“Solitude” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Le Barone

Save Saved
You added Villa Le Barone to your Saves list
Villa Le Barone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Leolino 19, 50020 Panzano, Greve in Chianti, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Panzano
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Solitude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Idyllic setting in the heart of Tuscany. We stayed as part of Backroads trip and hiked the area with villa barone as wonderful base. 28 rooms, we enjoyed cozy room number one in the main tower. Grounds were perfectly groomed and high quality meals at the restaurant, including wide selection of yummy antipasto. Staff gets high marks for overall experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Jgebkr,

I am very glad you enjoyed Villa le Barone as part of your Tuscan trip with Backroads. I am only a bit sad about the title of your review: Solitude is not a term I would like linked with Villa le Barone; perhaps serenity, calmness, peace, placidity, quietness, quietude, stillness, tranquillity ... hopefully happiness!!!

I look very much forward to hosting you again at Villa le Barone.

Corso Aloisi de Larderel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The location is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful but for me something didn't ring true, It claimed that you should feel a guest in their home but as soon as you walked through the door there were items for sale, the cookery book ,the story of the place , the jam etc. It is obviously on Rick Steves radar as it was full of Americans , fine , but when it is a group of at least thirty next to you in the restaurant no! I am older and therefore don't eat a great deal so found the amount of food overwhelming, I think it is laudable for anyone to want to preserve the wonderful old building and estate but for me it seemed just too obviously a commercial enterprise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear joypam 10 ,

Many thanks for your evaluation and overall high marks. Dear me! ... I’d love it if we were a bit more commercial than we are ... maybe we could make a profit from our operation at Villa le Barone!!! Let me be more precise, on the chest in the entrance of the Villa we have displayed for our Guests information on Chianti comprising the books you mention: “A farm in Chianti”, written in the early 1900’s by my cousin Marchioness Viviani della Robbia, and describing life at Villa le Barone at that time (good reading by the way!), “A Hotel in Chianti”, written to describe with pictures and text how the Villa was turned into a hotel in the 1970’s and a prettily illustrated cookbook with Tuscan typical recipes. Guests borrow the books, go through them , return them ... and eventually buy them. There is no trace of jam as far as I can see straight! (The “For sale” sign is a white cardboard about 2 by 5 inches!!!). The 3 books have had total sales in 2012 for 1.500€ with a margin of approximately 320€ covering the cost of one average Villa le Barone employee for approximately 3 days! Not exactly a great commercial business as I found out making for you these calculations! Let me add that neither my wife nor I are aware of Rick Steves’s activities; I looked him up un the web and thank you for the tip.

On Guest’s nationalities: they vary according to seasons with more British in June-July (many UK citizens at this time in the hotel), more Americans in April and May, French in September, .... Anglo Saxons are overall quite present since they love Tuscany and include a great number of Canadians, Australians, New Zelanders and South Africans. Frankly, the great majority of American Guests are lovely people and my wife and I are proud of hosting them. I am sorry if you have a different view on this. Guests from all nationalities are welcome.

On quantity of food, we ask our cooks to monitor if Guests do not finish their plates and food remnants are returned to the kitchen in order for us to eventually adapt quantity of food served: the report is that that everything is eaten (actually we also propose our Guests an extra helping if they have a big appetite). If your appetite is smaller- like mine- it’s very easy to ask a half portion or to eat just one plate.

I always read carefully what Guests tell us in order to learn and serve them better, but I am not sure what your message is.

I look forward to hopefully see you again in Villa le Barone where you will always be welcome. I will greet you with my usual face and will not wear a Disney Mickey Mouse mask.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We had 3 lovely days at Le Barone at the beginning of May. A wonderful base from which to explore the beautiful Chianti countryside. I would also recommend a day by the pool/enjoying the gardens/going for a short walk locally - the whole place is just so relaxing. Superb food every night would need to be compensated for by more exercise if we were lucky enough to stay longer next time!

Coral and Jacqueline are wonderful hosts-always a word for everyone. We will definitely be back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear SusannaMcG,

Jacqueline and I hope to be lucky enough to host you again soon at Villa le Barone, Plenty of food, at Villa le Barone, but many vegetables and an overall very balanced diet ... but I forget there is a huge variety of very tasty pasta dishes for which the small fitness center and the fitness trail can be of some help!
Hope to see you back soon,

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is our first visit to the Italian countryside and the first stop on our 2 week journey. I cannot think of a better place to begin our vacation. Everything about this place looks like you are walking in a movie set. Everywhere you look you want to take in the scenery. The owners of the property truly are concerned that all is up to your liking. You feel as if you are in someone's home instead of a hotel. Thank you for a wonderful introduction to the Italian countryside and the Italian hospitality. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear NJZimm,

Chianti is a beautiful place in beautiful Tuscany and we are very happy you spent your first holiday days with us.

