My wife and I stayed here for one night as part of my 30th birthday present. She had booked us on a 'food lovers' package which included afternoon tea on arrival, dinner and breakfast.
We arrived early in the afternoon and were greeted by the concierge who efficiently dealt with our bags and then parked the car for us (not something we would ever expect people to do but this is clearly the norm for them and made us feel a bit special from the beginning!). We were checked in promptly and shown round the public areas to help familiarise us with everything on offer. The pool was open and in use but despite this and it being a lovely sunny day we opted to pass on this occasion. The receptionist then showed us to our room and gave a brief overview of its amenities, including the TV which was very impressive to say the least!
Having unpacked, we went and sat in the lounge enjoying the sunshine through the window and had a lovely afternoon tea which really helped us wind down after a long journey. Being already familiar with Helmsley, having lived in this part of the world several years ago, we decided against a wander into the town (no more than two minutes' walk) and borrowed a film from reception. A note on the inventory of their DVDs on offer in the bedroom - whoever wrote it, I admire your creativity! We spent a good quarter of an hour reading all the descriptions and having a good chuckle.
Dinner was, in a word, superb. We had the tasting menu with wines to match and enjoyed every element of it. Service was smooth and unhurried and we were looked after well.
We woke up the next morning still full from the previous night's dinner, but went to see what was on offer for breakfast anyway. Rather than the 'Full English', I opted for a bacon ciabatta with home made brown sauce, which was just right for my appetite.
Last but not least, before our stay was complete we indulged in the Rassoul mud treatment at the Verbena spa, which until was definitely something I had never done before! It was really good however and being able to use the rest of the spa amenities once the mud treatment was over meant we didn't feel rushed either. The staff were pleasant and unassuming which made me feel more at ease in a predominantly female environment (and females who clearly had more idea what they were doing than I did).
Overall we had a great time and we will definitely look to come back for a future special occasion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a picturesque market town by the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors, this elegant Hotel boasts superb dining, full spa facilities, a heated outdoor swimming pool and free Wi-Fi. Surrounded by glorious countryside, this wonderfully secluded retreat is a haven of laid-back luxury and indulgent relaxation. Famous for its welcoming hospitality, it blends the traditional comforts of its Victorian heritage with an irresistible boutique design. Beautiful, peaceful and thoroughly unique, one visit is simply not enough. Guests can choose from a range of 33 individually designed en-suite bedrooms and suites each with their own unique decor, style and character. Cosy and intimately homely, they all feature Egyptian cotton sheets, soft exquisite duck down duvets (or cotton blankets), free Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TV, DVD player, luxurious Anne Semonin toiletries, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. There are accommodation options to suit all purposes, including Small and Classic Doubles, Junior and Deluxe Suites and, for the ultimate indulgence, Luxury Poolside and Spa Suites. Superb food plays a big part in life at Feversham. Here diners can enjoy classically inspired dishes from a menu that draws heavily from fresh local ingredients such as rich Yorkshire game and tasty North Sea fish. It's also home to one of the most talked about cheese trolleys in Yorkshire, traditional afternoon tea in their cosy fireside lounge and an impeccably well-stocked cellar. Throughout the warmer months, dishes can be served poolside on the terrace and gardens. The hotel's award-winning Verbena Spa offers an idyllic haven from the pressures of everyday life. Here guests can kick back, relax and immerse themselves in luxurious indulgence. They offer a range of treatments from manicures, facials and massages through to full spa day experiences. Revitalise and enjoy their famous heat experience with saunarium, aromatherapy room, salt vapour room, monsoon shower, ice cave, foot spa, outdoor heated pool and hot tub. The Hotel is situated in the North Yorkshire town of Helmsley just off the A170. Complimentary on-site parking is available. The city of York is just a 40 minute drive away and it offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country. There is also a local train station at Thirsk, a 25 minute taxi ride away. For those flying in, Leeds Bradford International Airport is about an hour's drive from the Hotel. Beautifully located in the depths of the stunning North Yorkshire Moors the Hotel is the perfect place from which to explore this remarkable area. Yorkshire is renowned as a place of distinct yet diverse appeal, from the majestic Castle Howard to the Gothic seaside town of Whitby, the ruins of Rievaux and Bylands Abbey to luxury designer shopping, Michelin starred restaurants to quaint marketplace tea rooms, there is truly something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, LateRooms, Hotel.de, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel And Verbena Spa
- Feversham Arms Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa Helmsley, England