“A long wait for cold food, poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 25 restaurants in Helmsley
Cuisines: English
UK
“A long wait for cold food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

A trip on the bus to Helmsley and a decision was made to find somewhere to get food before the lunchtime rush, and Beck tearooms were found, looked appealing and empty. So we got a table, browsed the menu and placed an order with the only other customers already eating. 30 minutes later, a full house, all the new arrivals ordered and eating, and our sandwich and soup had still not arrived. We were in the most prominent position, the waitress' passed us everytime she went to serve others, but yet I had to get up and go to the counter to ask if there was a problem. 'Somebody skipped the line', I was told, 'it will be with you as soon as possible' 15 minutes later I had a cold sandwich not on the bread I had requested, my Aunt had soup not heated through properly. The guy that looked in charge apologised profusely for the wait, and deducted the price of our tea's, which moves my rating from terrible to poor, but if I hadn't been with my Aunt I would have rejected the food and left.It looked to be such a nice little place as well. I advice to avoid!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
Cottingham
“Super Soup”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

When we entered tea room there was an instant polite and friendly greeting from the staff. The "tea for two" was served up in a large pot, enough for two good sized cups each. The tomato and basil soup was delicious. The helpings were substantial, and the accompanying bread was excellent. For light refreshments, next time we are in Helmsley we will certainly call again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“More souvenirs than soup.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Drove into Helmsley, parked in the market square and found this tea room by accident.. Didn't really know what to have but settled for a starter and a sweet. The place was busy but the waitress still found us a table in the corner, returning swiftly to take our order.
The soup was enjoyable, the service very good, but the atmosphere was lacking, and we felt its lack of identity was the reason why the gifts on display were expensive and the menu overpriced. Would not hurry back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Middlesbrough
“Lovely food, pleasant surroundings.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Great food is served here, with a very good choice of meals and snacks. The service is good with friendly staff and the atmosphere is pleasant. clean and tidy. I would recommend the carrot cake. Good, clean toilets and the ability to sit inside or out to eat add to the list of pros. Definitely worth a visit. I don't find it too pricey - nothing is particularly cheap in Helmsley - I would say that the food is worth what you pay here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and Home Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Excellent tea room which does a great range of hot and cold meals as well as snacks and breakfasts. Sunday lunches and Christmas dinners are especially good, and we really enjoy the different home-made cakes and puddings, most of which are freshly baked on the premises, unlike some other establishments. Lovely spot to sit with a coffee or a tea and watch the world go by outside. Cosy comfortable atmosphere that doesn't try to be too trendy or pretentious. Friendly staff and owners are doing a great job, which should appeal to all ages. We were pleased to find the very reasonably priced gift shop upstairs.

Visited December 2012