Thank you for your comments and high marks: you are right, Villa le Barone is not really a hotel, but an ancient and large family home open to friends where Jacqueline and I greet them for a pleasant stay.

Come back soon, because the environment is beautiful year after year and one never gets tired of this movie. If you have any suggestions for "sleep quality" please write me at corsoaloisi@larderel.com although I fear I can't do much about birds singing in the early morning or church bells starting to ring at 7:00.

All the very best,

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was our 4th stay at Villa Barone,nestling over the pretty town of Panzano,and we stayed for 2 weeks.We just love it here,one can relax in the beautiful grounds,enjoy the amazing views from the abundant fragrant rose gardens,or explore the surrounding hilltop villages as well as Florence and Siena which are easily accessible.It is so unique,totally unpretentious,not like a Hotel at all.Charmingly presented and very comfortable.What really makes it special is that the staff are amazing,and one is welcomed back like an old friend.The food is wonderful,from the huge array of freshly made antipasti to the typical Tuscan dishes which give guests a taste of the region.A big thank you to Corso and Jacqueline for making our stay so memorable,we were sad to leave but will certainly be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden room which had its own terrace and car port.It is also near the pool.It has...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Annie294009,

many thanks for your kind feedback and high marks! Villa le Barone really belongs to charming Guests like you who can appreciate the elegance of authentic simplicity and the luxury of quiet beauty. Jacqueline and I are just the lucky keepers of Villa le Barone and of its continuing spirit.

Thank you for the tip on room 15 which has a lovely view on the garden and the Abbey of San Leolino ... yes, the jasmin smells deliciously at this time of the year.

We hope to welcome you at Villa le Barone many more times.

Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our 25th wedding anniversary at the Villa Le Barone in May 2013. Mere words cannot describe the beauty of the surroundings in the middle of Chianti country. The villa is located in the hills of Italy. Awesome views of grape vineyards and olive gardens from every direction, including a view of the nearest small town, Panzano, which is a pleasant 10 minute walk. Don't drive, walk everywhere to really see Italy. The villa itself is a dream. The staff are awesome, friendly, and professional. They take care of you as if you are family. The food in their restaurant is authentic Tuscan food. I never had wild boar gravy over homemade pasta until we arrived here. Outstanding menu and almost too much food.
If you're looking for the vacation of a lifetime, Villa Le Barone is it. We are already making plans to go back in 2014.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JimButtita,

thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay at Villa le Barone. I am very glad it was the right setting for your 25th anniversary ... many more!!!

I am afraid the May weather (this year) was not very good: normally May is warm with beautiful sunny days in a row, but there is not much we ca do about that. The wild boar sauce you ate comes from the farm in Maremma where wild boars (there are a bit too many of them) are hunted every year and the fresh pasta from the hands of our local Tuscan cooks Fernanda and Ediliana who are going to be happy when I will tell them about your kind comments.

We look forward to seeing you again in 2014 and do reserve in time to choose the room you like,

Boise, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Villa Le Barone for 3 nights at the end of April. We had been in Milan and Venice and arrived on a Saturday afternoon. Corso greeted us - the staff welcomed us and it felt like home away from home, a quiet place after the cities. The rooms are roomy and beautiful with so much care and attention to detail. The food is wonderful - the antipasti table at dinner is bountiful and a meal in itself. The dinners are divine...great choices, great flavors, and extraordinary service. Love the cappuccinos in the morning and a chance to chat with other guests and practice Italian with the staff. We loved walking the grounds, drinking in the views, and strolling to town. Panzano is a delightful town with a market and shops. We also enjoyed walking up to San Leolino, the church at the end of the road. This is a one of a kind, a magnificent place to stay in Italy, and will surely be the destination of my next trip. Thank you Jacqueline and Corso for your kind hospitality - your place was the highlight of our 3 weeks. Mille Grazie.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CAloisideLarderel, Owner at Villa Le Barone, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Julie Q,

this is when we feel happy and (we shouldn't perhaps!) content that he have done the job! Not so much for the kind words or the high marks, but because you have picked the essence of what one gets at Villa le Barone: peace, welcome, care, beauty, good healthy food ... and a good "cappuccino" in the morning (for new Guests, please don't ask the maid just for coffee, but for espresso, ristretto, lungo, macchiato, ... and the many more kinds we can offer in Italy!).

Julie Q., come back to your home in Chianti whenever you want ... we are going to try and keep Villa le Barone the way you like.

Corso and Jacqueline Aloisi de LAarderel

Been to Villa Le Barone? Share your experiences!