“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Servatur Puerto Azul

You added Servatur Puerto Azul to your Saves list
Servatur Puerto Azul
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida La Cornisa 13, 35130 Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria, Spain (Formerly Servatur Aparthotel Puerto Azul)   |
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Puerto Rico
essex
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Took over 4 hours from the airport to arrive at the hotel by transfer - not entirely their fault as a coach had broken down and ours had to take extras but it was awful. So in hotel after midnight, eventually found our room - helped by 2 teenagers and another couple when we were lost "again" - it is a maize of lifts and walkways. Room like an oven just a fan to put on, opened the curtains to be faced with a WALL with lovely pipes down it - NOT the seaview I had requested as this was a birthday holiday for my husband's 70th. Found my way back to reception and asked to be moved, come back at 9am in morning. To be fair they moved us to a seaview - well looking across the hotel to the sea but at least not a wall. Disappointed with the food and though the entertainments was okay it was so "flat" - the audience seemed to just sit there like cardboard cutouts and drink their all inclusive. Also there were people there on self catering who blatantly used the all inclusive services during the day,helping themselves to food and drink - nobody challenged them - so why did I pay the extra ??? One of the pools was shut as all the tiles were falling into the water, very dangerous the way they left it "open" and empty for the week we were there, kids could have fallen in it. Yes I saw cockroaches too but I have seen them in lots of places - it is Spain, they have them. I did not have a complaint with my room, it was clean and big enough. Went to the Barbacoa and that is great, just up the hill or cab for 2.5 Euros, drinks good price and entertainment very good.

Room Tip: To be honest I have not got a clue as it is a maize there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Read the reviews prior to going, but took them with a pinch of salt as everyone has different values. S0 Wrong - Where to start !!!!
Arrived mid afternoon and had to wait an hour as our room wasn't ready (fair enough - went to have a drink after a long flight and long transfer). Had to que to get a drink in a plastic cup - noticed no ashtrays on tables - more plastic cups with ciggie ends floating in them). Dirty dishes and plates lying on dirty tables, floor in bar / food area wet due to people coming out of pool and walking into this area, despit sign being up to ask them to wear footwear and dry off first).
After our 1st hour - we finally got to go to our room --- past the pool, round the side, down one lift, round another walkway, down another lift etc...etc... found the room. Went in ..... We had waited an hour for this to be cleaned .....!!! ok - dishes were cracked and dirty, Worktops smudged in old margarine ? (hard to tell).. Sheets on the bed did not look clean - creased and had hair on them. Furniture cracked and broken - just BAD.
Since we had booked in for 2 weeks A/I, I just gritted my teeth and didn't say anything so not to anger my husband.
Went for dinner on first night to be told we had to select when we were to have dinner - I said I would eat when I was hungry as on holiday and didn't know what we would be doing, so would eat within the resturant times - NOT ACCEPTABLE - You Will eat at 8.30pm .... Yes Mum !!! Food ok - drink awful. And yes - for breakfast you can still have left over vegetables and chips.
Swimming Pool - Broken Tiles statments are an understatement. The pool is a danger zone - children with cut feet / toes - blood on the ground. The water - Layer of scum on surface - water level is low, it was Disgusting.
The jaccuzzis did not work in adult area - basically big buckets of cold water topped with sun oil and lord knows what else - Absolutely Thithly. Cleaned once in the 4 days we were there.
This place should never have a 3 star rating - 1 Star would be very generous.
Got to day 4 - found a plate of left over food from ?? previous occupants in our apartment microwave (as A/I hadn't opened it previously)
This is when my hubby flipped - he'd had enough.
Managment NOT Interested in your comments / complaints - So we left.
Unfortunately we had to pay more to get a better hotel - but it was well worth it to get away from that place.
All in all - If you work hard for a living and want a nice relaxing holiday in the sun - Please don't risk your hard earned money by going to this place.
It's only for a certain type of client group - and I'm afraid I have certain standards I expect when I go on a well earned holiday.

