“first b &b stay over.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Black Swan Hotel

Black Swan Hotel
You added Black Swan Hotel to your Saves list
Black Swan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   on the Market Place, Leyburn DL8 5AS, England   |
Ranked #18 of 26 Leyburn B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“first b &b stay over.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed here for the August weekend. We stayed here because it was near to the show ground as we were attending the wensleydale show. After a terrible mix up with another hotel in middleham we ( apparently we had not booked there despite booking a month in advance via laterooms.com,and receiving an email to verify this!!) Were offered here.
First impressions were pretty good,nice appearance outside,prime spot and friendly village. Our room was adequate but could of done with a little TLC on the cleaning of it. The staff were alright apart from the small blonde behind the bar,( I'm sure I've seen her mentioned before regarding this hotel!) She really doesn't look interested,and really does need to update her people skills. Everything seemed such a chore! =( The owner and his daughter and son were friendly and not to imposing. The food was nice and I really enjoyed the breakfasts,they were served promptly,but could have been a touch warmer! ( not a complaint just a tip!) I did however feel dismayed that upon asking for a table for evening meal,people walking in off the street were offered a table while we were made to wait despite asking before hand! I did remind the owner who said yes the next ones yours,but it wasn't it was probably the fourth after the next! I had my husband and two children with me and paid to stay b and b for two nights! Was nice nice to know paying GUESTS were not given preference over total strangers!! =/ (not!) Also didn't like the fact that a poodle was sat opposite me eating my meal with me! Despite a sign stating dogs not allowed!! Was beginning to feel if your face fitted you got better thought of! Overall not a bad establishment but would like to think if my points were taken up on it would be better. Nevertheless had a lovely time in the village and surrounding area which is beautiful. Definitely returning next year but going to choose my accommodation more carefully and book earlier to avoid disappointment!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square great views and quieter I suspect due to the bar.( we never he...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Redditch, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

my husband and i were tired after long day and high tailed it out of harrogate as far too noisy and busy and stumbled accross leyburn. the first thing that caught our eye looking for somewhere to stay was the black swan with the beautiful hanging baskets outside. the landlord was a laugh a minute and very down to earth . stayed the night before continuing into the dales and had excellent meal all very comfortable and would visit again .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hadleigh, Suffolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here after walking in Wensleydale, and we enjoyed the local ale (Semer Water by Wensleydale Brewery), and had a lovely steak here too, this was our second visit here, we were staying elsewhere during the weekend and we would consider staying here as we love the area, the friendly people and it's an easy 4 hour drive from Suffolk!

• Stayed September 2013
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

just stayed at the black swan in leyburn for 1940's weekend, one word perfect john the landlord' his son ' and all the staff made it perfect.clean rooms comfy beds good food good ales and a warm welcome. john is the perfect host mixes, plays music, cooks and cleans he never stops.cheers John from the jarrow and south shields lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've popped into this pub a good few times for a drink and sadly I have found the bar service slow and rather rude by 'some' of the bar staff.
The blond haired bar maid is more interested in the television or talking to friends than serving customers.
I don't complain easily and I have visited numerous times, but It happens each time this staff member is serving and it is just poor service.
I really like this pub but sadly it makes me want to go elsewhere..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jonwilliam M, Owner at Black Swan Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I believe that you have the wrong Black Swan Hotel. We are based in Middleham, again about 4 miles away from the Black Swan Hotel in Leyburn and have no bar/restaurant staff with Blonde hair. If this is the case then could you please kindly remove this review from here as the Black Swan in Leyburn does not have a Tripadvisor page.
Many thanks
Management
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at The Black Swan in Leyburn for two nights with my partner last week, we stayed in room 8 which was overlooking the market place.The room itself was light, airy and clean with a tidy ensuite bathroom. There were facilities for making tea and coffee which came in handy in the cold weather! The staff downstairs made us feel very welcome and we had some great chats at the bar throughout the evening. There was a large spirits collection and the man behind the bar even threw me a cocktail together! Although we ate out on our first night, we ate in the pub on our second and I must say we enjoyed it very much. My other half had the haddock.. which was HUGE. I am a vegetarian and asked my options at the bar. I was offered a pasta dish, soup, and cheese platter or a goats cheese and onion pie. I had the pie and it was lovely.The portions are fairly generous so be ready! The rooms are value for money, at only £50 a night for a double I was pleased with what we got. Throughout the day there were decoraters floating around upstairs and I was told the rooms on the top floor were recieving an update. All in all, we really enjoyed out stay. The price is the cheapest in town, and I can't fault our experience. I can't understand some of the reviews on here, although having looked, a lot seem outdated. If people are looking for The Ritz at the same price, I suggest the heart of the Yorkshire Dales isnt the place to go! Lovely pub, we will be returning in the Summer with our daughter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Neath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Accomodation is pretty basic, but clean, however unlike some other reviews we had no problem checking in, and found the staff welcoming and helpful. Food was O.K. - not good but acceptable.
I would use the hotel again for short stays (2 or 3 days) but any longer, I would probably look for something a bit more up-market.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!