“Enjoyed a lovely local beer and meal after walking the Dales!” 5 of 5 stars

Black Swan Hotel
on the Market Place, Leyburn DL8 5AS, England   |
Ranked #19 of 26 Leyburn B&B and Inns
Hadleigh, Suffolk, England
“Enjoyed a lovely local beer and meal after walking the Dales!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here after walking in Wensleydale, and we enjoyed the local ale (Semer Water by Wensleydale Brewery), and had a lovely steak here too, this was our second visit here, we were staying elsewhere during the weekend and we would consider staying here as we love the area, the friendly people and it's an easy 4 hour drive from Suffolk!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

just stayed at the black swan in leyburn for 1940's weekend, one word perfect john the landlord' his son ' and all the staff made it perfect.clean rooms comfy beds good food good ales and a warm welcome. john is the perfect host mixes, plays music, cooks and cleans he never stops.cheers John from the jarrow and south shields lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've popped into this pub a good few times for a drink and sadly I have found the bar service slow and rather rude by 'some' of the bar staff.
The blond haired bar maid is more interested in the television or talking to friends than serving customers.
I don't complain easily and I have visited numerous times, but It happens each time this staff member is serving and it is just poor service.
I really like this pub but sadly it makes me want to go elsewhere..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jonwilliam M, Owner at Black Swan Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I believe that you have the wrong Black Swan Hotel. We are based in Middleham, again about 4 miles away from the Black Swan Hotel in Leyburn and have no bar/restaurant staff with Blonde hair. If this is the case then could you please kindly remove this review from here as the Black Swan in Leyburn does not have a Tripadvisor page.
Many thanks
Management
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at The Black Swan in Leyburn for two nights with my partner last week, we stayed in room 8 which was overlooking the market place.The room itself was light, airy and clean with a tidy ensuite bathroom. There were facilities for making tea and coffee which came in handy in the cold weather! The staff downstairs made us feel very welcome and we had some great chats at the bar throughout the evening. There was a large spirits collection and the man behind the bar even threw me a cocktail together! Although we ate out on our first night, we ate in the pub on our second and I must say we enjoyed it very much. My other half had the haddock.. which was HUGE. I am a vegetarian and asked my options at the bar. I was offered a pasta dish, soup, and cheese platter or a goats cheese and onion pie. I had the pie and it was lovely.The portions are fairly generous so be ready! The rooms are value for money, at only £50 a night for a double I was pleased with what we got. Throughout the day there were decoraters floating around upstairs and I was told the rooms on the top floor were recieving an update. All in all, we really enjoyed out stay. The price is the cheapest in town, and I can't fault our experience. I can't understand some of the reviews on here, although having looked, a lot seem outdated. If people are looking for The Ritz at the same price, I suggest the heart of the Yorkshire Dales isnt the place to go! Lovely pub, we will be returning in the Summer with our daughter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Neath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Accomodation is pretty basic, but clean, however unlike some other reviews we had no problem checking in, and found the staff welcoming and helpful. Food was O.K. - not good but acceptable.
I would use the hotel again for short stays (2 or 3 days) but any longer, I would probably look for something a bit more up-market.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at the Black Swan for a couple of nights recently and had a very enjoyable stay. The family who run the pub were friendly and the atmosphere very pleasant. There is a good selection of cask ales and good pub food- I had the largest jumbo haddock that I have ever had- highly recommended to anyone visiting!! This is not a boutique hotel with ultra modern features but for the money you pay, you get a clean bedroom with large fluffy towels and a great breakfast in a central location

• Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

great position in market square-good beer/bar/atmosphere/friendly and perfectly ok food that we enjoyed.. Rooms in need of refurb but clean and we were happy there. Everything worked. Cash only. We shall return

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!