“Fantastic service, very relaxed, quality” 4 of 5 stars

Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 High St, Helmsley YO62 5AG, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
UK
“Fantastic service, very relaxed, quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We chose a petite double room as cheaper and expected a pokey room but was great.
Food fantastic although fairly small portions. Cheese trolley amazing!
Spa was one of the best I've been to.
Complementary morning papers and coffee if you like- a nice touch.
Quite pricey but definitely worth it for a treat!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Roubaix, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed here for my wife's 50th birthday and I wanted someting special in view of the fact I was treated to a five star in Dubai. I thought the latter would never be beaten, but this place did it easily.
We arrived to be met by excellent reception staff, and taken to our room , I had booked room 5. I was getting anxious when we were taken to room 36, a suite , and therefore upgraded without cost to ourselves to the tune of £200 . The suite was huge , two tvs, several sofas, and desks. Huge bed and two patio doors onto our own private balcony. The bathroom was lovely and well equipped but I do have to conceded the floor did appear a tad unclean. Wooden florrs and attention to detail including the B & O televisions which swivelled away when not in use. Own cds and dvds extensiv echoice if you wanted them.
Food excellent , staff so attentive and we had no problems with language. Again without prompting they brought out petit fours with a plate beautifully decorated wishing my wife a happy birthday.
Breakfast superb, and again super attentive staff. The spa was magnificent and we had two treatments, I was making my debut and it was amazing.
Most of the hotel guests lazed by the pool all day and in the garden waited upon hand and foot by staff so eager to please.In fact it got tiring being asked continually if I wanted anything.
I have been to many places/hotels and whilst views are so subjective and one has to be careful re recommendations I cannot speak highly enough of this place, even down to the egyptian cotton sheets. Now what would a geordie boy like me think of that rubbish ? Well refreshing actually and light. Do not knock it until you have tried it.
The comments on this site leave me speechless and I cannot substantiate nor ratify any of the claims on this forum. Pricey.. ..yes, but you know that before you arrive. Value for money possibly not , but if you want to spoil a loved one splash out and indulge.
The guy here was responsible for Seaham Hall spa and I know where I would rather stay.
Make your own mind up , don't listen to the whingers re the tv reception, the light bulbs making too much noise or heavens above the chimes of the church tower. Visit ,enjoy, indulge. Would it be recommended by so many good travel guides and theTelegraph if it was so poor? Would celebrities visit if so poor?.
You decide, I know my answer....and I know what my wife thought ..........

Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

My husband and I and another couple stayed at the Feversham Arms for 2 nights in August. We stayed in a room costing £235 per night which had stains on the carpet (room 9) and splash stains on the wall. The decor was basic and the furniture was tired. There was no air conditioning and the weekend was especially warm so we were uncomfortable. The bathroom was nice but small.

My issue lies in the attention to detail, for example, my friend asked for no anchovies on the salad - it arrived with anchovies. We asked for no butter on the sandwiches - it arrived with butter. We waited for half an hour to be served and half an hour for our drinks to arrive by the pool. We had to ask 3 times for the chair cushions to be put out in the morning. The food is lovely but over priced. We asked for a rare steak which arrived medium. My understanding is a rare steak is bloody. When we mentioned this to the waiter, the owner of the hotel actually came over to tell us the steak was rare and he'd tried it himself. I didn't expect to be confronted so I mentioned that it wasn't rare as it was pretty much cooked through and he got defensive and said, "the steak is rare but do you want it rarer than that? I just didn't think his attitude and approach was applicable. The deserts were devine however.

Disappointingly, the spa area really smelled foisty so we didn't use it. It just didn't smell fresh or clean. The treatments were ok, but nothing to shout home about. A Chamomile tea cost £4.25 which is just rediculous.

All in all they have invested a lot of money in the public reception but once you go beyond this the cracks start to show. I must also mention that the tables by the pool were so old and grey, clearly having not been protected by the elements.

So yes, we were disappointed and won't return. The bill came to over £1200 for both couples which we were very shocked at.

If you're used to high standards then this hotel isn't for you. The website and brochures are great but the quality doesn't follow through which was a shame.

