“Excellent hotel in Godalming/Surrey” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huxley Close, Godalming GU7 2AS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Godalming
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent hotel in Godalming/Surrey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I had to book the hotel literally a couple of hours before I arrived due to getting stranded on business in the area. I always research my hotels extensively before booking as I am very picky (and have been burnt before) so this left me nervous. However, this was one of the most enjoyable hotel stays I've had in a long time due to the great customer service!

The hotels Tudor style exterior is gorgeous, the interior is very charming - they have retained the old style features but made also used some modern touches to make it comfortable and stylish. My room was nicely laid out and clean, but the light came in early in the room and the only mirror in the main part of the room is in the closet which is strange and not very convenient.

The hotel bar and lounge area is small but very comfortable and cozy with a fireplace but the staff couldn't do enough for me, nothing was too much to ask, I was very impressed. I even asked specially for butternut squash with my dinner one night which wasn't on the menu and the chef happily accommodated me. The 2 dinners and 1 lunch I had at the restaurant were all very good. There is a pretty good choice for self-service breakfast although I would have liked to have seen fresh fruit instead of canned fruit and I thought that the decor/atmosphere of the breakfast room was not as nice as the hotel bar/restaurant area. You can also choose a cooked breakfast which I did one day and it was very good.

In addition, after I left I discovered that I'd left something in the room and they were very pleasant about locating the item and even sent it to me for free.

Couple of things that would make it even better - better blockage of light in the new annex bedrooms, make the bedrooms a little more luxurious like the lounge area of the hotel, a full length mirror on the wall in the room, robe and slippers. Also, they are using the new trend of just a duvet on the bed which I find too warm at times, it would be nicer if they used a traditional flat sheet and blanket plus duvet on top instead. I requested this while there and they did happily put a regular flat sheet on my bed although they didn't have a blanket.

The price I paid was 80 GBP/night which I found good value. I would definitely stay recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HowardCanning, General Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Hello Belgiantraveller 772

Thank you for your recent review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Manor House.

It's fantastic to get a review like this and for the team, makes all their hard work worthwhile.

If stranded in the area again, do give us a call!

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011 via mobile

Staff were very attentive with excellent service but food was very poor.
Evening meal ~ meat completely nuked and over seasoned. Breakfast very poor probably the worst i have ever been presented with. Poached eggs tasted only of vinegar ~ bacon over cooked and cold as were the mushrooms ~ No excuse as I was in the restaurant for 7:15am for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Hello Tramper88

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast or dinner with us. We are genuinely proud of the food we produce - freshly prepared from fresh, local ingredients - but am sorry that on this occasion it was not of the desired standard. Our policy is to always replace a dish if a guest is unhappy with it, although I appreciate it is sometimes difficult to do this if you are in a group of people or if pressed for time, as you may have been at breakfast.

We work hard to provide a friendly atmosphere, so I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and found excellent service and attentive staff.
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed here in early October and I could not have asked for more. The hotel is charming a wonderful mix of old and new.
The breakfast was nice and freshly cooked and again the staff very good.
I had room service both nights I stayed and with no extra charge for the tray (very nice change) the meals arrived very quick and very good portions. I would suggest that you ask for sauces if you want them as they do not come up with the tray, although the staff are very willing to go and get you some.
The rooms are spacious and clean and I had a lovely view of the gardens.
They do not have a pool but they do have a very nice gym and plenty of lovely walks around the garden.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Hello jayrnr

Thank you for taking a few moments to write this great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Manor House.

The staff here work hard to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere and I'm pleased that that came across. Great facilities, such as those you highlight are one thing, but it's the people that make a place stand out.

I'm also pleased that you enjoyed bothh dinner and breakfast. The chefs here cook as many dishes as they can using fresh, locally sourced ingredients and we are fortunate to have a good number of local suppliers too.

Breakfast can be a bit hit and miss in some hotels. We try and cook to order, so that guests can have something good, hot and fresh to eat before starting their day.

Hopefully, if you are in the Guildford area again, you will stay at the Manor House.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here recently for leisure purposes, in the 'new' bedrooms. The hotel is very obviously catered for business travellers - no luxury extra touches anywhere! The room wasn't particularly clean - dust on sufaces, only one cup but two saucers with the kettle, and a previous guest's writing on the bathroom mirror which could be seen when the mirror was steamed.

