“Perfect place in the heart of Chianti” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.)

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panzano in Chianti
Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.)
You added Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.) to your Saves list
Di Pescille 110 | Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S., 50022 Panzano in Chianti, Greve in Chianti, Italy   |
Halifax, Canada
“Perfect place in the heart of Chianti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was the second time we stayed at Villa Pecille and we will returned. It’s located in the center of Fontodi’s grape vines and olive trees. We stayed in the one bedroom apartment, La Limonaia. As others have already described, it has a large bedroom with air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen (stove, fridge and dishwasher) and sitting area. The apartment has most of the utensils that you require for cooking, a coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, a safe and wi-fi (not just a hot-spot, actual working wi-fi!).

Although staff are not on site 24 hours a day, Gabriele gave us his cell number to contact him in case we had any questions or needed assistance. Gabriele was also a great help to us leading up to our trip answering questions, making restaurant reservations, booking winery tours and booking cooking lessons for us. Maid service is only once a week, but if requested they will provide additional services. They have a large pool that you will share with guests who might be staying at the other 4 apartments in the villa. A self serve laundry facility is available at no extra charge.

Villa Pecille is only a 5 minute walk from the town’s restaurants, shops, wine stores and markets. For restaurants make sure you visit one (or all) of Dario Cecchino’s 3 locations, also Il Vescovino and Enoteca Baldi are excellent choices. Trip Advisor has Enoteca Baldi listed as being in Sienna, instead of Panzano. For wine shops a visit to Accademia del Buon Gusto is a must. The owner Stefano has a great selection of local wines that are produced in small quantities. He has many of them available for sampling before you buy them, along with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The town is also a great central location for day trips to the surrounding area. During our stay we were lucky to arrive at the end of Panzano’s wine festival Vino al Vino where we were able to sample wines from the area.

Villa Pecille and Panzano are truly highlights of our tour throughout Italy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We just returned from a two and a half week trip to Italy and our three day stay at Villa Pecille was our favorite of the six different places we stayed in. The villa is handsomely set between the town of Panzano and the olive orchards and vineyards that surround the town. We stayed in La Limonaia apartment which is one of five apartments at the villa. La Limonaia is set up for two and had a very large bedroom and a large sitting, dining, kitchen area with fireplace. We had a bathroom with a tub/shower combination and our own private patio area with plantings to separate us from the adjacent apartment. The furnishings and decor of our apartment were very tasteful with lots of wood and windows. The apartment was outfitted with everything we could ask for - wi-fi, hair dryer, iron, Italian and American coffee pot and all kinds of cooking utensils. There was even a flashlight if we needed for walks at night.

We were very appreciative of the staff at Villa Pecille, both Gabriele the receptionist and Anila, the housekeeper. They were both very professional and friendly, ready to assist when needed but never intrusive. Thanks to both of them for making our stay comfortable and providing tips on where to go and how to operate things at the villa.

The villa is ideally situated within walking distance from town. This includes the old hill town, the mid-town with it's square and shops, and the newer part of town where we went to the COOP to buy groceries. All very convenient and picturesque. We enjoyed dinner at il Vescovino in the old town which had fantastic views of the countryside. Also, had a fun lunch at Mac Dario's, a restaurant run by the famous butcher of Panzano, Dario Cecchino. The town of Panzano is centrally located in Chianti and we visited Greve, Castellina, and Radda during our stay. We happened to be in Panzano for the beginning of the Vino al Vino festival. We got to sample chianti's and other wines from the local vintners. What a treat! We also toured the Fontodi winery owned by the same family that owns Villa Pecille. We were impressed by their operation, enjoyed the tour given by Marina, our tour guide, and loved the Fontodi chianti. It was a great treat to receive a both a bottle of Fontodi chianti and olive oil when we checked into Villa Pecille. What a nice touch!

We loved our stay at Villa Pecille, highly recommend to others, and hope we can return someday!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

This is a real quality place. Rooms, fittings and service superb. Nicely situated. You have great view over the vineyards as it is at the bottom of town, but you are only 500m out of a beautiful town. It is self service in all respects with a laundromat, but manager and housekeeper very friendly. I will be back.

