“Honeymoon disaster!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Imerovigli
Hassocks, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon disaster!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Having booked directly with the hotel, we thought nothing could go wrong. How wrong were we. They attempted to arrange a taxi from airport to the hotel but he was a no show, not surprising as we did not receive a confirmation email from the reception after informing them of our arrival details. Wonderful welcome in beautiful reception area, then the so called manager informed us the honeymoon suite we had paid for was not available but another room was. This however had no view to the caldera. It was a box, with a minute shared pool, right next to the main entrance where everyone smoked. They attempted to fob us off with other hotels of a much lesser room rate but non were available for a 3 night stay. Our own trip advisor research found plenty of hotels available! We stayed for the first night as tired and emotional and thought we would sort out in the morning. The manager did not even acknowledge us in the morning. It was not until my wife, after sitting at the breakfast table for 15 mins called her over to ask what hotels she had arranged for us to see that she actually spoke to us. We just wanted out of here! More fobbing off, saying we did not respond to whether we wanted one of the alternative hotels shown the evening before, when we were actually waiting for her to phone us, unbelievable really. Eventually shown a room at the iconic, which is amazing. We are still negotiating a full refund from the Maltese for their total negligence in over booking. There are only 9 rooms! Whilst there we over heard another couple in exactly the same position. I really wish we had taken notice of the other reviews on trip advisor but thought if they over booked once they would sort their systems out but apparently not! The Maltese loss was the Iconics gain, they were truly amazing and the view, which is why everyone comes to Santorini, was the most impressive we have ever seen. Please think carefully if booking the Maltese

Room Tip: Phone and confirm with them directly that you have the room you paid for
Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Stratford upon Avon UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We flew out to Santorini on May 27th 2014, I had very high expectations even tho I had read mixed reviews on this hotel... in hindsight, I would probably agree with both good and bad but I would not book to stay in this hotel again.
As everyone says the staff are great and a credit to the hotel and the views and sunsets are spectacular!
On our arrival I was a bit shocked at the rough grounds and derelict gardens around the outside of the hotel, but upon entering La Maltese all seems very beautiful. Reception is like a posh Laura Ashley room with floral sofas a piano and stripey mint green drapes, ornate mirrors and lamps.... very nice.... it leads out on to a tranquil terrace over looking the Caldera.
There was a wedding going on when we arrived so we did feel a little bit like we couldn't have a drink at the bar of look around properly, as it would be intruding on someone's special day... the wedding party however were great and made us feel more than welcome to have a drink with them... so all was well. I can imagine it being really annoying as a paying guest if you could not use the sun terrace pool, bar or restaurant comfortably, just because a wedding was on that day! it would seem unfair on both sides.

We were eventually taken to our room, and I almost fell on the rough cobbles round the outside of the hotel to get to our room to our room.... I was wearing a low heel admittedly but flip flops or trainers are the only suitable shoes to walk around in outside the hotel.
We don't spend a lot of time in our room, but when you are paying £2200 for one week bed and breakfast in May, I do expect a bit of luxury or niceness...... It didn't happen... my heart sank as I saw the small cramped strange little room... with the only outside space being a small patio area with two small metal chair sand round table.......overlooking the derelict overgrown graffiti, garden. The 'wardrobe' was a rail with a curtain that bent severely in the middle which also hid the over frozen fridge. There was one set of drawers which you literally had to shake hard to open a drawer and 9 times out of 10 the whole chest of drawers would travel across the room with you.... Not good!!!!
The daily tanker lorries and their fumes, and crowds of other holiday makers that hang around outside your room each morning just make a very unrelaxing, horrible outside space. Theres no chance of leaving a single thing outside your room as other people from the surrounding hotels are constantly stumbling past.
We spoke to one couple from a nearby hotel that had an identical style room to us but had paid £700 less!!!! I could go on and on about annoying niggles about this room but to cut a long story short, and after trying to make the best of it, the following day my husband eventually complained to reception and said we just were not happy to be given what seemed the worst room in the whole hotel.
I must now give credit to Adelina who arranged without hesitation for us to be upgraded for three nights in their sister hotel Agali Houses in nearby Firostefani. We were given a suite with a view of the volcano, with private balcony and sun loungers....On our arrival we just felt over the moon at the change. It completely turned our holiday around. We were told that we would also be upgraded back at La Maltese for the last two nights of our stay to a superior double room with our own pool! Happy days!
I have to say I did not want to leave Agali Houses and would stay at there again in a heart beat it was amazing on all levels!