The bedroom and bathroom had poor lighting which you wouldn't expect from the new extension part. Due to the location of the room being on the ground floor, the cutains had to be closed most of the time for some privacy while getting ready in the morning, or spending time in the room during the day. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and the bedding was cheap.

The mirror was oddly placed inside the wardrobe, making it awkward to use - there is plenty of wall space so why not have a mirror on the wall?! For the same reason, I'm not sure why the TV and tea facilities were inside the wardrobe also.

The room was very bare - no artwork,or colour anywhere! The bathroom should have had some decent toilteries in it too.

The breakfast was great, although we sat with dirty plates at our table for a long time - waitresses just kept walking past without clearing them.

All of the staff we came across were very polite. I'm sure with some good management and a few changes, this will be a great place to stay in the future. As it stands now, this hotel is not good value for money. It's essentially a travelodge/premier inn in a nicer box.

Room Tip: I would ask for a traditional room. The new extension is not very nice - although lovely to have acc...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HowardCanning, Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry that your room wasn't perfect and will look into the points you have raised.

The Manor House is primarily a conference centre and corporate hotel, so you're correct to point out that our facilities are aimed at and designed for business travellers.That having been said, we also offer good value accommodation to all visitors to the area. At weekends, this is on a simple bed and breakfast basis.

The "new" bedrooms, constructed over a century after the bedrooms in the main house, were designed to be minamilist, uncluttered spaces with great natural daylight, where guests could either relax in quiet surroundings or work if they needed to. For this reason, as much as possible is hidden from view and colours are plain, other than for occasional bright splashes. Many guests prefer this style of room and ask for one each time they book. Ohers prefer the more traditional style of the bedrooms in the main building. We like to think that there is something for all tastes. First time visitors can get an idea of both styles by looking at the pictures on our website.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

The staff were lovely. The hotel looks fantastic But, it would have been really nice to have some good quality toiletries in the room instead there was some cheap shower gel/shampoo in a dispenser . Some body lotion would have been a nice addition too. We were only there overnight so it was not a problem, any longer and I would have started to feel and look like a prune :) My partner only had one complaint , the tv was a very small old fashioned style portable !!. I don't know if things were different in the rooms in the main part of the hotel.
On the plus side the breakfast was really tasty and we could sit outside and make the most of the sunshine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
HowardCanning, General Manager at The Manor House, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for this great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and had weather good enough to enjoy the garden.

We are gradually replacing the old portable televisions with new Freeview flat screen televisions. All bedrooms should have new televisions by the end of the year
Cheltenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed one night here and arrived quite late but were properly greeted and showed to our room. We were very pleased with the room as it was spacious and comfortable with a view of the quiet secluded garden.

The house is a mock tudor mansion built in the 1890s and refurbished to a very high standard and is usually used for conferences but works very well as a hotel. The staff were very friendly, the bar and other public rooms were very comfortable.

The breakfast in the morning was fresh and ample supplies of everything, the sausages in particular were excellent. I particularly liked the fact that they used normal toaster instead of one of those useless rotating contraptions. so the toast was properly done.

A bit on the pricey side but definitely value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write thispositive review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed our locally produced sausages and "proper" toast!
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stay here for a night for an office party. Staff very friendly and helpful. Arrived too late for lunch but they made up some sandwiches for me which was greatfully appreciated. Our bedroom was large with a very comfortable bed, plenty of hanging space and all toiletries you would need. I had forgotten to pack my husband’s razor and they got one for me. I didn’t know how to walk to the town from the hotel and as it was a cold, wet day didn’t want to try. I was dropped off by a friend so we would only have the one car to drive home hence the problems with lunch and the razor, but they couldn’t be more helpful.

The lounge and bar are comfortable, light and plenty of seating. Our room overlooked the gardens and although I didn’t go round the grounds as it was a cold day, they were very well looked after and I expect on a sunny day a great place to sit with a good book and a drink. The breakfast was plentiful and lots of choice. Catered for all tastes and waiting staff excellent.

The meal for our party was again excellent, everything arrived fresh and piping hot. Quite a lot of us stayed over and the feedback from everyone was a great place to stay and we want to do the same again this year as it was such a success. Just checked the website for prices and availability and realised my review hadn’t gone through so sorry for being late.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review. I'm glad that you enjpoyed your stay with us.

Been to The Manor House? Share your experiences!