“Overpriced!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marton Arms Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ingleton
Marton Arms Hotel
You added Marton Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Thornton-in-Lonsdale, Ingleton, Yorkshire Dales National Park LA6 3PB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ingleton
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Unfortunately I did not read the trip advisor reviews before staying at The Marton Arms or I would not have stayed! The room we were in no. 7 was scruffy and dated decor-wise and for £90 per night was definitely not worth it. The 4 poster bed is a modern metallic one! The worst thing was the noise from above which kept me awake from 3am as I could hear everything and the footsteps/toilet flushing etc etc seemed to go on relentlessly, I think better insulation is called for. The Bar Manager was very nice and helpful and the food was adequate but a lot more expensive than in Kirkby Lonsdale. All in all I would not return.

Room Tip: Don not stay in Rooms 7 or 8
Manager M, Owner at Marton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Sally B, Thank you for your review, we always value feedback from our guests to facilitate the development of our product. I sincerely regret that you were dissatisfied with our product however we are a little confused by your comments. The diners comment card which you completed after dining on your first night you rated us: food quality 4 out of 5, menu variety 4 out of 5, service 5 out of 5, atmosphere 5 out of 5, cleanliness 5 out of 5, value 4 out of 5, overall experience 5 out of 5 and you described the experience as lovely! I have inspected room 7 and, whilst decor is subjective, found it clean and tidy. Noise from adjacent rooms can be a problem in most hotels but I am dismayed that you heard contant disturbances throughout the night. In these circumstances we are always prepared to address these issues if they are reported to us. Best Regards, John.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A lovely pub with a welcoming atmosphere. The staff were very attentive. We paid an extra £10.00 a night to upgrade to a "decorated" room! It was decorated but looked a little tired. Unfortunately my husband and myself both had heavy colds so could only manage to stay for one of the two nights we'd booked on the Groupon offer. The room was clean and warm. the shower was very hot, so no complaints about the heating. We were disappointed with the bar, however, as The Marton Arms advertises itself as a real ale house. There were a lot of pumps but only a choice of 3 ales. The menu was very varied with a good choice of food, but the proof certainly wasn't in the cooking! My husband ordered Caesar salad which didn't contain any of the basic ingredients listed on the menu, which considering the price was disappointing. Our steaks were cooked as we asked but tasted strongly of burnt fat, which the chef admitted to the next morning as we paid our bill. Breakfast was good with again a good choice. Our experience does beg the question; does anybody act on customer feedback?
A few small improvements would make a huge difference.

Room Tip: Definately pay the extra to upgrade. Don't know what you'll get if you don't!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager M, Manager at Marton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments, we do welcome all feedback whether positive or negative. I am sorry to hear that your husband and yourself were under the weather and hope that you are both feeling better now. We do pride ourselves with our real ales, however at this time of year we simply do not have the trade to be able to justify having more than three or four cask ales on at one time. Once the season picks up we will have more choice. In regards to your meals, I have spoken to the Chef on duty that evening / morning and there appears to have been an oversight with the Caesar Salad. The Steak, it would appear was cooked to your liking, however, the burnt fat comment he does not understand as when all orders come on a clean pan with fresh oil is used at all times. If you would like to discuss further please do not hesitate in contacting me.
I very much hope to welcoming you back to the Marton Arms Hotel in the future.
Kind regards Lesley
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on a walking holiday with the dog (using a groupon). On booking asked if we wanted to up grade to a garden room for the dog which we did on arrival the room was cold no heating on and the garden room meant it had a door on to paved area not a garden.
After the first night and listening to the people upstairs going to the toilet every hour as the floor board were making so much noise. we did move to room 1 which was very good but this was also cold so the trusted fan heater came with us.
The rooms do need a refresh and some serious TLC not just a lick of paint. The staff (Sally) was very helpful but was running around with lots to do.
The restaurant food and drink is over priced for where it is but the quality of the food is good.

Room Tip: do not pay a supplemental for any room it's not worth it, if the price you are offered is good f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback we do welcome it. I'm sorry that you did not have a peaceful night’s sleep due to the guests above you moving around throughout the night, this unfortunately is out of our control. I note that you found the bedroom cold, which i apologies for, we have since took measures to insulate the door leading out onto the paved garden and hope that going forward this will not be an issue again. Having arrived at the Marton Arms Hotel in April, we have been decorating the rooms and hotel, however this is work in progress and we understand that everybody’s tastes are different and cannot always meet everybody’s approval. I am disappointed that you didn’t feel that the upgrade supplement reflect the bedroom that you were allocated and on this occasion, due to the issues with the heating, I would be more than happy to refund, without prejudice, the cost of the upgrade should you wish to contact the hotel. I hope to welcome you back to the Marton Arms in the future.
Kind Regards Lesley
Sevenoaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Wish we were still there! We were warmly welcomed which set the tone for our 5 night stay. Nothing was too much trouble. I even had my dirty walking trousers washed. All the staff looked after us so well from the moment we woke up to going to bed. Food simply delicious, not to mention the drinks and our bedroom was extremely comfortable. We are planning to stay again in the Autumn. Thank you to Lesley and all her team.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments, it was a pleasure welcoming such lovely genuine people. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the Autumn. Take care, Lesley and Team
Darlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

stayed here for two nights on a groupon offer last weekend with my husband. the location of the hotel is stunning corner of yorkshire dales and there is easy access to lots of fabulous walks, views and attractions. we found the staff to be friendly and helpful, if a little overstretched as the hotel was full due to the groupon offer.
on arrival we were shown to our room which was room 7 the "deluxe" room for which we paid an extra £20. I have stayed in many places and not fussy as long as the place is clean. I was mortified when I saw the room which was tatty and the bathroom was filthy smelly oldfashioned and dirty. I asked to see another room but the hotel was full. we had no option but to stay so with trepidation we went to the restaurant. it ws quite early so the place was empty and we were nervous about what we might be served so we played t safe with a gammon and sausage. the food was actually top class and the free bottle of wine just about drinkable and we had a lovely evening. the bar filled up with other guests and it was a warm and cosy atmosphere.
on going to bed we found our room to be freezing so we asked at the bar for a heater which was provided, however another couple at the bar weren't so lucky and told us they were also very cold despite the heating being on. we got the only heaterr
we found it very hard to sleep as the walls were paper thin and if someone went to the loo above us it sounded like niAgra falls. you could hear every cough and mumble from upstairs and next door.
breakfast was nice with a fair choice of hot meals but served in a depressing and tired old breakfast room.
I plucked up courage to shower on the second night and was an experience I wouldn't like to repeat.
we had a wonderful weekend visiting the ribblehead viaduct but the overall experience was disappointing and really spoiled what should have been a wonderful experience. never again.

• Stayed January 2013
Manager M, Manager at Marton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear RW, Thank you for your feedback we do welcome it. I'm sorry that you did not like the bedroom and that you found it to be tatty! this bedroom has recently been decorated. However, the bathroom and carpets yet to be done. Having arrived at the Marton Arms in April, the decorating of the rooms and hotel is work in progress. I was very disappointed to hear that the cleanliness of the bathroom was as not up to scratch, I can guarantee that this is not our usual standard. I have since spoken to the relevant people about this and feel going forward this should not happen again. Had this of been drawn to our attention at the time, we could have rectified. In regards to the heating, this is not a usual problem, hence only having one heater, the heating comes on at 2.00pm and goes off at 11.00 pm and is set to 21 degrees. I know that on the night in question it was a very cold night and we did turn the heating up on your request. I hope that throughout the rest of your stay it was warm enough for you. I would be more than happy to refund you, without prejudice, the cost of the upgrade should you wish to contact the hotel. I hope to welcome you back to the Marton Arms in the future.
Regards
Lesley and Team
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night, between Xmas and New Year, and we were delighted. The food was brilliant and the service warm and friendly. The room was cosy and well heated and the shower very hot. A night here and a walk at the local falls helped us recharge our batteries! Thank you - we will definitely return,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager M, Manager at Marton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Kathryn, Thank you for your wonderful recommendation. Best Regards Matt&Lesley.
Northumberland, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on groupon voucher. Beware of map information - it is in Thornton not in Ingleton, fine as long as you did not expect to be within walking distance of lots of facilities. Room pleasant though cool. Cosy quilt compensated at night. Food excellent and staff welcoming. Good value on voucher - not sure I would choose it at full price.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear ElaineRy, thank you for your review. Best Wishes Matt&Lesley.

Been to Marton Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!