“Excellent resource for the stressed” 5 of 5 stars

Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 High St, Helmsley YO62 5AG, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Ampleforth, United Kingdom
“Excellent resource for the stressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is the jewel hidden away in this quiet market town. The Spa is just what is needed after a long hard year at the grindstone of modern life. Attentive helpful staff who know what they are doing in an atmosphere of world class luxury. Lunch was delicious with the pheasant especially good. We were the only people having lunch (in the week before Christmas!) so in effect it was our own private dinning room. Yes of course its expensive but its an old rule that you pay for what you get. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I booked the spa package as a treat for my sisters birthday, the whole experince was extremely disspaointing to say the least. We were not shown around the spa and as a result were unsure of the facilities, however after I asked for a tour I soon discovered that the outdoor hot tub (an expected highlight of the trip) was faulty and unusable.
The food was rubbish, my sister ordered a sandwich that had one of its main advertised ingredients missing! The massage I received was so half hearted, it missed out of a full body routine the foot massage, and neck and shoulders, plus the lights were on throughout and teh therapist actually stopped the treatment for a few seconds, I was 99/ sure she was on her mobile phone!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Feversham A, General Manager at Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Ms Craven, thank you for your comments to which I have responded in great detail already as a result of your initial email and followed it by a gesture of goodwill. It should also be said that whilst you were not happy with your treatment, your sister was and I feel this should be mentioned to reflect a fair and balanced indication of our spa treatments, noticing also the reviews given after and before yours. I am very sorry that the cranberry was missing from your sister’s sandwich and our head chef joins me in apologising.
However, I find it somewhat sad that when we endeavour to respond with care and detail, with sincerity and ultimately with a tangible gesture of apology to your complaint, there is a further need to broadcast a sense of bitterness. Furthermore, to accuse the therapist of using a mobile phone, without absolute proof is offensive as our spa therapists are not allowed and would not bring a mobile phone into a treatment room. If our guests are unhappy with anything during their experience with the hotel facilities or spa, indeed any element, we have a policy to remedy, correct and address the aspect of dissatisfaction. If we are not informed that there is an issue, we are plainly unable to do this, particularly when you were asked at different stages if everything was satisfactory.
Many thanks for your custom, your views and I am sincerely sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Visited this hotel for a surprise birthday celebration after being highly recommended by a friend. It lived up to expectations although it was rather expensive. We booked the room upgrade and on arrival into our suite we had a welcome bottle of champagne, plus chocolates and birthday card. There were a few minor imperfections eg the door handle came off in our hand, the television socket was loose and untidy, a light fitting in the ceiling was hanging proud. However the spa was a lovely experience, very relaxing, although it was a bit shabby (mosaic tiles missing in aromatherapy chamber) and our meal was delightful, but they were rather stingy with the cheese board. However this said it is a lovely hotel, the staff were very attentive and the ambiance is very pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is lovely, our room was very good , lovely furnishings , beautiful bathroom etc etc. We went down for dinner with a good appetite after having had a swim in the outdoor pool and were left very disappointed. The minimal portions were just not funny , my son ordered the soup, which he finished in two spoonfuls. My beetroot salad was tiny , I thought we had been given the taster menu by mistake. The main course was no better and my vegetarian dish was no bigger than a small starter . We ordered dessert as we were still hungry , my son had the banana dessert, it didn't even include a whole banana , my chocolate dessert was just a spoonful of mousse. At £45 per person this was just ridiculous , I have eaten in many excellent restaurants and never been left hungry but this one took the biscuit, so to speak ! It is such a shame to spoil what is a lovely hotel with good facilities, with a disappointing meal . We had to go down for breakfast early the next morning as we were so hungry !! The breakfast by the way was very good !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Recently had 1 night with my husband, best friend and her partner. I couldn't fault anything at all. The suites were fantastic. We had the taster menu in the evening which was delicious. The service was friendly and professional. We were made to feel special both at dinner and breakfast. Love visiting Helmsley, particularly this time of year. Will definitely stay here again. Thanks very much to all at the Feversham Arms.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Helmsley is a beautiful little market town and the hotel is suitably inkeeping with the architecture. We stayed in a standard room which was lovely-we had no complaints with the accommodation at all. The spa is small but the staff were very helpful. My husband and I were both looking forward to the outdoor hot tub but it was too cold. A water temperature of 34 degrees in winter is not adequate. We both chose our meals from the a la carte and we were impressed with the quality. The portions are small but beautifully presented and very tasty. By the end of the meal we were both comfortably full. My major criticism of this hotel is the price of the drinks. A large glass of house wine was £10.90 which I felt was obscene. Unfortunately, judging by the calibre of the cars, there were obviously people staying there with more money than sense. We decided to pay corkage on our own choice of wine rather than risk £23 on two glasses we may not particularly like. We were obviously the youngest of the clientelle and although I would recommend this hotel to my peers, I would advise them to have pre-dinner drinks in the lovely Feathers hotel in the main market square-somewhere that also had rather more atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

From the minute we arrived to the minute we left my husband and I had a sublime time. Our Junior Suite was lovely, the fire was lit, the champagne cold and the bed comfy. The tasting menu was outstanding and the wine list extensive. Our waitress was friendly, attentive but not intrusive - a credit to the Hotel. Andreas was very knowledgable about wine and cheese although we did disagree about who makes the best bread, (him - the Germans me - the French), Breakfast was as it should be, cooked to order and to perfection. The next morning we enjoyed the outdoor hot tub and the Verbena Spa in the cold November air. It is clearly obvious that all the staff are very well trained. They are totally focused on the guests enjoyment, which in turn made our stay a fantastic experience and they are fondly regarded. I do laugh at some reviews, although I do appreciate that you can't please all the picky perfectionists all of the time……………..

Room Tip: We stayed in Gorgeous Room 19. It is on the main road, so if you absolute quiet I would suggest one...