“Dick Turpin rides again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Penleys Cafe and Bistro

Penleys Cafe and Bistro
Wilco 2010 Limited | 5 - 6 Trinity Church Square Market Place, Leyburn DL8 5BJ, England
+44 1969 623909
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 40 Restaurants in Leyburn
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Dick Turpin rides again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Beware of the Caesar salad which consisted of 3 Cos lettuce leaves, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 chicken breast sliced very roughly accompanied with a dollop of Tesco's mayonaisse ..... great value at £8.10 !!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Unchanging”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I call in for coffee once or twice a year and it never fails to satisfy. Big mug of piping hot cappuccino, clean and comfortable, great service from the two delightful young ladies on duty. I just wish the place attracted more custom.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Never been disapointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have a friend in Leyburn so visit here often. Always get an excellent lunch. Have also been on many occasions and had a great breakfast, I like the fact that you can 'build' your own breakfast. really sad that one of the reviewers was very disappointed..has always been good quality produce ( my partner a farmer we can know our sausages!) excellent and attentive staff. Have had to wait a while on some occasions but have always been for-warned of this. Great coffee!Can recommend the rib eye steak always cooked perfection!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Decent lunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We popped into this cafe/restaurant for a quick lunch whilst out and about. Leyburn is a small market town, very picturesque and functional at the same time. There is parking on the market square in the middle and very close to the venue. The restaurant is deceptively large and goes back a fair way with a number of tables and a large service/bar area. We ordered wraps, which were billed as being served with chips and salad. When they arrived they were very tasty but the chips and salad were no more than a token gesture. However to be fair the food was warm, well cooked and filling, all in all very enjoyable. It is a pleasant place to eat and the service is both pleasant and prompt.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Avoid breakfast here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Visited today, VERY disappointed!!!
We planned a stop in Leyburn for breakfadt after an hours drive on our way to Aysgarth, Reeth, Hawes for the day.
To start with there are no set breakfasts, there is almost of priced breakfast items and you "build your own " breakfast. Coffee was lovely and hot too, breakfast too a long time which I thought was a good sign, but when it came the first thing I noticed was that my fried egg had been broken when cracked but fried anyway and could have stood up on its own! Secondly I noticed the plated were stone cold, not room temperature, stone cold!!! My food was cold long before I finished!! I hadn't ordered sausages, but my hubby had, these were cheap and nasty, frozen and deep fried. Black pudding was 1 slice and 95p!! So very disappointing. The staff were totally hidden from us once we had been served so we had no one to complain to and actually didn't re-appear until we were leaving the door. £15 for 2 cold, cheaply sourced, deep fried, over priced breakfasts did not put us off to the best start of the day.
Would never recommend!!