“Premium apartment the way to go at hotel Riosol” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riosol

You added Hotel Riosol to your Saves list
Hotel Riosol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Isla de Lobos 1, 35130 Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria, Spain (Formerly Riosol Aparthotel)   |
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Dublin, Ireland
“Premium apartment the way to go at hotel Riosol”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel Riosol for 10 nights. The location was a bit far away from the main centre because it is on the side of a cliff & walking back up is difficult in the heat. Fine before 8:30 am only. However there is a smaller centre right next to the hotel. A taxi will cost between €4 & €5 to get back up from the beach. The staff were friendly & helpful. Hotel Riosol entertainment was catered mainly for Spanish people I found. There are two pools which meant you could always get a sun lounger at one of them. I did not like the food but in saying that I did not like most of the food in Puerto Rico so that may have no reflection on the hotel. The gym does not have air conditioning which meant it was very difficult to work out. Over all I did enjoy my stay & would return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Antrim, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Puerto Rico staying at this hotel.
When we first entered the Riosol, i was a bit disappointed by the reception area as i thought it looked tired looking. But on closer inspection its not as bad as i thought. I just think the silver chairs with yellow cushions is not the right colour for the area.

We arrived in the evening and were allowed to eat at the buffet as it was still on. Plentiful food wise, but just really depends on what you like personally. Breakfast was always good but the evening buffet was a bit hit and miss. BBQ night was anything but, English night was awful and i ate nothing that night and there were a couple of other nights that weren't great either, but in general i did enjoy a majority of the evening food. The ladies who worked clearing the tables were always very pleasant but the same could not be said for the men. I particulary didn't like the main 2 men who worked in the bar. I don't know if it was because we weren't spainsih or because we were british that they weren't very curtious and I hated going to the bar to ask for anything. For this reason alone, they very rarely got a tip.

Our room was on level 3. Clean and basis. Never had any cockroaches like other people have mentioned. The only thing that passed though was cats. Now i am not a cat lover but to be fair, they never hung about and i ended up quite liking the black one lol.
Our housekeeper was lovely, very pleasant and always tidied our room on the days requested. She was well worth the couple of euro that we tipped her everyday. It was like giving her a bar of gold. The job they do, plus climbing up and down those stairs is not easy, so i would recommend tipping in this case.
Just a couple of things that i really didn't like and they were the lack of air con and charges for the telvision.

In general the Riosol was a comfortable place to stay. The reception staff were always helpful, especially the dark haired lady. We felt safe there and that always makes for a good holiday.
Will definately return to Puerto Rico as we loved it.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks and enjoyed it. The hotel is quite high up so the views are great. This does mean a good trek down to the town, but taxis are fairly cheap.
There was a nice bar area (indoor and outdoors) and they had entertainment most nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Had a basic appartment, surprised that you had to pay extra for tv and air conditioning, problem with cockroaches, although reception very good and came armed with spray, was good basic accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We just returned from a week in the sun in Gran Canaria. We stayed at Hotel Riosol on half board basis. As mentioned in other reviews the hotel is located on a hill with fantastic views of the beach ,our apartment was not bad (very small and cramped bedroom) and the terrace spacious with table and chairs and sun loungers.But when we arrived we were given the room key,only to discover that the room was not ready yet so we had to wait for another hour in the sun,tired and hot ...Then we got in and we realised there were no toiletries in the bathroom,no soap to wash our hands and so on so we had to go to the supermarket to buy all these since we got none for the whole duration. No problem but for a three star hotel is odd not to get any. Then we realised there is a safe in the room,as stated on the site,but in order to use it you had to get a key/card that`d cost 2.3 or 3 euros a day???!!! And to add insult to injury a nasty little management disclaimer that they are not responsible for any loss and/or theft from rooms if one does not rent the El-Safe,errr I think not!!! As long as their paid staff is using key from the management to enter the rooms for service and cleaning,They Are Responsible. Whatever they say !!!( Just a tip, get all your valuable stuff and keep it in one of the suitcases and lock it with the lock.Make your own free safe.) Then the air conditioning and Tv all available for a price 50 a week for the first and 30/week for the Telly. Again for a three star hotel is odd,sounds like a Ryanair on ground charging for all the extras.
We got none of these,the room had a very ineffectual fan so it was very hot in the night time.
We arrived there on Friday and it was full of spanish people,much more so than other tourists which meant there were no sun beds at the pools and the noise and screams were deafening. It was the same all the weekend so we spent the days on the beach for some peace. It wasn`t as easy with regard to dinning, there were some larger groups of locals ,again, that had small children that screeched all morning and evening without any regard for anybody else ,the family eating away like there`s nothing amiss and nobody from the management even attempting to do anything. Having said that,the food was nice if a bit repetitive,and the restaurant staff the best from the whole hotel. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody without kids and for sure I wouldn`t go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AparthotelRiosol, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Riosol, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
First of all I would like to thank all the guests of the Riversun-Touristic Hotels for all the comments posted on Tripadvisor.

In this particular case, we regret the mistake done by handing the keys of an apartment that still was not cleaned and equipped with the toiletries that we offer as an standard in all our Hotels.

In the Riosol Hotel we always give our customers the opportunity to plan their stay according to their needs, without making them pay in advance for services that may not need. The International Satellite TV, safe, WiFi and air conditioning services included in the price of Premium Apartments and Superior, are optional extras in the Standard category.

