“Nice and relaxing meet expectations” 4 of 5 stars

The Black Swan Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Market Place, Helmsley YO62 5BJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Nice and relaxing meet expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Arrived mid afternoon to be checked in by a receptionist who knew what he was doing. We then headed to the room and enjoyed the floor boards creeky as we made our way though a lovely old building. he room was cleaned to a high standard and had everything you needed, the television was a little dated but we wernt gunna be spending that much time in the room.

When we had settled we headed down stairs for a little bit of relaxation sat in front of the fire had drinks then went out for dinner. We ate at a wonderfull and authentic Italian restaurant and would advise anyone to try Guipetto's (Think thats how you spell it).

Breakfast was really good although was a little dissapointed at the selction on the buffet but all in all had everything you needed and the service was good to.

Really enjoyed a nice relaxing night and would advise anyone to head there if their expectations are right!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Had our Wedding Ceremony and reception here over the weekend of the 22nd/23rd October 2010.
We were assisted in the preparation of the wedding by the in-house wedding coordinator Nicola who was absolutely brilliant.
As we approached the weekend there was frequent contact in making the final arrangements, and we found Nicola easily contactable and available to make any amendments requested.
I cannot over emphasise how wonderful a weekend we had. The venue was perfect, the food was gorgeous with plenty of it, and the service was absolutely impeccable.
We have had so many positive comments from our guests in respect of our choice of venue.
I cannot recommend the Black Swan highly enough. Many many thanks for many happy memories ;)

• Stayed October 2010
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

For years my wife and I had thought of a stay at the Black Swan on a visit to N Yorks. So with father-in-law in tow we had an overnight stay in mid september. Fortunately I only booked the one night. This hotel is a disappointment. The rooms are tired and yes you still get a 14" tv in the corner on some old wooden cabinet. The chairs in the room are worn on the arms and you do get those annoying teddy bears sat on the bed with a note to buy me!!! Just like you get in Torquay in hotels that are stuck in the 1980's and Fawlty Towers. We had the evening meal within the cost and that was ok. Just about ok. But when retiring to the lounge afterwards the place was deserted! Of guests and staff! And this was about 9.45pm. You certainly wouldn't get drunk in this hotel unless you raided the bar yourself. Location is great for anyone wanting to explore North yorkshire but I would look for better value hotels that are modernised rather than the Black Swan. ps I didn't mention all the flies in the tea room and lounge.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

It was a mid week special of 3 nights for our wedding anniversary. Our room was ok.The bed and linnen were very comfy and we both slept well. The room was clean,but the lights was very dusty! All the drawers had cracked paper in them and not somwhere I would want to put my clothes! Having said that there was enoguh hanging space and drawer space in the wardrobe.The bathroom was clean but nothing special and the shower was hopeless! but I do like a strong shower,this was not..The deal included evening meals and these were lovely. Every night different and we never have a dessert as we were too full! I did find it differcult to understand the waiters, English was not their first lanuage and I did struggle to understand them, but they were all very pleasant.
The wine we thought was very expensive,I expect to pay more in hotels but at £6 a glass this was alot, the same for the coffee,we thought £7 for two coffees was alot and not included in the meal.
Overall it was a good trip but I think this hotel is over priced, I have stayed in other hotels for thier full price and the standard of room is much higher, they didnt have a flat screen TV and need a better fitted bathroom etc,but having said all that we did have a good time.
I would recommend to a friend but only if they could get a deal and not pay full price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This is billed as: Tea Guild’s Top Tea Place 2010. I'm afraid I don't think so!! Have just come back from Europe and £15 per head there would have bought one an afternoon banquet. Drove to the B S today as a late birthday treat for myself & a friend. All started well with a pleasant phone call to check & a good greeting waitress.

The 3 tiered silver server contained as follows: the 3 crustless finger-sandwiches were fine (2cm by2.5cm; salmon, ham, cucumber - some skin remaining), but on the small side, & the 2 small English cakes were of a high quality. The real weakness that should have been the coup de foudre were the two scones. There were 2 of us with 2 very dry uninspiring scones each & ONE small ramkin of cream, jam & butter a 2cm cube, for BOTH of us i.e 4 scones. Having checked with my friend who was scraping a meagre 1/8th onto her first half scone, I went to request this be doubled (I felt able to do this because I had in fact been with my husband in the summer to see this newly recognised tearoom. We'd sat in the garden & shared one pair of scones for which we were served an identical amount of butter/jam/cream as we were now offered for double the scones. At that time we had just enough quality jam & cream to disguise the uninspired scones & were determinedly up-beat. I decided then that I would treat myself & friend to a slap up birthday full monty in the autumn. Mistake.)

When we finally received our extra jam & cream - it wasn't exactly slapped down but you could tell that's what a new waitress would have liked to do; '& the butter?' I smiled. 'That TOO?' came the reply. 'This is what we always serve.' I referred to the summer's 2 scones.

Having had to stand one's ground - & finding the tiny tea pot of tea, with hot water top up, had become tepid & had to be stretched ridiculously for quite alot of carbohydrate, we didn't feel able to ask for more tea/water.

A while after the complaint the young man I'd asked for more, came to ask: 'Is everything OK?' in the same voice he doubtless used for every customer - with no recognition of the fact we'd spoken before: he didn't seem able to change that to a more appropriate - 'Is everything all right now, & is there anything else we can get you?' so got the inevitable - 'Well it's all right NOW' & no request for more hot water or tea which is what we really needed.

A saving grace was the lemon posset which was exquisit.

What a shame!! We so often still can't quite pull it off in the UK. This was a mixed experience in quality, quantity, sevice & savoir faire - the only really top notch aspect was the price, posset & small cakes. Had we paid the full £30 we would have felt cheated - at £20 (+voucher) it was bearable but disappointing. Repeat custom & word of mouth - no!

Stayed October 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed here with my partner who booked this hotel for my birthday this year. We'd previously stayed at the Feversham Arms just up the road, so we felt that this had something to live up to...
All, in all, a great hotel, perfectly positioned in the main square of Helmsley. Our room overlooked the shops and busy market town. It was comfortable with a king size bedroom and seperate lounge/ dressing room. I had 'Green & Blacks' chocolates waiting for me and a bottle of champagne upon arrival. The bathroom was clean and spacious.
Our meal was excellent with knowledgable staff bringing each course with a new glass of wine- I'd really recommend their tasting menu of six courses, the cheeseboard was great! Breakfast was cooked to order following a starter with a selection of pastries, fresh fruit, cereal and yoghurt. The mini pan au raisin were amazing- freshly baked and still warm and soft, yum!
I'd recommend this hotel...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Having lived in the area all my life I always knew the black swan was good but I had never been. I went to have a look at it for my wedding venue and I fell in love with the old character of the hotel. We went for our menu tasting and wow were we impressed. We arrived on the day to have pictures in the lovely walled garden with the best canapes I've ever had battered prawns with mango chutney, crab tarts, chicken and beef satees. yum. When we went into the rutherland resturant for the wedding breakfast it looked amazing and the food was just as good as when we had it for our taster, everyone had clean plates. The service was exallent too. After enjoying the rest of the day we went to see our room and it was fantactic we will definately enjoy returning time and time again to celebrate our anniveries. Then to top things off we woke to top quilty again for our breakfast. Thank you to the black swan for such a great day.

• Stayed September 2010

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!