Room Tip: Don't Book This Hotel........
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in the middle of the night to a sweaty unfriendly night manager. Once we had maneuvered 2 lifts to go down loaded 2 floors we found our room (465 I think) it was boiling hot with one fan in the main room. We introduced ourselves to the main other guests in our room, the cockroaches, noticed there was not a double bed settee in the living room (my husband and i had planned to share the double bed settee and give the kids the bedroom) but we had a crappy camp bed instead. I headed back to see 'sweaty unfriendly' who told me he would get another bed organised???? and advised me to discuss all other issues with the day manager as that is all he had.
Do basically yhst was the start to 2 works of a crap room , crap staff and crap service.
Staff on a whole were unfriendly, rude, lied on occasion, unhelpful, and answered all complaints an enquiries with little customer service or when pushed requested money to improve the service- 2nd fan, better room etc.
Rooms were outdated, in need of repair, kitchen was falling apart, fan was average (one per apartment). BALCONY AND VIEW BRILLIANT.
Hotel needs updated, reception smells, no lobby piano bar (that's where they have the laundry)
Lifts are awful, damaged, smelly, often not working.
Pool has so much potential except that all the mosaic tiles are falling off .
The pool security guard is like Mall Cop- complete joke and doesn't work weekends when Spanish people with local apartments use the hotel pool and sun bed for free.
Entertainment was terrible not helped by the fact that the stage faced into the pool restaurant and that most if the tables and seating was covered in sticky beer spills from the all d ay boozers.
This is a hotel for people who drink all day, would sleep in a squat, be entertained by paint drying and are happy to flush hard earned cash foes the toilet. And are happy ti hang out with underage kids being served alcohol all day.
No bar after 11pm!!!!
Only had poor quality alcohol and didnt stock main brands even for paying and guests (nearly everyone all inclusive). Staff looked confused when i asked what Rose wine they had in stock, i am not fussy, just wanted what was available in a normal Spanish bar. "we only for red or white"
On a good note Puerto Rico continues to be a good base for holding in Gran Canaria, Amadores beach continues to be great even with some of the shops and restaurants closed with the recession.
I love this island but this hotel is awful!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just got back from a 2week stay at th Puerto Azul and loved every min of it! After reading all the negative reviews my family and I (husband and 3 young kids) were more than a little nervous about our trip. We had absolutely no reason to be nervous what so ever, in fact I never bother writing a review but I was so infuriated by some of the negative reviews I had red to what we actually experienced I felt it was worth a good old rant! This hotel is a very good 3* and was excellent value for money. The rooms are more than adequate, we knew when we booked there was no air con , which was not a problem, the fans were enough for an evening. There were plenty of sun beds, we usually went to breakfast at around 8.30am and laid our towels down then without any issues. There had been rumours of a pigeon infestation?? Not sure what that was about, we did see a few birds but the hotel is a the very top of the island at one of the highest points with breath taking views so it is to be expected I think! I have no compliants about the food at all, plenty of variation, always found something yummy to eat. Sure there were things out that I would not have eaten, I just chose something else!?bthats the idea of an all inclusive Buffett, it is aimed to catar for all tastes. I would say that If you are wanting a holiday where you are serves buger, chips and chicken nuggets etc then this is probable not the place for you. My children eat what my husband and I eat at home so we had no problems at dinner time, they loved the fresh sea food and all the other delights, oh and I though I better also add that our food was always piping hot. The entertainment was to be expected, with the exception of a few evenings where it was excellent! The Lional Richie Tribute, the Chinese balancing ninja's, Spanish dancers, the mad hatter......to name a few of the ones which we thought were fab! The staff could not have been any more friendly, when it comes to courtesy i am a strong beleiver you get what you receive and from what i whitnessed the staff was not the problem, some of the guest were ignorant and quite rude to the staff, one bloke sat at the front of the stage with his fingers in his ears shouting 'speak English' when the animation team translated in Spanish......... I wonder why people who do not like the Spanish culture, food and hospitality choose to holiday on a Spanish island!? I would suggest Blackpool for this particular individual! Any way rant over! We had a fantastic time and would definitely recommend. However if you are wanting 5* luxury then you will need to pay a lot extra and stay in a 5* resort. For us this 3* all inclusive delivered and some! Happy Holidays, hope you enjoy it as much as we did:-) Jade and Lee ps look out for Alberto the bar tender such a sweetie

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just got back from a week all inclusive at this hotel and really cannot think of any reason why you wouldn't want to stay.

Rooms - this is the worst part of the hotel but only in the terms that they are basic with no air con(a unit can be hired), but they are cleaned 5 out of 7 days to a good standard.

Food - Personally I would say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at for food and I am well travelled. I heard people moaning about lack of full english breakfasts, well there was bacon, egg, sausage, beans etc, just not to the same standard at home, if you really can't got without then get one for €4 on one of the restaurants at the back of the beach. There was always plenty of toast, fresh fruit and cereals so by no means would you starve. Lunch there was a choice of the restaurant or the snacks that are available at the pool bar, always lots of choice in the main restaurant. Evening meal, there was always some variety of fresh meat and fish being cooked every night, along with pre prepared dishes, plenty of salads, chips, pizza and veg.

Drinks - well it's the first inclusive that I have had cava, baileys and Tia Maria included so again, cannot really see any reason for complaint. Never experinced any long queues at the bar due to lager, wine and soft drinks being help yourself (A great idea)

Pools - one pool was shut for repair whilst I was there as someone had cut their foot, surely this isn't a bad sign! The adult area was a great place to chill with great views.