As in many other touristic companies, the nationalities and ages of our guests varies each week depending on the season and the school calendar of the countries of origin. Obviously we try to give always the same friendly service to our customers regardless of their nationality.
We understand that during school holidays some adults are bothered by the overflowing vitality of our youngest customers.

We welcome the positive comments made of the wonderful views, good food and excellent service provided by all our staff and especially the restaurant team. In my opinion these are a few examples of the many good things that the Riosol Hotel has to offer for the enjoyment of our guests.

Best Regards

Lorenzo Sentis
Customer Service/Riversun Touristic
customerservice@riversun-touristic.com
Reading, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a last minute break to Hotel Rio Sol, Gran Canaria. We had a rough idea of what to expect regarding the size of the hotel and it's distance from the beach etc. We even enjoyed the exercise of the 700 steps down to the beach! The hotel is quite large, the rooms have ample 'living' space and the bedroom size was more than adequate. I am not sure if we had a 'refurbished' room or not - the décor was a little tatty and worn. The bathroom needed either a good clean or a total refurbishment as the bottom of the shower tray was mouldy and blackened.

We found all staff to be helpful and pleasant. On the whole - it was a case of you get what you pay for! Enjoyable holiday - great area to use as a base. We visited Maspalomas, Puerto Mogan, and took a car ride into the mountains (an adventure all on its own!). Good holiday though not somewhere I would return to.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I love holidays like the rest of us, but on this occasion, the cost of the apartment vs what you actually get are 2 different things. If we had paid around 45% less, then my review would be average based on cost vs what you get.

Pro's:
Swimming pools, eco pool heated by solar, its nice with mini Jacuzzi seat...
Main pool = nice and deep and large, defo the main attraction.
Location is good for the Europa centre, only a short walk
Free wifi in RECEPTION area only, this is good as not all provide for free.......

The norm:
Maid 5 days a week (Thurs/Sun off), towels changed every 3 days, bed linen NOT changed at all. Floors not brushed either (although if your a local, you get the full works as we saw!)

CONS:
My photos speak volume. I booked this place as I was looking for a 2bed place (3 adults, 1 child). The websites show all the nice photos of 'premuim' rooms and a balcony with seaview, etc etc, but in reality, the 2bed apartments, more importantly the one we got, was NOT GOOD.

We were at the bottom of a service ramp, so early every morning, we got vans/buggy carts outside trying to turn a corner to the skip/giant bin a few metres from our room, oh the noise was awesome EVERYDAY! Smell was good when the bins go by too (photo)
Then we have the amazing balcony/terrace, as you can see in the photo, amazing for sunbathing and sitting outside in the evening - NOT!

Then the bathrooms, apart from the whole place looking like it came from a 1* property, it was nice of the hotel to provide us with broken taps (see photos).
Cockroaches are a pain, killed a few, but not sure if I can blame the hotel for these bugs ?!
Could'nt keep window or door open at night either, as anyone could just walk in (I mean off the main road which was down a ramp!!), never felt so un-safe EVER in a hotel/apartment!!!

Overall, the accommodation put a downer on things, and from the many holidays we have had, this has got to be the worst place we have ever stayed in. Last year was a 2* place, it did the job, and cost was warrantied for what we got.
The RIOSOL has the pool to draw you in, but the rest, takes me back to early butlins days of super shed rooms!

Oh, just to note, if you look and speak perfect Spanish, then you will get better rooms!
On check-in, we got there early, guy said come back in 90 mins, did so, but waited another 45 mins to get room key. This was on a Friday afternoon, my Spanish isn't too bad, so being told there are no 2bed's avail, only to hear x3 rooms get given to the locals whilst I am sat there waiting, that's a big no no! But I guess, locals first, british 2nd (which is fair enough I guess?!)

That was our 7th time to P Rico, will we go back ? YES
Will we stay at the RIOSOL - No, not unless they charge there worth, ie: €3 per person per night!

Sun loungers were almost gone by 10am, but I think its the Spanish holidays maybe (end august/1st week of Sep), lots of locals & kids!.
€50 per week for 1 aircon unit, €2.10 per day for a safe, you do get a fan, toaster, microwave and kettle though :)
TV was about €30 for a week I think (didn't have the telly)

Hope my review helps in what you might get if you book.... (review is based on the 2bed apartment, cannot speak for the 1beds!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AparthotelRiosol, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Riosol, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We welcome all comments, good and adverse, as we need to know areas where our service fails to meet guest requirements just as much as we appreciate comments on successful delivery of customer expectations. We sincerely apologize that your balcony did not meet your expectations , in case I had known this at the time I would have offered you another accommodation with a bigger balcony.

I am sorry that your perception of the Hotel was so negative but we would like to clarify that our staff offers the same friendly service to all our customers regardless of their nationalities. Most of our clients are international tourists who scored us with a high degree of satisfaction in all surveys.

I have to confes that I am very surprised that none of these problems were recorded in our complaints´ book.
All these situations are not common in our Hotels and are always solved quickly if notified by the guests during their stay.

As a Customer Service Responsible of the Riosol Hotel I invite all our guests to contact me as soon as any inconvenience happens.

Kind Regards

Lorenzo Sentís
Riversun Touristic / Hotel Riosol

Been to Hotel Riosol? Share your experiences!