• Stayed August 2011
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had a group of 4 moms and 4 daughters and stayed in the La Loggia with 4 bedrooms and 4 baths. The accommodations were perfect with incredible views from every window. We most loved the easy walk to the town of Panzano with restaurants, wine bars, grocery store, shops, etc. It is a self serve apartment so there is not daily maid service. The housekeeper is around if you do need anything. The rooms were large and clean and we loved having a loggia and a back yard dining area where we ate 2 dinners we prepared at the villa after going to local markets. The pool area was gorgeous and the tour of the winery was great. We loved their wines! We would definitely stay here again. The location was perfect for day trips to Sienna, Volterra, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Villa Pecille has five units of different sizes. We spent a week in La Vigna, a two bedroom unit, earlier this month. This was the fourth time we have rented a villa in Italy with varying results. Our experience at Villa Peclle was easily our best of the four. La Vigna was perfect for us travelling with our granddaughter. The unit had two large bedrooms with comfortable beds and pillows. There was a cozy living area with a fireplace and well equipted kitchen including a dishwasher(seldom seen in rentals). There was even another room, used as a sitting room with a full third bath with a pull out couch. The A/C was far better than any we have experienced in villas or inns and the promised wi-fi worked as advertised. If you are a frequent traveller to Italy you know that isn't always the case. The unit even had instant hot water and plenty of it. When we moved into our unit, it was spotlessly clean.

We really appreciated that the owners price the units in dollars instead of euros. It takes the variable out of your cost. They even took checks for the deposit and final payment, therefore bypassing that dreaded foriegn exchange fee.

The property itself has expansive views over vineyards with Tuscan hills as a backdrop. A beatutiful pool ideally took advantage of the classic views from the grounds of the villa. Located in Panzano near Hwy. 222, Villa Pecille is ideally located for exploring the wine estates and hill towns of Chianti as well as a central point for excursions further afield. We ventured out to Volterra, San Gimignano, Lucca and the Florence-American Cemetery easily.

We found the staff to be readily available and helpful. Just using the washing machines and dryers and figuring out how to start the dishwasher could be a chore without the help of the villa's staff, primarily Anna. Gabriele was readily available to give directions, make reservations, mark up maps and offer helpful suggestions. In short, we thought the staff bent over backwards to enhance our stay.

We could not be happier with our experience at Villa Pecille. We look forward to returning to Chianti with friends and sharing this special place with them. If you are thinking about renting a villa in Chianti, don't hesitate to check out this winner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Villa Pecille is one of three properties (collectively known as Tenute di Pecille) owned and managed by Azienda Agricola Fontodi in the Panzano vicinity. Villa Pecille on the edge of town, set among vineyards and olive groves, just a 5 minute walk to Panzano's central plaza. Villa Pecille has 5 apartments. We stayed in La Limonaia, a one bedroom, one bath apartment, with a large open kitchen, dining, and living room area. The apartment was spacious, nicely decorated, comfortable, and clean. There is a nice pool, although we were there a few weeks too early for sun and swim season. Panzano is a perfect location for meandering small Chianti hill towns ranging from Greve to Rada and Castellina. So far, so good. However, no synergy here – the total is LESS than the sum of the parts!

Everything that went wrong in two weeks of travel, went wrong in the three days we stayed at Villa Pecille. In fairness, some had nothing to do with the property or its management, such as my wife getting a two day stomach illness. But, other problems were their responsibility. On reflection, part of the issue is that Villa Pecille is truly independent travel. It is not a hotel or a B&B. it is an apartment with a part-time day manager and an on-call housekeeper. Both were nice, but rarely seen and not personally invested in either Villa Pecille or our happiness. Upon our return home, I was greeted with an email from the owner apologizing for the two issues discussed below, but also telling me that I was wrong on all accounts, and Villa Pecille has no responsibility for any of my concerns.

Villa Pecille has a free laundry room for guests. Knowing that we would be able to wash all of our clothes mid-way through our two week trip had some impact on the clothing we packed and our behavior/clothing usage during the first week of our trip. Well, the last night of our stay at Villa Pecille, we put all of our clothes into the two washing machines, only to learn an hour later that both dryers were broken. The next day, we learned from the housekeeper that one of the two dryers had been broken for some time. The manager made a sincere apology, but provided no assistance. I found a laundrymat in town where I dried our clothes. Our morning departure for Montepulciano was delayed until about 13:00.

