“Fabulous food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stag on the River

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Godalming
The Stag on the River
You added The Stag on the River to your Saves list
Lower Eashing Road, Godalming GU7 2QG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Godalming
Ixworth, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We went for a celebration dinner last week, and it certainly was as good or even better than the last time we had been in the summer of 2011. What I love about this place is that it is very relaxed as soon as you walk through the doors, there is no pressure to be smartly dressed or even if you're a little late. The staff are very attentive and the food, well delicious is an understatement. Lets just say I wish I hadnt had lunch on that day. Great steaks, melt in the mouth job, and loved by all. You have to try their selections of ice creams as well, particularly as they are only made down the road in Churt. A really lovely place and a meal to remember. Some have said only come in the summer, but I would disagree and suggest coming all year round, cosier in the winter with log fires burning .... if you've not tried it, now's your chance you wont regret it.

Room Tip: Didnt stay
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
bushey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We had a really enjoyable stay on Sunday. To everyone who moans about the windows etc this is a listed building with building constraints and is always going to have ill fitting windows. Thats life!

The staff are lovely. The guy who showed us to our rooms and was behind the bar was great.

The room was perfect. Beds comfortable. Linen very nice and generally they have made a really good job of the room and bathroom, decoration wise.

Everything was highly satisfactory. We are looking for property in the area so will stay again.

Oh anda thank you to the lovely lady in the morning who provided everything we wanted at breakfast.

Congratulations on the team.

A perfect hotel just off the A3 in a lovely spot. We enjoyed it in the winter my guess is that in the summer it's great with the patio area right on the river.

Room Tip: just don't listen to the moaning folk who have posted prior to this
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We found the Stag on the River after reading a review in the Daily Mail and thought we would give it a try, for a one-night break. We were pleasantly surprised, two crackling log fires in the restaurant/bar, on a really cold frosty day, and very friendly staff, Sam was very welcoming and professional. Our room was ready although we arrived very early. A lovely large clean family room. Without nit picking, I must say that although Sam switched on the heating when we arrived, the bedroom was very cold and didn't really warm up until next day, when we were about to leave, due to the fact that the window is very draughty, and we had unwittingly booked to stay on the coldest night of the year! The bathroom however was lovely and warm as the heating had been switched on before we arrived. The evening meal was very good, the restaurant was full, and was the same at lunch time. Breakfast was fruit, cereal and yoghurt with a choice of breads, cheese and parma ham. Possibly The Stag has changed some of its staff, as we found no problem with them, as claimed in earlier reviews. We would happily stay there again and recommend it thoroughly – but go when the weather is warmer !

Room Tip: We stayed in a larger room, the Shackleford, which I would recommend for extra space. We didn't...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were on our way to the duke of cambridge at tilford, but suddenly chanced upon the Stag, an old favourite of ours for some years. The food used to be fantastic, the last meal being a boxing day lunch that was out of this world. However the pub while serving good food and wine/beer, was dull and old fashioned needing an update. Its had it! Now its far trendier, all beige tones, dont think they've spend too much money in the bar/restaurant area, but its an improvment.

The food: We thought the menu was a little lack lustre and opted for burger and chips, as this was a quick lunch before heading home. Everything was good, including the kids fish and chips. There are more sophisticated dishes on the menu, but nothing really grabbed us and the specials board was running down as we were late in the afternoon.

The service: Excellent! Headed up by a lovely blonde (Eastern European?) lady, who was 100% smiles, always greeting people and making them at home. Service was great, we didnt wait long for anything. I can only imagine that this lady is new and possibly brought in to sort out the aforementioned complaints, she's brilliant and pleasant on the eye to boot!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Surbiton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

After reading previous reviews I was a little worried, but I need'nt have been. I stayed here for the weekend (Fri & Sat) and was impressed throughout our stay. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic and the location was beautiful. The room was very nice, with a lovely cosy bed, TV and internet - perfect! We really loved the choice on the menu and couldnt decide what to have as it all sounded so good. There was also a specials board with more seasonal dishes if you didnt like any of the menu choices. The portions were a good size and I struggled to finnish my main course, which was mostly because I really wanted to try the deserts. I will definately be back and would recommend this place if you are looking for a great little country pub.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Went for a meal here with work colleagues. There was 8 of us overall and we pre-bordered our menu choices. The building itself is beautiful, the setting also. It's easy enough to get to (if you know the area!) Even though we'd pre-ordered there was a fantastic selection available (I went with a Ham Terrine to start, Duck as my main and a Chocolate Torte to finish - all were delicious) Whilst waiting for the food to arrive I was browsing the standard menu and was pleasantly surprised by the vast choice also available.

I've read other reviews on here that have criticised the service but I would have to disagree. We were waited on perfectly. Our waitress was both prompt and courteous and dealt with all our needs more than satisfactorily.

Overall, our meal was fantastic, the service was great and the building is wonderful. I personally would have no hesitation in recommending The Stag as a perfect setting for a perfect meal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here recently whilst on business in the local area for a couple of days. From start to finsih the management and staff were incredibly helpful, friendly and efficient (I locked myself out of my car one night and it took quite an effort to sort it). I ate in the pub both evenings and cannot commend the food and service enough, it was refreshingly good.

I'm back again on business in January and enjoyed it so much my wife is making the trip with me!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!