Gerenal - OK so there is over 700 steps to the beach but it is not a hard walk down, we timed ourselves one day and it took us 12 minutes and we werem't exaclty exerting ourselves :-) (€3 for a taxi back up), it probably takes another 25 minutes to walk to the Amadores beach if you want a change of scenery. I would also recommend taking the Ferry for the day to Mogan, a gorgeous little village to rome and around and then chill on the beach.

All in all I don't know what you're waiting for get it booked.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We are a couple in our 50's who are very easy going so a lot of the complaints we read here wouldn't bother us at all. Appartment was good with fully equipped kitchen area. Shower wasn't great but was adequate. We knew about no Air Con and managed fine with the fan provided. Balcony was massive with table and chairs and two sun loungers, washing line and partial sea view. Three days on the trot however, our door key didn't work. It was quite a walk back to reception but they were very apologetic and sent the maintenance man round. He said there was nothing wrong with the lock so I don't know if the next people would have had the same problem. We were in room 2510. My problems with the room is it is hard to find and quite a hike. It was two single beds put together which isn't very comfy. The huge balcony made up for it though. I would certainly ask for a room near to the pool area if I went again.

Dining room really nice. The area further away from the entrance is lovely with all open windows overlooking sea. Food was fine but much better if you gave it a quick blast in the microwave...that really did make such a difference to the taste having it hot. I do not understand however why they put meat in everything. The salads, scrambled eggs, pizza, toasties etc all had meat in them. This caused problems for me as I do not eat meat. I was told to speak to the restaurant manager and he would have sorted something out for me but I chose not to because I didn't want to feel tied. However the veggie food they did do (Breaded Broccoli, Vegetarian Canneloni and Cauliflower Gratin) were all really good after a quick blast in the microwave. Cava, fresh pancakes and smoothies were all at breakfast along with the usual full English. Plenty of choice. They could do with getting a few extra toasters in though.In the pool bar there is a food area also with a selection of hot dogs, burgers, chips, cakes toasties etc. They sometimes put on a bar-b-q also. I think they have tried really hard to provide everything the customer wants. Plenty of food all day if you wanted to eat all day (which some of the guests did which is probably why they sickened themselves!). The staff...restaurant, bar, cleaners, reception, security, entertainment..all fabulous. Fast, hardworking and helpful. Cannot fault any member of staff at all.

Entertainment was fine..some clever acts but nothing I would particularly want to see again..

Pool area was fine too but would have been better if people had been a bit less selfish, batting balls back and forth and using their blow up beds and beach balls in the pools....and why can't children use the childrens pools only? No-one could really get a swim. Also the same old story of people hogging the beach beds with their towels...more selfish behaviour. There was a nice adults area with a lovely English lady providing massage and manicures and pedicures at a good price. She has lived there for over 20 years so is very knowledgeable about the area.

Would we go back? No because we don't like Puerta Rico very much. We don't like the Commercial Centre at all and favoured the Europa Center (we could walk there and back from the hotel easily).The hotel was too high up in the mountain for us with 700 plus steps down to get to the centre. We love walking and excercise but it was always a taxi back...3.5 euros each way though so very cheap. You really must do a trip to the very pretty Mogan ..on the boat (10 euros return). We missed the market there though as this is on a Friday.

We left our rooms at 12 and put our luggage in the unlocked luggage room. We would have liked to see a lock on the door. The courtesy rooms were great with showers and electric socket.

I thing this place has really tried hard to satisfy the customer. We didn't want to come home and I think that anyone who likes Puerta Rico (and is aware of how hilly it is) should be quite happy here. One more thing...beware of the time share touts who will keep approaching you in the town. Please don't be conned by their 'winning' scratch cards and free trips.

Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Had a lovely holiday only one or two quibbles, the bath in my bathroom was badly stained and enamel off in patches, the pools had quite a few tiles missing, not enough table and chairs around pool area for evening entertainment so people were all sitting on walls and sun loungers. No air conditioning, knew this before we went but as they were in a middle of heatwave very uncomfortable, the fans do not do much. Also one very big complaint the luggage room does not have a lock so we came back to our luggage on last day to find flight bags had all been rifled through, someone had a laptop and euros stolen the day before hotel staff did not seem bothered in fact told the person to walk down to the police station to report it and he had a flight to catch!! we did not have anything taken we did not leave anything of value there anyway so just be aware of that fact apart from this we all had a very enjoyable holiday here

Room Tip: ask for room up by pool area as there are loads of steps at this hotel, and 707 steps down to puert...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Servatur Puerto Azul? Share your experiences!