york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed at the Feversham Arms for two nights as a treat for my husbands 40th birthday. I booked late so we had to change rooms on the second night from a spa suite (36) to a poolside double (2). The first room was brand new and beautifully decorated but was on the small side given the £400 price tag. The second room was definatley showing some signs of tiredness and again we thought that it was expensive for the size. Having said that everything else about the hotel was near on perfect. The food was delicious - both breakfast and evening meal. Service was exceptional, the staff really couldn't do enough for you. The spa was small but intimate and very relaxing. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay. If the price had been slightly less I would have been raving about this hotel and would have definately recommended it to my friends but we did come away feeling that although it was very nice it was also a bit pricey (the hotel is not a 5 star) and it is after all only in Helmsley - not Paris!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Reading through some of the of the other reviews, I can imagine that people would have some concerns prior to booking this hotel. I wonder/hope if the hotel management team have taken note of the previous issues and raised their game.
We came to stay here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We stayed in room 31- a deluxe/poolside suite. The room was recommended by the receptionist at booking as one of the nicest. It was lovely, but at £400 pn our expectations were fairly high. We had a balcony- this did overlook the church, but also the road and a bit of a building site( the hotel is clearly undergoing some sort of extension at the moment). Thankfully, the builders stayed away the whole time we were there!
The staff throughout the hotel were all exceptionally friendly and helpful.
We used the spa a fair bit. The treatments were very nice, but the rooms are fairly poorly soundproofed so you are fully aware of other people talking in next door spa rooms and also outside. The therapists were friendly and helpful.
The evening meals were well prepared, but I agree with a previous reviewer in that the tables in the main dining room are closer together than you would want. There is a smaller room adjacent to the main dining room which has tables more widely spaced apart and so gives a little more privacy!
Overall I would recommend this hotel as a good place for a weekend away, it could do with just pushing itself up to the next level as regards the finishing touchs that one expects when paying the room rates they charge.

Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

Greeting at reception and check-in was excellent. Had a pool side suite, well appointed although I though the bedroom was a bit cramped, clean good selection of books CDs, DVDs, but as ever always find the TV remote difficult to operate.

Generally found the service good, room service was excellent even when I cocked-up the breakfast order first morning. Reception did a good job sorting out a picnic lunch at short notice in well equiped back pack.

Hotel is nicely located not too far from the centre of the beatiful village of Helmsley. Good parking for free. Plenty of customer facilities, umbrellas, free high speed internet, reading material etc.

Dined in the first evening, had taster menu, lovely food and wine. Only fault was the tables are a bit close together in the dining room.

SPA experience was good, the lunch served was slow coming.

The only real failing is the bar man far too full of his own ego. When I ordered a gin martini I don't know how many times I had to walk over to my friend to answer his questions. I guess a good bar man would have spared my embarrassment by coming over to take the order from my partner directly. The drink was excellent the best gin martini my friend had ever had. When were we dicussing this with him the follow evening he was clearly proud of his skill. Fine. What I didn't appreciate was when asked what else I liked to drink, I said malt whisky, was to interrogated which ones, te be told each time I suggested one it was pretty poor in his opinion and to be told at length what he liked. Rather spoilt otherwise excellent service.

Stoke Newington, London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband, son of 2 years and myself stayed at the Feversham Arms for 3 nights. I really can not express how disappointed we are with the hotel, level of service and therefore value that this hotel offers.

We picked to stay in Helmsley at the Feverham Arms as we were attending a wedding in nearby Byland Abbey. (Incidentally Byland Abbey is beautiful and well worth a visit) We chose this particular hotel as the website made it look beautiful, luxurious and relaxed. The perfect spot to retreat to for a couple of days after a busy wedding. Because we were making it a long weekend and were taking our son with us, we chose to opt up for the more expensive poolside suite which offers a lounge, an extra bedroom and the great advantage of being, as the room suggests, next to the pool for easy access with our boy.

Upon check in at 6pm on Friday evening I was told at reception that I would have to park on the road as the car park was full. Not a big deal, but not great in that I have a toddler with me and am pregnant with baby number 2. The bags were swiftly taken to the room as I parked around the corner and by the time I returned they were in the room.

I was shown to the poolside suite (number 22) and was surprised at how busy the pool area was. It is quite a small area - the pool is in the middle of a type of courtyard with the hotel rooms and suites surrounding it. The space to get around the outside of the pool is cluttered with many tables and chairs, all in use. It was a beautiful day, so it is not surprising that they were occupied, but my general impression of this was that there isn't the space for so many people -(a billboard advertises to passers by to come in and enjoy afternoon tea by the pool, frankly this is just not suitable for the space) it felt cramped and honestly, a bit awkward negotiating our way past tightly packed couples trying to relax in their dressing gowns.

On entry to the room, everything initially looked pretty good. The suite although one of the largest at the hotel was not as big as the photos imply (not exactly surprising I suppose given todays clever lenses and camera tricks, but perhaps a little misleading) We were however relieved to finally be there folowing a very long drive from London and were keen to begin enjoying our weekend.

The first thing we did was to (attempt to) sink into the inviting looking sofa in the little lounge area.... I have never sat in a sofa so surprisingly uncomfortable. It was so hard, it jarred my back - really like plonking yourself down on concrete! Not what I was expecting at all. Nevermind - we laughed about that, thinking it was one of those things and ordered a refreshing drink from room service while we set about putting our luggage away.

The problem really is that it wasn't just one of those things... there were many, many of those things over the course of the stay that continued to chip away at our experience of The Feversham Arms Hotel.

Initial reaction over, we started to notice things like how dirty the room was - pulling out a chair at the table in the lounge which had an enormous dusty hairball stuck to the leg. Drawing a finger along a black lampshade which exposed thick dust. Hair clogged up in the pluhole. Cobwebs surrounding the loo brush in the bathroom.

