“Great service and staff” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huxley Close, Godalming GU7 2AS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Godalming
GreenLeadersSilver level
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great service and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Been living here for 3 weeks spacious semi under ground rooms with big picture windows. Nice gym with sauna, good food and very helpful and friendly staff. Great menu choce and always excellently cooked.

Room Tip: Go for the downstairs newer rooms with views over the garden. Opening the curtains in the morning to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello DicktheDuck

Thank you for taking the time to review the Manor House.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had friendly service and good food over the last three weeks.

You stayed in one of the downstairs rooms which were built into a hillside about a dozen years ago. As you say, these have great views over the garden and even a door onto the outside world for when it's warm enough to step outside.

There are also 13 rooms in the main house. These are more traditional in style and most have fantastic views over the Surrey Hills in the distance.

Whichever style of room takes your fancy, they are all well equipped with work space if you need it, a comfortable bed and free wifi.

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I booked a large party of guests into the hotel for my daughters wedding so we had a mix of young and old opinions for me to consider when making this review. Without exception everyone including my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend stay at the hotel. The rooms were really comfortable, clean and well equipped with everything from free wi-fi, tea and coffee, ironing board, complimentary wine and a gift packed ensemble of bathroom products. The hotel has a small but well equipped gym and spa with ample car parking. The staff were extremely helpful and everyone went out their way to ensure our stay was relaxed and comfortable. We had a late night party for several of our guests in the hotel bar after our daughters wedding (we had the wedding itself in a different venue) but again the staff were bright and cheerful even into the wee small hours making a perfect ending to the day. Breakfast was really good within a variety of options from American, continental to the full English. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone needing a base for a wedding, golfing break or conference as the room rates are quite competitive with anything else available in the area

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors as the views are wonderfull
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HowardCanning, General Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello Crazyhorse3

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Manor House.

I am delighted that you and your party, without exception, enjoyed your time with us. We have all the mod cons as you state, and fine views to boot, but it is often the staff that make a stay. The team here do everything they can to make guests comfortable and I'm pleased that their work paid off.

We pride ourselves on the breakfast we serve as it's sometimes the only meal that guests eat with us. There's plenty of choice - homemade muesli, eggs from happy free-range hens and sausages produced for us by a butcher in the local village - everything you need to set you up for the day!
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Manor House is a fantastic venue, with a wonderful mix of period and modern facilities. The building decor flows very well, from the dark but warm reception area, through to the bright and welcoming bar and on to the spacious restaurant with views to die for. The highlight for me though was the newer bedrooms, set into the hillside. A wonderful utilisation of space and a great talking point. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello JohnTurpin

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of the Manor House.

The Manor House is a grand Victorian house that we have worked hard on so that the old, such as the wood pannelled reception, blends with the new, such as the bright, welcoming bar.

I am particularly pleased that you liked the bedrooms in the new wing, set into a hillside, as you say, and with fantastic views of the surrounding countryside and a patio door so you can step outside to enjoy them too.

The rooms in the main house also enjoy fabulous views over the Surrey hills, so whether you prefer the traditional decor of these rooms, or the modern Scandinavian style of the rooms in the extension, a great night's sleep always comes in a room with a view.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here the night of our wedding (held at nearby Clock Barn Farm) an had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautiful, we were in one of the honeymoon suites and the room was fabulous and very modern and clean. The breakfast was also delicious an you could order a full english / cooked breakfast, all included in the price of your stay. The reception staff were also super friendly, but this may have been because it was our wedding day! Even so, a great stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hello littlepinksophie

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review of the Manor House.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and liked your bedroom. There are a two rooms we use for newly weds and both are as you describe - modern , but with traditiuonal touches as befits a Victorian building. Both also have fabulous view over the distant Surrey Hills.

Breakast too, is something we are proud of. There is a good cold selection to choose from and for those that fancy it, a Surrey breakfast that includes organic eggs and sausages made by the butcher in the village. It's a great start to the day, particularly on cold mornings!

We are a small team at the Manor House and try to look after all our guests and make them feel welcome. The reception team are delighted that you found them "super friendly"!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stay here whenever I visit the area. The staff are first class as is the food and the room.
I have only stayed in the rooms downstairs light and mondern feel to them the ipod dock is very handy to have. Bar staff proffesional and Lisa the manager is a Star.
Breakfast is always a big treat lots on offer all freshly prepared.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
hello ahum6

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review of the Manor House. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your visits so far.

