“Loved Villa Armena” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Buonconvento
new york
“Loved Villa Armena”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just returned from three weeks in Italy, and would have to rank our stay at Villa Armena as one of the highlights. The property is gorgeous inside and out, striking just the right balance between luxury and authenticity. The owners, Elena and Eduardo, as well as the rest of the staff, all made us feel like we were friends visiting their beautiful tuscan villa rather than guests in a hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
edo7819, Proprietario at Villa Armena Relais, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hello dear hollygewandter!
Thank you so much for your kind review.
It's been a pleasure welcoming you to Villa Armena.
We are extremely proud of the fact that you consider our hotel as one of the highlights of your holiday.
A big thank you from the entire crew here, we hope to see you again very soon.

Ciao!

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Having followed Eduardo's ambitious project from the start, I was very much looking forward to visiting the villa over Easter. What I found was a beautifully rebuilt property with lots of character surrounded by great views over the Tuscan hills. Eduardo, Elena and Laura were super friendly and made me feel at home. I enjoyed chatting with them about their experience of creating this amazing project over some excellent Brunello wine! The setting is rural which lends itself to enjoying the outdoors around the villa including some nice running tracks up and down the hills to create some room for the fantastic food by a creative and enthusiastic chef Eduardo recruited recently. I'm look forward to coming back in the summer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
edo7819, Proprietario at Villa Armena Relais, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Steven,

thank you very much for your kind review. We have all enjoyed your company during your stay and we are all extremely happy that you enjoyed your experience at Villa Armena. We are really looking forward to welcoming you back this summer.

Ciao

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at the villa back in October 2012. The farmhouse has been beautifully renovated. Our room was very pleasant with a modern bathroom. We used the common area just outside our room and felt like we were staying at a friend's place rather than a hotel. The restaurant offered a very nice menu too with great service from the owner's Mum.
The only problem we encountered was the unsealed road to get to the villa which was quite difficult to navigate after the rain.

Would definitely recommend the hotel for a romantic getaway nonetheless.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
edo7819, Proprietario at Villa Armena Relais, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello dear Margouille!
Thank you so much for your kind review and for your kind words. We're truly delighted you have good memories of our property and of our family and indeed we are extremely proud you travelled all the way from Australia to come and visit us.
We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you again soon.
Ciao!

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I booked this hotel as a special treat for my husband, having read wonderful reviews on trip adviser. To say that we were both extremely disappointed is an understatement ! The stunning views consisted of the view of the next door neighbours garden & clothes line. The Villa was very cold , devoid of atmosphere and not particularly friendly . Unlike other guests who have written reviews, we were not made to feel particularly welcome . The worst part of the experience was the truly awful meal we had in the highly commended restaurant . Not only was it the worst , & most over priced meal, we encountered on our 10 days in Italy , it was one of the worst meals I have ever been served anywhere . The main corse , described as as slow roasted pork with honey, was a greasy mess , very little pork ,with 3/4 of the meat consisting of revolting fat . This was accompanied by 3 small scoops of cold ( straight out of the fridge ) mash potato . We did try to voice our concerns to the waitress who simply dismissed our comments on the basis we must have been too full. Given that I had a small & tasteless starter & my husband a small but edible pasta (at 22 euros !) this was clearly unlikely . When leaving I again voiced my dissatisfaction only to be given that old "we are trying a new chef " excuse , without apology . While the rooms were tastefully furnished , at the cost of a nights stay I do not think it was acceptable to have one partially / 3/4 used shower gel in the bathroom .There was nothing I would recommend about this hotel and was left wondering what audience they where appealing too . Unlike the advertised facilities the was no spa .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
edo7819, Proprietario at Villa Armena Relais, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Brigid A,

thank you for your review and for your visit. We did enjoy your company - even though it was only for one night - and indeed we are very sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Villa Armena. What I can tell you is that we have greeted you and welcomed you exactly in the same way we do with all our Guests, I guess this was not enough for you and we'd have appreciated perhaps some feedback from you when you left and when I personally asked you if everything went fine with your 1 night stay at the Villa. Instead, if you remember, the only thing you commented on was the pork you had for dinner which you defined as "greasy". Just for you to know that's been the best selling dish this winter and what you define as "revolting fat" was the actual skin of the pork in which the pig is cooked in the oven to give a special flavour to the meat. Never mind, I guess we all have different tastes :-). The waitress you refer to his our sommelier, and also my mother - Laura, and I'm afraid I struggle to believe she told you that "you were just to full" as she always describes the dish to the guests first and then ask for some feedback when she comes back to take the dish away from the table. Also as far as the shower gel is concerned the one you had was brand new not already used.....we change them every time.....Last but not least if you check our website there is no mention of a spa as this has not been completed yet.
All in all: we are extremely sorry that in just one night we managed to disappoint you so much, we do hope to be able to welcome you again in the future to have the chance to make you change your mind.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Italy (late February 2013) and I had to immediately write this review of Villa Armena.

We cannot say enough good things about the beautiful property and our course Elena, Laura and Eduardo. They made us feel like we were part of the family. All the rooms are gourgeous and luxurious. Their attention to detail is fantastic. Check out Laura's wine cellar, what a collection! The whole place is quality and first rate, you will not be disappointed.

The location is superb, not far from Siena, Montalcino, Pienza, or Montepulciano. Great home base to enjoy Tuscany. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were there to celebrate my father's 70 birthday. Wonderfull place, wonderfull food. Althought the Villa is centurys old, the interior is very new. Rooms were very confortable and the bathroons very moderm and beautiful.
The property is runned by the owner, his wife and his mother, with makes the experience very much personal and you feel like home.
Location too, is very good, close to Montalcino and other turistic sites.
I very much recommend it, for couples, families or group of friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spend three nights in Villa Armena and they were wonderful. We received a warm family welcome with our bags and car sorted out like a five star hotel. We were escorted to our junior suite (Orlando di Donusdeo) which was one of the best rooms I have stayed in my life. It was a few Euros more than the standard room but it was worth every cent. Complementary drinks followed with Sommelier Laura who took the time to show me around their wine cellar the next day and showed me her own private collection of Barolo.
They have found the perfect balance in Villa Armena; Eduardo, Elena, and Laura are always on hand to help in any way they can but not in your face. Housekeeping is done quietly and perfectly without getting in your way. The food is fresh and excellent from breakfast to dinner all homemade or locally sourced products. The wines are Italian that suit all pockets that has been tasted and approved by Laura. The rooms are quite where you can really sleep but at the same time have all the comforts of a five star hotel. The surroundings are the relaxing and peaceful Tuscan Hills with Siena 20 minutes away. What more can I say?
Will I go back? I haven’t finished discovering Tuscany.........this is my home there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Armena Relais? Share your experiences!