Then , the general tiredness of the room, which has been mentioned in numerous other reviews. The Roman blind in the bedroom ripped at the edge, the stains on the chair cushions and rug, carpets lifting around the edges of the room, ripped upholstry on the seams of the armchair. Lampshades where the piping has come unstuck and flaps around in the draft the aircon. Tables with ringmarks all over the polished top. Thick deposits of limescale build up on the floor of the shower and in the shower head. Downmarket and cheap.

I can't even redeem any of these things by saying at least the bed was comfortable.... It was, as per the sofa, really hard. It could be that this bed issue just boils down to personal preference. But we sleep on a medium - firm matress at home ourselves, so we don't look for super softness in beds. There was also no matress protector on the bed - I'm not talking about something watreproof and scratchy, just another level between matress and sheet. I have never been able to feel the conours of the matress beneath a single fitted sheet in a hotel before.

I can only describe the service as poor. (exception being the receptionists who were very good and our babysitter Lottie who was brilliant) The waiters/tresses were surly, un- friendly, unattentive and frequently made mistakes. I can only assume they are unhappy in their roles and have not been trained adequately. Examples are drinks being moved from the lounge to the dinner table and each person receiving the wrong drink, ordering a pineapple and soda (which the waitress repeated back to me, of her own choosing) and receiving a pineapple and tonic water, declining a recommended starter of risotto and receiving it anyway - being told that we did in fact order it.
Mostly English is a second language here if staff is not management or reception. This would not be a problem if the training was sufficient and the staff therefore took pride in their roles. I don't think I saw a smile from anyone. Quite depressing and like a cloak of doom, whenever a member of staff came near, it was like a dark cloud descending.

After a long, wonderful, emotional wedding on Saturday we longed for a peaceful, relaxing sunday. Having arrived back in the night, we found no breakfast menus to complete for roomservice in the morning. Too fatigued to wait around for them that night, I assumed it wouldn't be a problem to order breakfast in the morning.
I ordered breakfast at 8am and received it gone 10am. (I called reception to chase it up at 9am) This was really not the way I wanted to start the day. At no point did anyone imply it would take this long and I might be better off taking myself and my son to the restaurant, where i can only assume I would not have been left hungry for 2 hours. Disgraceful. I was told by reception that the kitchen was experiencing a very busy morning.... I suggested that it should perhaps be expected that on a sunday morning the kitchen would likely be very busy witrh people wanting breakfasts and that if they weren't grossly understaffed, they were certainly hugely inefficient.

The final straw.
When we arrived at the hotel and were shown around the suite we were shown a cuddly toy dog which has a 'please do not disturb' sign around it's neck to place outside the door should you (surprise, surprise) not want to be disturbed. When it came to 1pm and my son was nearing nap time I decided to stay in the room and nap with him whilst my husband went for a wander around Helmsley. We left said pooch outside the room and settled for a little sleep. Half an hour in, having ignored the phone call to the room, the cleaning team knocked loudly not once but twice before marching in to begin their clearup. I don't usually get very cross, but this was the last straw for me and being wrenched out of a much needed sleep made me furious. At that point having in no uncertain terms ordered them out of the room I made the decision to speak to the manager about the shambles that this hotel resembles.

He was decent enough to listen to our complaints without trying to defend any of them and agreed that a lot of what we were pointing out was inadequate and embarrassing. As we were discussing the issues laid out above, the sad remains of breakfast were still languishing on the wall that seperates the suite from the poolside guests, 4 hours after finishing! The waiters must have walked past it 50 times and done nothing!

An adjustment was made to our account, but the total cost of staying at the Feversham Arms still fell marginally short of £1000 for 3 days.
I sincerely hope that a large overhall is imminently due to this hotel, not only in the rooms but in the training of staff and perhaps a re-think of how they manage the pool area. (Forgot to mention the pool cover is barely worthwhile as it is in tatters, in manner of being clawed at by giant angry cat)

We didn't use the Spa, so can not comment on that. I did howver note that even as hotel guests, you would be expected to pay £25pp to use the hot tub/jacuzzi area which is outside by the pool. Not impressive at £405 a night.

The food, when it did finally arrive for breakfast and at dinner was very nice indeed.

In conclusion the hotel seems to have modelled itself on the likes of The Firmdale Hotels - The Covent Garden Hotel, Soho Hotel and Charlotte St Hotel etc. We have stayed at all of these hotels, they are in a similar price bracket to the Feversham, but my goodness, the difference in quality, training, attention to detail, objectives (- i.e their job is to make sure you have a great stay. The true meaning of hospitality) Is so vastly different it is laughable. (Although if the purpose of this trip had been a romantic weekend away and not my best friends wedding, then believe me I would be crying not laughing)

Save yourself the disappointment. The price is soooooo wrong for the quality you receive.
As another reviewer posted - don't be fooled by the glossy website. Certainly don't listen to Alan Titchmarsh!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!