The rooms downstairs are light and modern, as you say, and have a door onto the gardens, which is great for nice days in summer. There is also plenty of desk space if you need to work whilst you're here. Some rooms, but not all, have ipod docks as part of the television. If it's an especially important part of your stay, let us know and we'll do our best to help!

Lisa is a star and she and her team look after the service of all the food and drink, including the breakfasts you like so much. It's the last impression most guests have of the Manor House so we try to make it memorable, even if it's just a cheery smile and a happy "good morning".
OXFORDSHIRE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed 2 days and 1 night - attending a business seminar - Conference room nice and chairs quite comfortable. Had a drama getting there - car broke down so had to get the rest of the way by taxi - advised staff on arrival that my car would be arriving there later with the breakdown truck and that someone would be coming later to hopefully fix it. They said they would look after that for me as I didn't want to be disturbed in the seminar. I had requested a ground floor room as I am not brilliant with stairs and I could see from previou reviews the bedrooms in the old part of the house were on the 2nd floor. What I didn't realise was the ground floor rooms are in reality lower ground floor under the rear terrace, and you have to down a long staircase to get to them - which if you have mobility problems like me is a bit of an issue. The conference room was also on the 1st floor so again the stairs were a bit of an issue. I can get up and down stairs but it takes a lot of effort, but if you are in a wheelchair this hotel isn't really suitable. Beautiful interior to house - especially the entrance hall, and pleasant bar are - Bar shuts at 11pm - I think that's not because the hotel necessarily want it to, but because of licencing issues because it is an residential area. The actual room I had was quite pleasant and for the rate I paid more than adequate - Big desk very useful as I had lots of studying to do. Had to ring reception because I couldn't find the TV (It is actually in a cupboard, on a pull out tray, so I really should have searched a bit more!). Buffet lunch was nice with choice of hot and cold. Evening meal was OK with v pleasant staff, a slight issue I had was politely and promptly dealt with. Breakfast looked good with a wide choice including Salmon and Scrabled Egg and American Pancakes as well as more traditional choices, but I only had some toast and juice as I was too nervous about an exam I was taking that morning! I would recommend this hotel as a good hotel for meetings and conferences as the facilities are good - Gym looked nice but I didn't use it.

Room Tip: Difficult access to all rooms if you are disabled - even the "ground floor" rooms are stil...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Hello Terrys_FOLLIES

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Manor House. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that you were able to recomend us as a good business hotel.

I'm glad that you found good service and that you liked the food too. We try to produce as much as we can in our own kitchen using local, seasonal produce. The quality is far better and allows us to be a bit more imaginative, offering things like pancakes and scrambled egg with smoked salmon, as you saw at breakfast.

As you point out, access to The Manor House bedrooms is a bit of a challenge for those who have mobility problems.The ground floor, though, is accessible and the dining room, bar and some meeting rooms on this level too. We also have ramps to hand, so that those in wheelchairs can get to the garden terrace.

There is an accessibility page and downloads on our website, where access around the building is described in some detail and this will help visitors with restricted mobility find out more before they get here.

Lots of you colleagues were also nervous about the exam you were taking, but I hope that you did well and passed with flying colours!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here overnight for a wedding locally. We were allowed to check in nice and early to get changed and found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We had a drink from the bar, and i had to change anpint over as it was cloudy and a bit off.
We had a bit of a mixup with the room allocation but was soon sorted and we were told that the room we ended up with wouldn't need to chang, though this changed after we had retired and soon were told we were moving downstairs. The eventual room was great, a nice touch to have a patio door which was great a it was a warm night.

The bed was let down a little by the undersheet which was quite rustly and uncomfortable.

A good hotel, let down by a few annoying problems that could have been easily prevented with a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed August 2012
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Hello Grumbleweeduk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with at the Manor House.

Your stay does sound a mixed bag but I'm delighted you thought us a good hotel! I am sorry for the mix up with your room booking, but am glad that you did like the room that you ended up in -a room in the downstairs block with views over the countryside and access on to the lawns.

It is sometimes difficult to be able to let everybody check in early, but I'm pleased that we were able to help on this occasion. We do try and help guests with whatever requests they have, particularly if they, like you, have to be somewhere important early during the day.

I am also pleased that you found the staff helpful and friendly and understand from them that they also apologised and offered a small discount for the inconvenience we caused you.

Been to The Manor House? Share your experiences!