“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Le Barone

You added Villa Le Barone to your Saves list
Villa Le Barone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Leolino 19, 50020 Panzano in Chianti, Greve in Chianti, Italy   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here at the start of a 9 day trip through Tuscany. After a long flight from the US through Frankfurt and into Florence, this hotel was just what we needed. This is a spectacularly beautiful property overlooking the valleys and hills of the Chianti region. The reception was efficient if not overly warm and we were escorted to our room which was quaint with modern amenities for a property of this history. Next time we stay (yes, there will definitely be a repeat visit), we will request a slightly larger room with a view.

I will echo what was written in some earlier posts, the food was excellent and I, as a cook and food lover, the food was excellent. However, the service in the restaurant is something that needs a bit of attention. On the first night we ate in the dining room, we were asked by the waitress whether we wanted to sit outside, as if that was HER preference, perhaps making it easier to manage her tables. As a waitress in NYC for many years through college when I was younger, I get it. However, when I took the 10 seconds to look inside to see, she seemed annoyed, as if I were taking her away from her tasks (it wasn't that busy). I also tried to speak the little Italian I know to be respectful, as I always do when I visit from the US, but that did nothing to convey warmth. Also, we decided to order the Villa le Barone wine and the waitress, despite having done so for every other table, did not provide the proper red wine glasses. We should have said something, but the waitresses attitude was not so great and we decided it wasn't important enough to say anything. Having lived in NYC for 15, I appreciate good food and service.

I love children. I have two sons, 17 and 13, so I don't want to seem insensitive when I say this: the pool was noisy with young, screaming children. I should have read the reviews more closely as this didn't allow for quiet reading outside by the pool or on the outer grounds. This, to me, does not seem like a property geared towards children (I have stayed in other villas in Tuscany). This is not a criticism as much as just to convey for others planning to come here. If you imagine quiet, serene reading by the outdoor pool, this may not be the case.

Having said all of this. We greatly appreciated the history and beauty of this property. We were amazed by the fruit trees and grapes growing by the pool. We were in awe of the beauty and clearly the property is loved and cared for with tremendous thought and care. Overall, the staff were warm and accommodating and I would highly recommend this hotel.

Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Laurenand,

thank you very much for your candid review and for the high marks you give us in spite of some shortfalls you are pointing out. Let me openly accept the "need for improval" you are mentionning and also answer on what my assessment is:

- Restaurant: in spite of the excellent staff we have, we are missing our maitre d'hotel who has been absent for sickness for more than a month now! The waitresses we have are excellent, but somehow lack the experience of their manager. What you may have felt as "coldness" was probably nothing else but shyness and a bit of reserve. After reading your review I immediately had an explanation session with them and trust this will not happen again. Thank you. As for the wine, you have chosen to have a bottle of Villa le Barone, an excellent Chianti Classico I drink often ... in a glass just as the one you had! Special, larger wine glasses are used for more sophisticated wines, such as Chianti Classico Riserva or I.G.T.'s which is probably what other Guests were having at tables near you. This explains that, but had you asked, we would have been more than happy to have used fot you the special glasses ... which would not have enhanced, though, the aromas of the Chianti Classico you were drinking!

Let me touch on the swimming pool noise you had to suffer: Villa le Barone is open to couples and families with children. We have a special are for children and we have some rooms reserved to parents with young ones in order to avoid some eventual noises interacting with other Guests, but the swimming pool is a common area and it so happens that the days you were here with us there was a large family with the children you are mentionning. At mid-afternoon of the day you write about, hearing some noise, I personnally went to speak to the parents asking them to keep their children a bit quieter ... which they very gracefully did for the rest of that afternoon and for the days after. My candid opinion is that children are -thank God- part of life and that a few joyous laughs and some water splashes, within certain limits, should be allowed to them!

I am sorry we have not met during your stay and thank you for recommending Villa le Barone and saying that you will become a repeat Guests. Please, next time you come, contact me.

All the best,

Corso Aloisi de Larderel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights here on our trip to Italy in celebration of our 20th wedding anniversary. It is definitely one of the nicest hotels in which we have ever stayed. First, the setting- it is located high on a hill, overlooking the other hills and valleys of the Chianti region. The views are spectacular- photos do not do them justice. The grounds are dotted with fruit trees- cherry, pear, apricot, etc laden with fruit. There are olive groves and vineyards and a beautiful garden with vegetables as well as several flower gardens. There is a nice pool which was quiet and relaxing and a fitness course on the grounds as well. If there is a heaven, I would imagine that this would be what it would look like.

