My husband and I recently spent 3 nights here on our trip to Italy in celebration of our 20th wedding anniversary. It is definitely one of the nicest hotels in which we have ever stayed. First, the setting- it is located high on a hill, overlooking the other hills and valleys of the Chianti region. The views are spectacular- photos do not do them justice. The grounds are dotted with fruit trees- cherry, pear, apricot, etc laden with fruit. There are olive groves and vineyards and a beautiful garden with vegetables as well as several flower gardens. There is a nice pool which was quiet and relaxing and a fitness course on the grounds as well. If there is a heaven, I would imagine that this would be what it would look like.
We stayed in room 3 in the main building. it was a very large room that was spotlessly clean with a nice bathroom as well. It was a corner room so it had two large windows- one overlooking the chianti countryside, the other overlooking the trees/gardens of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable. The room had air conditioning. The wifi was excellent so we could keep in touch with our children back home. One night we did hear talking from another room in the hotel, otherwise it was very quiet. The soaps/shampoo that the hotel provides are made with olive oil- very nice! There are no televisions in the rooms unless one asks for one- but we did not and we did not miss it at all.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful with many choices- cheeses, yogurt, cereal, fruit, cakes, toast, croissants, soft boiled eggs. If one wanted scrambled eggs it was extra but we did not partake in that. there was juice, coffee, and hot chocolate. Meals were served on a lovely outdoor patio with a gorgeous view. There is a nice indoor room in the restaurant as well which one can sit in if one prefers or if the weather is not as good.
The highlight of our trip was a cooking lesson on our first day at the hotel with chef Fernanda-she was delightful! Though we did not speak much Italian and she did not speak much English, we still were able to understand each other and laugh our way through preparing a very delicious 5 course meal ! It was so much fun! In the process we also met the other chef Ediliana and their assistant Gioere and Gioere's daughter Dafina- all of whom were so warm and welcoming and friendly. We then enjoyed our first course- bruschetta- by the pool with a little bit of wine. Later we had the remainder of the dinner that we made on the outdoor patio. It was a pleasure to see Fernanda and Gioere on our subsequent days at the hotel. My husband always made sure to say hello to Fernanda every evening after that !
The hotel has an honor bar- with soft drinks and alcohol where you can take what you need and then write what you took so it can be added to your bill. it is very convenient. All of the staff are very friendly.
I understand that the concierge has many ideas for places to visit nearby- we did not partake in that as our travel agent had given us suggestions, but I wish we had because they probably would have been very interesting. The hotel is a very short drive to Panzano in Chianti and Greve in Chianti and also not far from Castellini in Chianti and Radda in Chianti. It is about 20- 30 minutes from San Gimignano and 30 minutes from Siena.
The only negative that I can describe is the road to get to the hotel, which is very steep with a hairpin turn - with walls on either side- which was a bit problematic for my husband who was driving a car with a manual transmission for the first time in many years. There is another road one can take which is still a bit curvy but less steep but we did not discover it until later in our stay. Parking, while plentiful, consists of some very narrow covered spaces- a little difficult to get into. There are a few uncovered spaces where parking was easier.
However, that was a minor issue. Overall, this is such a wonderful hotel !! I hope to return to Tuscany one day, but i will be truly disappointed if I do not get to stay at Villa Le Barone again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amongst the timeless landscape of Chianti, in a protected environment, Villa Le Barone has been in the famous Della Robbia family since the 16th century. The old manor house has been renovated becoming an inviting and intimate home, maintaining the character of a private house with its cheerful bedrooms and sitting rooms, furniture, paintings, books and romantic objects of the family past. The swimming pool, tennis court, fitness center,fitness trail and terraces are set amongst large rose gardens, with views on the surrounding countryside, olive groves and the vineyards of Chianti Classico. The restaurant serves typical Tuscan food and famous local Chianti wines. Villa Le Barone is ideal for those who love peace and relaxation as well as sight seeing in the Chianti region. Free parking lot, in-room Internet access, Wi-Fi, Fitness Center, Fitness Trail, bicycles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, T4B and Hotels.com so you can book your Villa Le Barone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Le Barone Hotel Panzano
- Hotel Le Barone
- Le Barone Hotel
- Villa Le Barone Panzano In Chianti, Italy - Tuscany