This hotel was really a stroke of luck, having no idea about Santorini and not knowing many people who had visited in recent years, we took pot luck and opted for Hotel Kallisto. It was from start to finish a near perfect stay. We arrived late on the first evening and found a most helpful man in the poolside bar that instantly prepared us a fresh and delicious Greek salad washed down with a very nice cold bottle of Greek white wine. This wonderful man has been at Kallisto for twenty years and was there day and night, always on hand - I called him the Night Owl! (Be warned the local wine is good but white is generally better as the conditions in Santorini are better suited to that of white wine.)
The hotel is set high up on the Island, above Fira in Imerovigli. Apparently two words (Imero is day and Vigli means to watch), harking back to its Pirates origins, when they used to watch out for pirates. This Island does have a great history dating back 3,600 years!
Although Kallisto does not have its own restaurant, it is close to many excellent restaurants (the two to recommend our La Maison and Mezzo both five mins walk away). Kallisto offers a very good pool side menu which they serve throughout the day and night for nights you feel like just staying in!
Our room was huge, I think we may have had the largest apartment, with a sitting room filled with fascinating furniture including an old fashioned gramophone. We had a cool and large bedroom and a shower with a bath. The only downsides were the mattress was rock solid - maybe the hotel should invest in mattress toppers! and the bathroom, meant to be a wet room, was almost permanently wet! I think Kallisto would do well to sort out the plumbing and make sure the bathrooms dry faster as I nearly fell over a number of times in the bathroom in my fiip flops on the still wet floor. These are small points however, in every other way this hotel was quite simply wonderful. The most kind and helpful staff ever, always at hand and smiling and helpful. Occasionally they didn't understand my garbled English! The breakfast was served each morning on the terrace outside our bedroom with glorious views of the Caldera. There was a wonderful relaxed atmosphere and plenty of space to set up for the afternoon, either beside the pool where there was always a towel on hand. Or further down a few steps where you could literally spend the whole day, undisturbed reading a book, with the glorious views right there in front of you and a cold frappe at hand or anything you want, always available.
Fira is only a short walk away (about twenty minutes walking slowly) on the most delightful path that is unencumbered by traffic and just full of people stopping to admire the incredible views. This hotel is so well positioned, you feel at once part of the spirit of Santorini without being disturbed by the more busy aspects of tourist life in Fira.
I recommend a visit here wholeheartedly. Good tips in general are : hire a quad bike and zoom your way around the Island, or a car, if you prefer the more gentle approach. Visit the wine regions - we discovered a series of vineyards that did excellent wine tasting, and complimentary food to the wine - plus outstanding views - there is almost no where on this island when you don't get an extraordinary sunset - from different aspects. The local restaurants are very close and of a very high standard so don't be put off by Kallisto not having its own restaurant. And if you go on a cruise I would recommend the more private cruises (ie the Catamaran ) as we went on a public one which was much cheaper but involved lots of queues and waiting around in the heat.
Thank you Hotel Kallisto for a very special visit - we could not have been happier staying in your wonderful hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kallisto Imerovigli Santorini HotelSantorini, the most beautiful Cycladic island, an island that emerged from the embrace of mother earth, an island that will spell every visitor with its unique beauty and character.Kallisto a 200 years old mansion, fully renovated in the year 2000 to be a luxury hotel. Keeping in mind the architectural tradition of Santorini, we have created a unique, luxury hotel that offers all the modern amenities. The excellent service, our fully-trained staff and the friendly atmosphere, combined with personal care and hospitality, welcomes you and invites you to discover the incomparable beauty of Santorini. Built in the highest point of Imerovigli village, Kallisto hotel offers to the guests incredible views of the Caldera and the endless blue of the Aegean sea. Focal point for daily escapes, since it's geographical position is just a few minutes away from the main places of interest of the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Kallisto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kallisto Hotel Imerovigli
- Hotel Kallisto Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece