“Why didnt I learn the first time?” 1 of 5 stars

Chequers Inn
High St, Maresfield TN22 2EH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Maresfield B&B and Inns
Truro, England, United Kingdom
“Why didnt I learn the first time?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Again I had to make a rush visit to the area and thought I would take a chance + stay here again. I managed to get a room + requested a quiet room this time. I thought as it was January that the stifling heat in the room wouldnt be as bad and I stupidly forgot all the other bad qualities this "hotel" has.

After a 6 hour drive I was shown a tiny room with a sub-standard bathroom and then proceeded to try sleep in the WORST bed ever. Not only did I have to contend with the constant creaking floorboards from below, besides and above me but I also could hear the dining room and kitchen. It was so loud I thought people were moving furniture.

As the hotel is arranged so that you walk through the dining room to your bedroom, I was reluctant to walk (looking dishevelled after a long journey) all the way back to reception to complain. As there was no phone in my room I had no choice but to try and sleep. The mattress was SO lumpy and I had springs poking in me all night. I managed about 2 hours solid.

The facilities in the room are not great. No hairdryer, no decent coffee, ONE bottle of water and no hot chocolate, rubbish pillows and old stiff windows.

The waitress in the morning did not know how to answer when I told her Id had a very bad sleep, so she slunk off to get my "ok" breakfast. The guy who checked me out didnt even ask me how my stay was.

Hugely disappointed, I regularly have to visit the area - plus many family members do too. I will stay in the nearest travel lodge next time.

Room Tip: I have stayed in TWO rooms there now - the first was at the front of the building - VERY noisy and s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Haslemere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here wth a few friends 2 weeks ago.

After driving across for country in the poruing rain it was a pleasing site that met my eye, the location is superb and the bulding very nicely renovated, after a few dinks in the bar which was cosy with good service i checked out my room and found it to be modern, very nicley furnished and very clean, the only thing lacking was a hairdryer i later found the bed to be comfy and the location very quiet so i had a good sleep and my bed was comfy, breakfast the next day was good and the service throughout the stay first class, I would stay again

Room Tip: My room was booked for me i was not unhappy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Somerset England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we booked a suite via late room and all details were confirmed, whilst driving to the hotel, over 200 miles, we were telephoned and told that the suite was not available, due to someone else booking it? They placed all the blame on late rooms. And were apologetic. We were offered a double room. when we arrived we had a choice of 2 different rooms, we chose No.4. We had wine in the bar during the Afternoon and asked for their 'home made ' pork scratchings but didn't have any. Later we asked for some chips but chef not in but arrived a little while later but still unable to serve us chips as had to prepare for evening dinner (it was only 4.30p.m., how long does it take to cook chips???) We decided not to have a meal due to our disappointed and let down and went to the Bull on the Green which was great. As we were leaving to go out that night we asked for a hairdryer as not one in the room and was told it would be arranged - it never was! The towels were far too small and broken toilet roll holder and the window was broken. Breakfast was ok but had to wait half an hour for it. Another guest came for breakfast to be told there were no sausages left... The hotel was not fully booked. Really disappointed for a Johansen hotel which has good reputation and will not stay there again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Maresfield hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Marco Pierre White's Chequers Inn in Maresfield - a lovely area. It has been tastefully refurbished but the bar and restaurant still have their charming 'olde English' feel. The staff deserve a special mention as they were fantastic - completely faultless. We didn't have dinner there but the breakfast menu was varied and very good. Value-wise we got a great last minute deal through Late Rooms.

Our room was modernly decorated to a high standard and perfectly comfortable... until we tried to go to sleep. The duvet was ultra thin (I suspect the place gets rather warm in the summer) - and not really sufficient for a midwinter night. But - in stark contrast to many of the other reviews here - the main problem was the mattress. It was one of those whereby you have to reposition your ribs according to the springs! We stay in dozens of hotels on business each year, and I have to stay that this is probably the worst bed we've ever slept on (we had Room 3, for the record). That aside, would happily return - just maybe on the promise of the bed having a mattress topper!

Room Tip: Commuter traffic during the week means that the road outside is pretty busy from about 7am - so you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked this hotel because we were going to dinner with friends and the hotel was nearby.
The service was good the bed very comfortable and our room was warm and cosy.
We had a wonderful breakfast and because my husband is coeliac we were expecting for there to be lots on the menu he couldn't eat, but amazingly everything was gluten free.
It was a little noisy because it is an old building but we slept wonderfully.
They were having problems with their WI-FI but over all I would stay again and although the menu was quite expensive it looked wonderful as did the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed on a Thursday night in one of the suites. The room was of a decent size with a very comfortable bed, although it was a little rough round the edges. Also being at the front of the building and with only single glazing it did suffer slightly from road traffic noise. The actual building must be centuries old and is full of character, even having a well in the reception area. We had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent. Breakfast was included in our package and was freshly cooked and most enjoyable. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Big expectations and no results! Arrived to a lovely setting and dining room. The stairs leading to the hotel are through the dining room (so you have to walk through people eating). We were shown to the top floor where it was very, very cold. There was a broken fire exit constantly open beside our bedroom door (very unsafe) with fire exit stairs leading down. The door and fire escape wasn't even closable due to the damp setting into the wood and causing it to swell. Leaving valuables in the hotel isn't recommended for this reason, as easy access is available to others outside of the hotel.

The bedroom was lovely, however the windows wouldn't open so our room itself was boiling hot.
The building is very old so all the floorboards link to one another - we had a baby beside us and could hear everytime anyone got up with crying and squeaking floorboards
Out bathroom wasn't up to scratch - the shower was so so small, with the showerhead just about fitting into the shower curtain. The lino didn't reach the bath itself so there was a big gap of floorboards, the door coudn't shut to the bathroom because of a swelling floor/poor design.

We ate in the Marco Pierre White restaurant the night before and the food was OK, not amazing (as expected) and thought it very overpriced. A waitress also spilt an entire pint of cider down my partner (he was wearing clothes for a wedding the following day) and all she offered was a hairdryer? no dry cleaning? Asked us to move tables!

I wouldn't recommend it if i'm honest. Rooms cost about £150 a night and i've stayed in nicer premier inn's.

Room Tip: Check the fire exit on the 3rd door is closed as to ensure the safety of your belongings!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!