife and I stayed at the Swan, Fittleworth last night. Found it quiet but had a very good meal and extremely comfortable bedroom in converted barn/stable with original beams etc. Very clean. Good cooked breakfast although a bit more choice of fruit would have been welcome.

Probably wouldn't stay again (because we only live half hour away) but would recommend it to friends etc. Would eat there again especially on a warmer day because garden looks lovely.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a relaxing weekend to escape London and our two-year-old daughter. Relaxing it certainly was: lovely room, modern amenities against a backdrop of old brick and oak beams. Perfect. Great food also. Only gripe is the pub was vitually empty on the Saturday night, so no atmosphere there then, and don't even think of getting a 'late' drink (ie, 11.01pm). Actually, the food and bar prices were pretty steep (London West End prices), and if I was feeling particuarly unkind, like I am today, I'd say the manager has had a bit of personality by-pass - not what you envisage for a country pub landlord.

• Liked — historical
  • Disliked — bar too quiet
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sidWestSussex, owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2008
manager no longer here now run by the family

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!