“Good value and a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Cockhaven Manor Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bishopsteignton, Teignmouth TQ14 9RF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Teignmouth
Port Talbot
“Good value and a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights while enjoying a wine tasting break at the nearby Old Walls Vineyard. The building itself has character, in that it isn't like the many hotel chains that dominate the country these days, and likewise the staff couldn't do enough to help us.

Our room was basic but clean, which was all we wanted. We had to report a fault with the cold water supply on the first morning but this was resolved for us while we had breakfast. The double bed wasn't the best, but not terrible. Our room had a basic metal frame and sprung mattress.

We spent some time in the bar due to the terrible weather during our stay, and we enjoyed the local ales on tap as well as the local wine, which we learned about during our vineyard tour.

When the weather did improve however, we walked down to Teignmouth from Cockhaven Manor, which took us 1 hour 10 minutes.

We were delighted with the restaurant. The choice on the menu was enormous and the food was sublime. The service was great too, very prompt and professional.

We'll definitely be returning here for some short breaks.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Excellent value for money with good food. Staff were very good with no language problems! Room was perhaps a little tired but was clean. Good views of the River Teign and Shalford. We shall be going again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I booked late for just one night, and was surprised to be offered the 'Four Poster' bedroom. This is a lovely room (room 8) with a fantastic view over the river. The hotel itself is very olde wolde and I don't think I could have picked better for a one night stay and after reading other reviews, I'm sure I wouldn't have bothered.

I can say the the staff are very helpful and the full English breakfast was at its best. The hotel is very much based around wedding parties etc, and I don't think my room would have been available on a Saturday at short notice... but overall, a very nice hotel and I think I would return.

On the down side... staff need to clean showers out better, and there's nothing worst that pulling hairs out of the plug hole from previous guests. There was a 'Sani Pump' fitted to a toilet near by that would pump now and then through the night which wasn't quiet. Also, the curtains need fitting the runners or you could pull them off as i did!

The hotel is a 2 star, and it could do better..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Whilst I've not stayed at the Cockhaven as a guest, I have eaten in its restaurant on two occasions. Both were terrible, primarily for quality of food and the lack of service.

The first dinner, we were a party of 6 out to celebrate a birthday. I ordered ostrich with mushroom sauce. Many minutes after inhaling smoke from the puffing fire next to us, our meals arrived. All but one, that is. We repeatedly and politely tried to call attention to a waiter, until I finally had to borderline yell excuse me. The manager came over to our table, looked at her pad and told us matter-of-factly that the meal had been brought out. We looked at her astonished. Unwilling to admit an error had occurred, she rushed away. Five minutes later, it arrived. My ostrich was more sauce than meat, and our veg was served family style... and not a very generous style.

On a second try, we had a pre Easter meal. This time it was warmer, the fire was out and the room less smoky. Thinking a local meat would be a better option, I ordered the nicest cut of West Country mean: an 8 ounce fillet cooked to medium (pink in the middle). I asked if our veg came out in shared dishes and the woman -- the same matter-of-fact manager -- chirped "yes". And then plodded off. Quickly back, she broke the news that two of our meals (fish pie) weren't on for the night. We were then brought an appetizer we'd not ordered, which was sent back. My savoury steak was brought to the table smelling lush. But when I cut into it, I was surprised to find the pink missing. It was well done. Hardly the way to eat the nicest cut of the cow. But I did because it would have meant cooking a new fillet and making five others wait. Waiters never brought us dessert menus and then prompted us to pay at the bar. All too happy to write the Cockhaven off, we left.

Next time, we'll be back at the Elizabethan in nearby Luton for far superior service and a much nicer meal.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Worcester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Have just returned after an enjoyable few days at Cockhaven Manor. This Hotel has a friendly atmosphere and is ideally situated for visiting a variety of different places in Devon.

The food is first class especially the breakfasts and there is a wide choice of evening meals if you require one.

My room was very nice but the housekeeping staff need to pay a bit more attention to detail.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

Spent a weekend here and had a very pleasant weekend. The above review was correct in that the hoteliers are very hands on and can't do enough for you. The staff too are all very pleasant and helpful. The location is great with beautiful countryside and many walks possible straight from the hotel which we undertook and enjoyed with information provided by hotel.

Generally the hotel is busy with weddings on both days of our stay but this didn't prevent us from getting good service and we were not bothered by noise from the celebrations in the evening.

The restaurant too was busy on both evenings. The menu is extensive (not usually a good sign) with peculiarly, a lot of game dishes but there is a specials board with plenty of fish dishes as expected in a coastal village. The mussels in a local beer and leek sauce arrived in a huge terrine and were delicious. My husband however, chose the haddock and chips expecting a fresh piece of fish but was disappointed by a badly cooked piece of frozen breadcrumbed fish - our fault no doubt as we should have checked that it was fresh. Dessert was a bit disappointing too. I was assured that they were all homemade but my tart au citron didn't look or taste it having a far too regular pastry edge and being rather sweet. No doubt a definition of 'homemade' would clear this up. Prices were very reasonable and maybe we expect too much for that price. Desserts all £3.95 and my mussels were under a tenner.

Breakfast was however delicious and if you did not want the full English or anything else on the menu, you only had to say. There was as much tea and toast as you wanted.

There is an excellent range of beers and the local beer brewed in the village is really good.

Our room was clean and a reasonable size but rather dated. However, it was more than adequate apart from the bed which was exceedingly noisy when you sat on it (and that's all it took") and the mattress was thin and we could feel the springs. Having said that when I mentioned this to the proprietor he was very concerned and appreciative of the feedback and said he would look into it straight away (room 2). Said he didn't take it as criticism but feedback which was great as I hate complaining and would generally prefer simply not to return. But information in the hotel encouraged feedback which is something more establishments should do.

For a 2 star hotel I think it is excellent on the whole and would certainly return. They are doing so much right and it wouldn't take a lot to make it excellent - a little redecorating, a less extensive menu concentrating on local home made food and a new bed in room 2.

• Liked — very helpful and friendly staff, great location
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cockhaven Manor Inn? Share your experiences!