Our sat nav delivered us to the narrow main street in the centre of Godalming; only after numerous enquiries and several abortive attempts to discover where we should have been did we finally arrive at the Manor House, two miles and more away. Maybe our sat nav was the problem. Unsuspecting first time guests should beware - but not let it deter them.
The Manor House was built in the 1890s by a master at nearby Charterhouse School. After several times changing hands and functions (IT centre, training establishment for nurses, etc) it now belongs to a company specialising in corporate conferences. For that purpose (which it must surely serve admirably) it seems to have a Monday morning to Friday tea-time schedule. Leaving week-ends free for individual guests such as we were. The down side is that the dining room does not serve dinner on Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening - though the excellent brochure generously recommends in some detail nearby places to dine.
That said, the accommodation could serve as a model for any hotel: our room was spacious, light, well appointed and immaculately clean, with large windows looking out on to the grounds. The inclusive breakfast offered no room for complaint.
With so much to praise, it was disappointing to be required to check out by ten a.m. - with a warning note that failure to do so could result in a £15.00 surcharge. We guessed that this may relate to the weekly routine when the corporate attendees would have yielded early access to the rooms to the cleaning staff. Otherwise, this admirable establishment seems to manage its dual function in a manner that deserves to be widely known.
We liked it a lot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Manor House is an award-winning conference centre and hotel in Godalming, that offers excellent meeting facilities and comfortable hotel accommodation in the picturesque Surrey Hills. Eleven flexible conference rooms, 31 tranquil bedrooms and a range of on-site conference facilities provide guests with the ideal setting for a variety of events. There are 31 en-suite double bedrooms in all – a traditional feel, recently refurbished, in the old house; Scandinavian design in the award-winning extension. Whatever your style, you will find everything you need at hand and the bedrooms calm, peaceful places in which to unwind, many with fabulous views across the surrounding Surrey countryside. The bedrooms are also geared for business, with plenty of well-lit desk space and a direct dial telephone to hand. High speed internet access is available free of charge and free wi-fi is accessible both in the bedrooms and throughout the building. Other business services such as photocopying and fax are also on site. We know that after a long day, tired minds need time to unwind. The gym offers a good range of cardiovascular resistance equipment and weights and there are separate ladies' and gents' saunas. Guests can also stroll around the peaceful grounds and there is a range of garden games available for sunny days. There is a small wooded area to explore and walks through the local countryside. It's important to eat well, so at the Manor House, the emphasis is on cooking tasty food that is fresh and seasonal, using ingredients that are grown or supplied locally. We also like to look after the basics and where we can, we buy ingredients that are sustainably produced, organic or Fairtrade. We also know that choice is important and offer plenty of options, from healthy snacks that will maintain your energy levels throughout the day, to special menus for those with specific allergies or diets. We are also approved by the Vegetarian Society. And when it is time to relax, Smiths bar & lounge offers somewhere to enjoy a quiet drink with a good book – or carry on networking and socialising with friends or colleagues. If you need to meet, the meeting rooms at the Manor House are not the bland, impersonal spaces you find in some hotels and conference venues. Whilst our focus is firmly on providing conference facilities for corporate customers, the Manor House is full of the character and charm you might expect from a country hotel. Meeting rooms all have natural daylight and many have stunning views or beautiful features such as old fireplaces, paneling or intricate plasterwork. And if you want to add a little extra to your conference, we have a meeting room specially designed to help creative thinking and can help with team building activities from treasure hunts to duck herding!Locally, if you do get a chance to go and explore, there's quite a list of places worth a visit including Denbies Vineyard, England's largest, Loseley House, the RHS gardens aat Wisley and Polesdon Lacey. Closer to home, a short walk away, Godalming is a picturesque market town with a pretty high street and a small selection of shops, whilst nearby Guildford is a busy, affluent town with great shops, restaurants and entertainment. Hop on the train and you can be there in 10 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Manor House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Manor House Hotel Godalming
- Manor Hotel Godalming
- The Manor House Godalming, Surrey