“5* accommodation 5* Surroundings 5* welcome :)” 5 of 5 stars

Laskill Grange
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   nr Hawnby, Helmsley YO62 5NB, England   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Helmsley B&B and Inns
County Durham
“5* accommodation 5* Surroundings 5* welcome :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

WOW what a place. We stayed in the 'Coach House' cottage which had amazing character and comfort, the cottage was home from home and made our stay more than comfortable. The coach house was well equipped and very homely. The area surrounding Laskill Grange was superb and very quiet, the views from the area are second to none. Sue, family and staff were very friendly and we couldn't have felt more at home. We will most definitely be back in the summer season to get more out of the area.

As expected from where Laskill Grange is located there is no phone signal which is a bonus for peace and quiet.

Thank you for a lovely time and sharing your place with us.

* Hot tub is very relaxing :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in Foxglove Cottage-self catering. It was a lovely little cottage with no signal and no internet which was just what we wanted. The views over the garden were really nice. Sue and her helpers were excellent, and met us on arrival even though we were very late.
We enjoyed a very reasonably priced breakfast on the last day in the main house, which was ideal as we needed to head off quickly. Sue was very accommodating and an excellent host.
The Hot tub was in a secluded corner, just next to our cottage which was a real pleasure after a days walking on the moors.
The cottage really is in the middle of nowhere, its the perfect break away.
We intend to come back again...already looking forward to it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

A long time ago, before I drove, I stopped off at Laskill Farm - as it was then - on a west-east walk over the North Yorkshire Moors between Thirsk and Scarborough. I was given a good farmhouse welcome, breakfasted well and went on my way fortified by a solid Full English Breakfast with coffee and toast.
Not long after - when our two older kids were still at Junior School and the youngest was at the start of her academic life - we stayed on-site in the caravan for a week self-catering. The welcome was as warm then as it was this week when I had a room to myself for four nights.
A little to the north of Helmsley on the Bilsdale road to Stokesley, and at the beginning of the back-road via Hawnby, Boltby and Felixkirk to Thirsk (the route in reverse of my walk in the 1990's), Laskill Grange is handy for touring the Moors and a jumping-off point for the Dales to the west and York in the south-west.
I'll go back again, as I have twice now, when the occasion arises..

Room Tip: Within the farmhouse itself are several rooms above the kitchen/dining room on the north side of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at Laskill Grange for a long weekend in October 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The converted barn we stayed in slept 6 people in three en-suit rooms. The rooms and cottage are spacious and well equipped.

Breakfast in the old farm house was very nice and set us up perfectly for a hard day of mountian biking.

These cottages are very secluded and peaceful with a pub about 2 miles away; Helmsley is 5 miles away.

I'm suprised by some of the negative comments on trip advisor as we really enjoyed our stay and Sue, Mandy and the team couldn't do enough for us and are very pleasant people.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 3 bedroom (6 people) Granary
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed in the Granary, a self catering cottage. It was very well equipped, the only criticism that it is a little dark in the living room. The accommodation was ideal for us; a downstairs ensuite room for elderly mother and 2 upstairs ensuite rooms. The bathrooms were interesting with beams - you have to watch your head! There was plenty of hot water and excellent showers. Plenty of crockey etc and dishwasher & washing machine. The cottage has a small patio and is wonderfully quiet. Sue was very friendly and helpful, we had several queries and all were dealt with promptly and willingly. The digital switchover happened while we were there and so TV is now digital. there is no mobile signal but no problem with wifi in and around the farmhouse. We had breakfast in the farmhouse one morning, a lovely treat. The location is fantastic on the edge of the moors, near to Helmsley & Riveaulx.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the charming and cosy Foxglove Cottage it was perfect, we booked on a B&B basis and also had evening meals delivered to the cottage, the food and service morning and evening was excellent. The owner Sue Smith and her polite staff made us feel extremely welcome, what lovely people. A return visit later in the summer is a must for us.

Room Tip: Foxglove Cottage perfect for couples
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Preston. Lancashire.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed at Laskill Grange for two weeks in August/September.
I booked a single on suite which turned out to be a single room with the bathroom down the hall.
The room was approximately 8 foot 9 inches square with an old built in wardrobe.
The bed is the smallest I have slept in since I was about twelve years old. The TV was fixed to the wall so you could only watch it from one position which did not matter as there was a very fuzzy signal when you got one, but most of the time no signal. There is no mobile phone signal of internet access, despite being told that there was, so for anyone on business it is no use.
Staff friendly, but does not make up for the poor accommodation.
The rates charged are far more than the place is worth, & it needs a make over by experts.
If you like quite then this is for you, if you want comfort & contact with the outside world, then stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car, or find another B & B.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
laskillgrange, Owner at Laskill Grange, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Whist always ready to welcome any constructive criticism what surprises me most about this review is that the guest did not raise one of these issues
with me during the whole two weeks - had that been done I would then have endeavoured to address and resolve any problems. If things were so bad I,
for one, would not have stayed anywhere for this duration and would have found alternative accommodation.

Moving on, I feel I must address some points raised. The room was never described as en suite (or "on" suite for that matter) but in fact as "private"
and solely for the use of the occupant of this room and "down the hall" equates to having to walk only about 6ft from the room.

One thing about Laskills' location in the BiIsdale valley is that TV reception is not always perfect and work on the local transmitter during the analogue/digital
switchover has not helped. An adjustment to the aerial is often the only remedy required. Had I been told of the poor reception it would have been remedied.

Poor mobile reception for some networks is also an issue (and a blessing to some!), sadly one beyond my control, but there is a public payphone (installed at my request) on site and in an emergency the farmhouse phone could be used. Also there IS a central WiFi hub which is available & free for any guest to access - I know it works because I use it everyday. Anyone needing internet access for work or pleasure does have access to it.

Finally, to infer that we are isolated from the outside world is simply incorrect. Laskill is only just off a main road and 5 minutes away is the busy market town
of Helmsley which has numerous shops, pubs, restaurants and other facilities. The local infrastructure provides easy access to the coast, the NY Moors of course,
and places of historic interest such as York and Castle Howard.

Been to Laskill Grange? Share your experiences!