We just returned from one weeks vacation at San Blas. This is an establishment well worth the money they are asking. Make no mistake, this is no super fancy 5-star establishment. It does not fall short on facilities. There is, however, not enough staff and attention to the last detail to give a real "pampered" experience. You have to queue in bars, get your own coffee at breakfast and prepare your own bed in the evening. So, in terms of service level, San Blas earns a 3-star rating. Most of the members of the staff were very friendly and tried their best, it is not the issue here.
We are a family of four and had booked a junior suite. With two separate bedrooms, two balconies and two bathrooms it was just PERFECT for our family. In fact it was the most functional hotel room our family has ever stayed in. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Ours was in the A-row, top floor, looking out to the inner yard and the sea. Just great. Although, as I already complained about the five star rating, the room had an empty minibar, no Kleenexes, not a single extra towel or selection of pillows etc. It was also a bit peculiar that the beds (which some have commented being hard) were totally missing secondary/upper cushions and that's what made them hard. You got used to it after two nights, though.
In late Nov 2012 the hotel was not full. Guests were of many nationalities, UK being best represented. All guests behaved very nicely. Not even our kids never got bad looks from adult travelers. But we did not intrude the "adults only" lunch rooms or pools, either. There was never any lack of sunbeds and the few reservations made were therefore a non-issue at this time. Only two of the many pools were heated and therefore usable in any way. We had a few days of cloudy and windy weather. Sunbeds were empty those days and even the pools were cooling down pretty fast. On the sunny days, it was still HOT. Do take into account that on a cold day there is not that much you can do at this hotel so a car rental is heartily recommended.
What so many others have reported on quality of food, drinks, etc. is very true. The selection of foods at the buffet restaurant (this applies for breakfast, lunch and dinner) is extensive. Some foods are just "OK" and some are true delights. Easily among the best all-inclusive restaurants I've been to. Sorry to say, but the á la carte restaurant was a disappointment. The menu is simple. The quality of food was weaker than in the buffet. Staff were few, they worked hard but obviously lacked experience from working in a "gourmet" restaurant. This is no big issue, but just don't expect too much of the dinner there.
Drink selection was good. It was kind of surprising that all guests seemed to behave themselves so nicely despite the vast selection of alcohols :-) I can especially recommend house wines (buffet had better than á la carte) and two sorts of house cava. Be careful with cocktails as they are (in most bars) pre-mixed. We once got mohitos in plastic cups, together with brownish mint leaves and dead banana flies. This surely was a one-time thing, I am sure. Another annoyance is the fact that it is VERY difficult to smuggle any drinks to your hotel room. I kind of expect being able to enjoy a few glasses of wine in the room's balcony once the kids have gone to sleep. As the minibar is empty and you can not get anything else than a small plastic cup of wine at a time from the bar far, far away, this did not work well at all. It would have been 5-stars to have a bottle or two of wine stocked at the room. Heck, in the hotel where we stayed on our honeymoon in Cuba there was a fully equipped bar in each room. That was a bit too much in my opinion but still...
Way too many drinks were served in plastic cups. This is clearly not because of the risk of "broken glass" but to save on personnel costs. There were two kinds of plastic cups: very shaky and thin 1/2 pint cups which you are supposed to enjoy your beer from (no way to get a larger beer). Then, there were those tall glasses made of very thick plastic. We were first convinced that in this eco-hotel they surely wash and re-use them. No, those were scrapped as mixed waste.
Enough of whining. All in all, this is a perfect hotel for your annual "autumn break with the family". Had this been a honeymoon trip, on search for the ultimate 5-star luxury, I would have given an overall rating of 3 instead.
As has been mentioned, a taxi ride from Tenerife South airport is about 13 euros one way. Skip the bus. But, if you plan to rent a car, it is cheaper to rent it for a whole week straight from the airport and avoid taxis altogether. A full weeks rental is only around 100 euros!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf offers All Inclusive vacations in a beautiful nature reserve setting, next to two golf courses and boasting fantastic ocean views. The property features a total of eight pools, a gym and a spacious terrace with loungers and umbrellas, along with two pool bars. You'll even find heated pools and separate kids pools, in addition to aqua aerobics, a spa tub and a sauna. The hotel's spa( extra charge) offers relaxing massages and treatments, plus a steam room( extra charge). The spacious guestrooms have a bathroom that can be opened to the room with a glass wall, or separated by wood panels for added privacy. The bathrooms come with a hydromassage tub, separate shower, makeup mirror and hairdryer. Every guestroom is soundproof and offers satellite TV, Internet connection, minibar (extra charge), air conditioning, safe and a balcony or terrace, along with a phone and free WiFi. The reception area is open 24 hours a day, where you'll find a safe, currency exchange and an elevator. The resort also features a cafe-bar, a newspaper stand, a few shops, a hair salon, a nightclub, a theater, a TV room, a restaurant, a conference room, free WiFi connection, room service, laundry service (extra charge), a playground and free parking. Separate activity programs are organized for kids and adults alike. You can also enjoy tennis (extra charge), ping pong, beach volleyball, golf (extra charge), biking, mountain biking and aerobics classes. You'll find two golf courses about a mile from the hotel, and you can also work out at the gym or enjoy rowing on the property's charming lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Odigeo, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos San Blas Hotel Reserva Ambiental And Golf
- Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf Tenerife, Spain