We stayed in room 3 in the main building. it was a very large room that was spotlessly clean with a nice bathroom as well. It was a corner room so it had two large windows- one overlooking the chianti countryside, the other overlooking the trees/gardens of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable. The room had air conditioning. The wifi was excellent so we could keep in touch with our children back home. One night we did hear talking from another room in the hotel, otherwise it was very quiet. The soaps/shampoo that the hotel provides are made with olive oil- very nice! There are no televisions in the rooms unless one asks for one- but we did not and we did not miss it at all.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful with many choices- cheeses, yogurt, cereal, fruit, cakes, toast, croissants, soft boiled eggs. If one wanted scrambled eggs it was extra but we did not partake in that. there was juice, coffee, and hot chocolate. Meals were served on a lovely outdoor patio with a gorgeous view. There is a nice indoor room in the restaurant as well which one can sit in if one prefers or if the weather is not as good.

The highlight of our trip was a cooking lesson on our first day at the hotel with chef Fernanda-she was delightful! Though we did not speak much Italian and she did not speak much English, we still were able to understand each other and laugh our way through preparing a very delicious 5 course meal ! It was so much fun! In the process we also met the other chef Ediliana and their assistant Gioere and Gioere's daughter Dafina- all of whom were so warm and welcoming and friendly. We then enjoyed our first course- bruschetta- by the pool with a little bit of wine. Later we had the remainder of the dinner that we made on the outdoor patio. It was a pleasure to see Fernanda and Gioere on our subsequent days at the hotel. My husband always made sure to say hello to Fernanda every evening after that !

The hotel has an honor bar- with soft drinks and alcohol where you can take what you need and then write what you took so it can be added to your bill. it is very convenient. All of the staff are very friendly.

I understand that the concierge has many ideas for places to visit nearby- we did not partake in that as our travel agent had given us suggestions, but I wish we had because they probably would have been very interesting. The hotel is a very short drive to Panzano in Chianti and Greve in Chianti and also not far from Castellini in Chianti and Radda in Chianti. It is about 20- 30 minutes from San Gimignano and 30 minutes from Siena.

The only negative that I can describe is the road to get to the hotel, which is very steep with a hairpin turn - with walls on either side- which was a bit problematic for my husband who was driving a car with a manual transmission for the first time in many years. There is another road one can take which is still a bit curvy but less steep but we did not discover it until later in our stay. Parking, while plentiful, consists of some very narrow covered spaces- a little difficult to get into. There are a few uncovered spaces where parking was easier.

However, that was a minor issue. Overall, this is such a wonderful hotel !! I hope to return to Tuscany one day, but i will be truly disappointed if I do not get to stay at Villa Le Barone again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Proprietario at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Curlytop3,

after a review like yours, we are going to be accused by TripAdvisor of writing oir own reviews!!!
Thank you for being so thorough in describing what Villa le Barone has to offer, you have touched on most of the facets of our hotel giving an excellent description and advice.

If I were to go deeper in details I would add that:

- at Reception you can find itineraries, that my wife and I have made, to better discover hidden places in Chianti (Car, bike and on foot!).
- that our rooms are all different: your room (Number 3) has lots of charm, but there are bigger ones, with bigger bathrooms, terrace, ... cheaper and pricier, but all decorated with love!
- that at breakfast eggs are available free of charge, but only soft or hard boiled and if you want them scrambled or fried there is a small extra charge.
- that the parking lot is one if the problems I have a hard time to solve because cars are getting bigger and bigger:make it larger by taking space from the fruit trees? Make it larger by cutting down the pine trees? ... Aaaarghhhh! Maybe I'll find a better solution. Today there is enough space ... if everyone is disciplined and parks in the appropriate slots ... which happens often but not always!
-I would have loved to meet you and your husband participating and translating what Fernanda was saying during the cooking class, but this time my wife and I were not in Le Barone.

I would advise readers of these reviews to also visit our Intranet site where they can view life at Villa le Barone and to also visit the new virtual Tour on the homepage of our website.

My wife and I will love meeting you during your next stay with us.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 glorious days in this fantastic hotel to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I could easily have spent a week here, relaxing and gazing at the wonderful views.