Unlike all of our other accommodations, Tenute di Pecille quotes its prices to US travelers in US dollars. When initially corresponding with Tenute di Pecille, I requested that they give me a rate in euros, but they refused to do so, insisting that it works better for US travelers to have a price in US dollars. At the time of booking, Tenute di Pecille charged a 40% deposit to my credit card, which required that they convert their dollar quote to euros. Then, my credit card company converted their euro charge back into dollars. Of course, if the two exchange rate are not identical, there will be a variance. It could be in their favor or it could be in my favor, but unless the two exchange rates are identical, the dollar charge to my credit card will not be the price quoted to me in dollars. So, when checking out at the end of our stay, I explained to the Villa Pecille manager that our deposit was overcharged about 7 dollars. He was happy to make a small adjustment to our final bill. Of course, the charge for the balance had the same dollar to euro to dollar conversion issue and the total of both charges was still a few dollars more than the agreed total price. But, the real irritation, was the owner's email insisting that I was wrong, that I did not understand, that I was looking at my credit card company's international transaction fee, and I was not over charged. I wrote back with a polite, but detailed explanation, even including a pdf of the credit card bill, but four weeks later have received no reply.

Perhaps Villa Pecille was just not the right place for us. We loved the warm, gracious hospitality of the owner-operators of our other accommodations, all small inns and B&Bs. Perhaps it is unfair to compare Villa Pecille to them. If you are looking for a nice apartment, in a lovely and convenient location, with NO guest services, you might find Villa Pecille to be right for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
GManetti, Proprietario at Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.), responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear Mr. bgmanne,

I decided to reply to you here because you wrote that you did not receive any answer from me. Probably my e-mails of May the 16th and June the 12th 2011 did not reach you.

Thank you very much for your nice words regarding "La Limonaia" apartment and our location in Panzano in Chianti.

I regret so much that your wife had a two days stomach illness during your stay here, even if it was not our responsibility because there is not a restaurant at "Villa Pecille".

You are completely right telling that "Villa Pecille" is not a hotel or a B&B; in fact it is composed of self catered apartments with the assistance of our part time receptionist who is reacheable at his mobile phone, when he is not present, and that is available for our guests different requests and to provide them suggestions, when needed and of our housekeeper who is in care of mid-week/ end of week cleanings. Your stay at "Villa Pecille" corresponded to three nights. Extra cleaning hours are available upon request. Our housekeeper is present at "Villa Pecille" every working day and available to solve practical problems.

Regarding the dryers issue our housekeeper realized before the week-end that one of them was broken. Unfortunately the technician from Florence is not working during week-ends. On that Saturday also the second one broke and this coincidence was definitively unfortunate. I am very sorry for the inconvenience that you were delayed in your departure by a few hours because your clothing was wet and that you also incurred a charge to dry your clothing at the nearby laundromat. For these reasons I confirm my intention to reimburse you the amount that you needed to pay at the laundromat. Please let me know the way in which I could do it.

With reference to our prices in USD, we convert them in this currency for our US clients because most of them prefer to pay their rental with US checks. Of course I am not earning anything more with this payment method. Regarding the little difference that you were denouncing, I was honestly thinking that corresponded to the bank fees, not to the automatic change between the two currencies during the credit card payment process. I regret that you were irritated about it, but I need to clarify that I never told you that you were wrong and that you did not understand. This doesn't correspond to my professional and personal way to behave.

I agree with you when you tell that it is unfair to compare "Villa Pecille" to a B&B or to a inn because it is not part of one of these two categories; infact it is an Agriturismo. In our particular case it corresponds to a brand new Villa, originally from the 18th Century, divided into five spacious and confortable apartments. The mission of my staff and I is the personal attention to the needs and the kind requests of each one of our guests since the beginning of our activity in 2001.

I really hope that you and your wife could come back at "Villa Pecille" in the future and that we could talk again about it in front of a nice botlle of wine. In the meantime I remain, as always, at your disposal.

Best regards from Panzano in Chianti

Been to Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.)? Share your experiences!