“An English nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 22 hotels in Santa Susanna
Hastings Point, Australia
“An English nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

well what can i say to be honest it wasn't a holiday it was a nightmare i couldnt believe how awful the hotel was, My parents paid for me and my sister as adults and paid for themselves hoping we would have a family room but no! it was like living in a rabbit cage for a week there was no room to put anything most of our clothes had to stay in suitcase during our holiday which was horrible, although the maids did do a great job cleaning them everyday. The beds weren't even bed proper bed they was stupid sofa beds!!!! The food was so disgusting it was like eating processed food it left us all with an upset stomach! and we had the same thing over and over again! most staff were okay but some where rude and the manner was awful i was so upset with the whole thing i was so excited for a relaxed holiday but i dont think so, please think about going here.

Room Tip: At the front they look better and cleaner
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Still at this hotel," GUTTED" Staff so rude, only serve spanish. They dont serve the drinks you want, no diet coke, no cheap substitute for tia maria, run out of sauce, not enough food to make snacks, On to the pool sat outside every night and never once saw anyone clean the pool caught ear infection, Food at this hotel again only caters for spanish, had to have toast every morning. And we lived on toesties. Entertainment consisted of 15 old spanish folk dancing with the DJ. NEVER a four star go to the roof and knock at least 2 stars off, and thats being kind. Rooms are poor wardrobe door fell off took 2 days to fix. Get me out of here.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at The Mercury from 10th August till 21st...Really enjoyed our stay...room was lovely with sea and pool view...cleaned every day by polite maids.
Food was spot on as were the bar snacks.....breakfast was continental so we werent too disappointed not to see bacon and eggs (your in Spain not Blackpool).
The entertainment was great for the kids..we had our 10 year old daughter and 5 year old son with us and they really enjoyed the childrens facilities. We spent long lazy days around the pool.
The resort was quiet whuich is exactly what we wanted.
Overall no complaints and we will be returning...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the end of July along with my younger sisters, parents and another family with very young children.
The hotel is excellent and it is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms were basic but lovely, and the very polite maids cleaned once a day.
The hotel was always kept completely clean and the staff there were amazing! There are some bad reviews saying that staff couldn't speak much English, however I never ever had a problem understanding them, and after all, you are going to Spain, so at least bother to learn some Spanish!
The only minor problem was the food, but only because I don't eat meat, however the snacks available at the bar made up for it.
The bar men were all really friendly and polite and I always managed to have a full conversation with them. Their English was excellent, and I believe that if you take the time to actually get to know them, instead of complaining about pointless things, you will have a much more enjoyable holiday.
All facilities at the hotel were excellent, the young children really enjoyed the kids playroom. The childrens entertainers were very hard working and did not stop all day. Also the entertainment was very good, eventhough it was more suited for Spanish people, but we sat outside drinking all night so it didn't matter.
The hotel is situated across the road from the beach, there is a railway track in between but there is a walking path underneath. The night time market is very cute and lovely, and there are also alot of resteraunts near-by.
All in all it was a perfect holiday, and I am going back twice next year, once with friends and again with my family. No faults at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
cwmbran south wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Having just stayed here for a week I can say this has been one of the best holidays I have had. The hotel is very clean, with lovely staff and facilities. The bedrooms are plenty big enough even though the walls are orange!!! (One of the hotels main colours). Only little niggle is that the plug socket was in the bathroom, and there is only 1 of them. The food has been plentyful, varied, hot and tasty, and I am a very fussy eater. The gym is basic but suited myself and my husband to use for our week away. There are toilets everywhere, all kept clean. Internet available, children's playroom, amusements room, tv room, reading/quiet room. Plenty of sunbeds, never went without, pool is clean and big enough even at busy times. Ideally located opposite train station (very quiet, not noticeable) short walk to the heart of all the shops and hustle and bustle. Beach is literally over the road in front of hotel with clear waters, beach huts, water sports. An ideal place for families, couples, old and young. We are coming back next year with the children we have enjoyed it that much.

cwmbran south wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This holiday,that was booked with SIESTA, was meant as a special treat for my wife's 60th birthday. SIESTA were aware of this special birthday, but to date, and true to form have decided to ignore 2 registered letters of complaint, even through I have followed their Grievance Procedure to the letter. So underhand have they been in their dealings,that their site representative in Santa Sussana, at one point told me to just complain when I arrived back in the U.K, even though he knew that SIESTA would not entertain any complaints unless a signed complaint form was signed by the representative and myself. This I had to point out to representative, who immediately produced forms from his bag! The hotel itself is filthy around the pool area, with shattered, dangerous, sun loungers and filthy tables. The area immediately before you enter pool, is shattered shale and potholes (see Photo) a true bacteria feeding ground. The lifeguard was spotted just the once, even then he was sat smoking. The terraced drinking area adjacent to the pool, is unswept, with overflowing ash trays. The tables and chairs are battered and wooden, with the the old varnish peeling off. A lift (see photo) was forever jamming between floors and had obvious signs that a crowbar had been used to prise doors open. In the main reception area there is the one uni-sex toilet, that from the day we arrived, until our departure, the single hand dryer was broken and toilet rolls had been set on top of dryer, resulting in the waste bin over flowing and the floor forever strewn in wet, soggy toilet paper. 4star hotel! I think not. The restaurant (and I use the term restaurant loosely) is no more than a plastic canteen. Once in 17 days we witnessed bacon and eggs for breakfast. Evening meal is fine as long as you enjoy RABBIT, or fish swimming in oil. We don't, which resulted in expensive meals out every night. I invited the representative to dine in hotel on a number of occasions, he simply smiled and declined, although he was forever being spotted dining in his favourite hotel. Entertainment is purely Spanish driven, and when the entertainments manager was asked to play at least SOME English music, the response was the normal, universal shrugging of shoulders. We had to ask to have our room cleaned and it was 12 days before bed linen was changed. No English was spoken, or understood by chamber maids. Although this supposedly 4 star hotel is neither English friendly, nor clean and safe for those with a young family, it is SIESTA I hold responsible for sending holidaymakers there, after all, it was they that advertised it and it was they, that took our money and ruined what should have the happiest of occasions. If SIESTA think that by just ignoring my letters, then I will go away, I am afraid they are badly mistaken, Should I receive any reaction from SIESTA, I will keep you posted. But please, be AWARE, should you be thinking about taking your annual holiday with either company or hotel. Just remember how hard you have worked to deserve at least half decent service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mercury? Share your experiences!