Our room (#12) was in a perfect location. It, along with #s 14 and 15, have the best location on the property, away from the main house and steps from a private table with umbrella and chairs. The wifi worked great from the table, so when your spouse can't leave work at home, at least you can drink wine and soak in the scenery while he works.

The property is breathtaking, the pictures don't do it justice. As beautiful as every review says it is. Rose gardens, lounge chairs scattered about for relaxing and reading, a wonderful spotless pool (never saw it crowded) with snacks and drinks close by.

We had dinner on the property two evenings. The first evening was a little disappointing, the staff was clearly overwhelmed by the number of tables they had to serve. We sat for 15 minutes without even a nod from one of the two servers that were rushing around. As we had just arrived, it wasn't very welcoming. Had we just been given a glass of wine, we would have been content. Once we were served, the food was amazing. Reserve the meal at the time you book your room so that you get the discounted price. Well worth the reduced price and the convenience of being able to stroll back to the room. There are no restaurants within walking distance so the convenience is worth the price.

We visited the beautiful bar after dinner and had splendid conversations with the owner and other guests. You just write down the drinks you've had and your room number and the cost finds its way onto your hotel bill. You can have the drinks in the bar or bring them back to your room.

Breakfast is buffet style and contains wonderful pastries, meats, cheeses, cereals and fruits. You can order scrambled eggs, but beware that there is a 5 euro charge for the eggs if they scramble them for you. They should definitely do away with that stiff charge, given the cost of the rooms here, it's a bit of the nickel and diming that can leave a bad taste.

The town of Panzano is very small so head north a bit to Greve-in-Chianti and find the piazza with many shops and restaurants. It was a lovely place and perfect for a rainy day (which we had) as the walkways are all covered. The tour of Barone Ricasoli Castle (about a hair-raising 40 minute drive) is also recommended.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for solitude and authentic Tuscan views.

Room Tip: Rooms 12, 14 & 15 are away from the main house and are very private with gorgeous views of the T...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear 20175Kim,

thank you very much for having taken the time to review your stay at Villa le Barone and for being generous with your marks in spite of the fact that you had to wait for the dinner the first night. The reason you had to wait is that that night we had many unplanned Guests that decided at the last minute to dine with us on top of a group of hikers: they are always welcome, but re-adapting service at the last minute is sometimes difficult. Anyway, your advice about giving Guests that have to wait a few minutes a glass of wine is GREAT and well taken! Many thanks!

You are giving good advice to TripAdvisor readers: Room 12, 14 and 15 have lovely views and offer a maximum of quiet and privacy (but there are rooms which are larger, with bigger bathrooms and more luxurious also enjoying a lovely view), taking our half board option gives you a very advantageous and cheaper full dinner at Villa le Barone ... without hving to worry about having to drive back home after an extra glass of Chianti wine ... and with the half board solution we are better able to plan our dinner :=))

I also suggest our readers ro ask Reception for the car itineraries that my wife and I have prepared to visit little known places in Tuscany. They make you discover beautiful landscapes and curiosities on top of the main attractions like Florence, Sienna and San Gimignano.

My wife and I look very much forward to hosting you again at Villa le Barone.

Yours sincerely,

Lake Wylie, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My wife and I reprised a trip to Chianti from 16 years ago, and we returned to Villa Le Barone, just outside of Panzano in Chianti. We requested the same room, and they graciously accommodated us. We were delighted to find “Villa Le Barone”, the beautiful rose gardens, the staff and food as charming as we remembered. One of the great assets of Villa Le Barone is the “half board” plan. After a very full breakfast you can wander the Chianti region by car, knowing that a large Tuscan four-course dinner (appetizer buffet, pasta course, meat/fish course, followed by cheese or dessert) awaits you back ”home” at the Villa. It is the always fresh, locally sourced, and simply but skillfully prepared food for which Tuscany is famous. The olive oil is from the estate, the beef and veal from their own free range farms. The very fairly priced wine list is centered on the local wines for which Tuscany and the Chianti region is famous. It was a pleasure to indulge every evening, knowing you were only a short walk to your room. The Count and Countess, Corso and Jacqueline Aloisi de Larderel are gracious and attentive hosts. In short, we did “go home again”, found it delightful, and hope to return (but this time we hope not to stay away so long).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Navygoat,

coming back after 16 years to Villa le Barone is a WOW, but you don't hold the record, held by a young girl of 5 having come to Villa le Barone 25 years ago and returning as an adult. As you do, she still had some fond memories of her stay with her parents. Jacqueline and I are very glad that you found everything as it was (even though many things have changed- hopefully for the better- under the surface) and had a good time with us. In order for us to see you again, it's better if you don't let another 16 years before coming back =:)

We look very much forward to hosting you again,

Sandefjord, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Was there 3 days and it is a really nice place. And jay manager/owner is so nice and helpfull. And she makes this place even better. Speaks good English. It is a new place so the pictures don't lie. We stayed in the beach front villa.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Heidifrell,

thank you for your kind remarks on Villa le Barone and for the high marks on your stay, but ... I believe you reviewed the wrong hotel! :=) However hard we try to please our Guests, my name is not Jay and the sea has not yet risen to Villa le Barone in order for us to have a beach house!

We hope someday to host you and please you at Villa le Barone in Chianti.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Our friends recommended the Villa Le Barone and we were a little bit skeptical it would live up to their glowing descriptions. We instantly knew we had arrived at a truly unique and special place. The property and its surrounding hills and villages are more beautiful than we had hoped for. We enjoyed the serenade of birds, occasional tolling of a distant church bell and a profusion of lovingly tended gardens. The owners, who view themselves as stewards of this historic property, are welcome, attentive to detail and unobtrusively present. The food offerings are superb and helped me rediscover the possibilities of food. My wife and I enjoyed several of the hikes through the surrounding countryside the owners have walked themselves, ending at several of the many restaurants where items such as fresh truffles, rabbit and pecorino cheese with lavender honey are part of the daily fare. Our room was spacious, tastefully furnished and blissfully quiet - we slept like young children. The five days we spent at Villa Le Barone revived our spirits and left us eager to return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Larry G,

I am always a bit wary when Guests come to Villa le Barone with high, too high, expectations and afraid that they may be disappointed.
Thank you for your excellent review and high marks on us, but let me take this occasion to "cool things down" a bit! Let me describe who are the Guests who like Villa le Barone (not all qualify): those who like a beautiful panorama of rolling hills, ancient villages, olive groves, those who can be moved by a sunset while sipping quietly a glass of local wine, those who like nature and can still be enchanted by seeing a glowing firefly at night (June is the right time for it), a wild boar crossing their path at sunset or just by the toll of the bells of the San Leolino Abbey calling to prayer, those who can appreciate the freshness of products in a rustic Tuscan recipe prepared by our local cooks without wanting to compare it to a meal eaten in a glitzy sophisticated restaurant in Paris, those who come to relax quietly and enjoy a moment of simple happiness with their companion, those who enjoy the quiet elegance of a room or sitting room in an authentic Tuscan Villa rather than expecting a groom at the door repeating endlessly "How are you doing this morning,sir?", those who feel at home and in synch with Villa le Barone as it is (even though we are striving to improve it every year!). Sorry, I got carried away, but my wife and I, hopefully good stewards(!), enjoy it when our Guests are happy and feel so bad when someone comes and doesn't find what she/he is looking for.
Larry, we count the days till we see you again at Villa le Barone and look forward to hosting you many more times as it happens with a large number of our repeat Guests.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

A charming hotel in a rambling ancient villa set in a rose garden surrounded by olive groves and fruit orchards. Wonderful views, wonderful walks, wonderful food, wonderful wine. The door to our room was covered with a curtain of fragrant jasmine vines, and we awoke to the sound of songbirds and the sun shining on the rolling Tuscan hills. A dream!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear Mmedesevigny,

you betrayed yourself! The jasmin in flower on your door makes me say you were in room 15, a simple, but charming room on the ground floor, with a stunning view on roses, olive trees and, a bit farther away, the San Leolino XII th century abbey. By the way, there are more luxurious and bigger rooms than room 15, but I find it myself very charming.
I hope that by "rambling" you mean that the Villa is not a "cube" hotel with standardized identical windows and rooms, but a romantic ancient construction with disheveled vine on its facade. In all cases, I am very happy you had a pleasant stay with us and we hope you shall return soon.

Corso Aloisi de Larderel

Been to Villa Le Barone? Share your experiences!