However by the time we returned to La Maltese and saw our once again upgraded room the disappointment of the first few days had worn off. The staff were professional and always polite and did sort out our grievances which really cant be overlooked.

I do think the hotel is over rated and not 5 star for a few reasons, but it is nice enough and I am sure the Caldera view rooms make all the difference again. Drinks were expensive, and breakfast was minimal to say the least.
We got the usual sliced bread, and croissants served to the table with tin, tiny portions of butter, jam, marmalade etc. You are then given a menu to chose what we assumed to be the main breakfast. I don't eat eggs so opted for just bacon and potatoes... I can appreciate they were trying to be artistic but one piece of bacon twisted in the middle with a miniscule piece of parsley in the centre, and one and a half new potatoes cut into eight, to decorate my plate was literally laughable! One day I asked for extra potatoes instead of eggs it didn't happen! However watching the mist rise over the Caldera just made me not care about a silly piece of bacon... I loved the ambience of breakfast and its funny quirks.
The pool area unfortunately is just not inviting, its a small infinity pool and to look at on the terrace is very nice, but you get the impression its really there just for show.... no steps in or our are the first clue.
The surrounding area of the hotel is ok, and you can walk into Thira if you have your hiking boots and the will to want to, which I have to say many many people did, although its not my thing!!
We hired a jeep for the week and travelled right around the island. The Caldera side is stunning, and the views are unforgettable. But the resorts are really not all that... forget finding a nice beach... its not in Santorini. Kamari Beach was ok, but hot black stones, so almost impossible to walk along or get into the sea... however its very nice, with numerous bars and restaurants all along the front with a lovely holiday vibe... well worth a visit either by day or night but I would not stay in that resort.
Oia is stunning and we loved the cosmopolitan feel of Thira, it was busy in May and must be a completely crazy place at the height of the season. We felt lucky to be there at the time we chose as we always got a good seat with a great view, brilliant service everywhere we went and it was very picturesque.
Firostefani is a great location to be in and Agali Houses wins my vote on a great hotel.
I felt let down by La Maltese but have to say the professionalism of Adelina and the staff made our holiday turn around and we had an overall wonderful experience in Santorini and it was one of the best holidays we have ever had. Location and room with a view are key to a great time :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Best place to sleep, to have great recommendations by staff, personalized service, etc, everything just perfect. Even the sunset is much more beautiful and nicer than in Oia. Amazing view and little charming hotel. Loved it and would return and recommend.

Room Tip: Best room the Caldera View (Junior Suite)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

If you want a hotel with stunning views, incredible food and staff that can't do too much for you then La Maltese is the place to go. My wife and I spent a week here as part of our 40 years of marriage treats and we weren't disappointed - how many places do you go to when the management and staff come out to welcome you and wave you off when you leave. Nothing was too much trouble - they just wanted us to have a good time. We ate in far more than we had planned as the food and service were so good it "seemed silly not to". Make sure you have a view over the caldera - the sunsets were stunning.

Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We made a booking in November 2013 for a 4-night stay in early May 2014, and made a payment as part of the booking. Hours from check-in, a rather unapologetic e-mail from the hotel arrived in our junk folder, informing us that they had "misplaced" our reservation "due to a major mistake" with their computer reservation system -- a poor justification that seems to surface too often to be true.

La Maltese informed us that we had been re-booked to a hotel nearby; unfortunately, a few minutes of online research revealed that the proposed "alternative" was a room listed at less 50% of the original price of our room, and that the property had extremely poor reviews. No compensation or alternative solutions were offered to us... not even the graciousness of a phone call or apology! Had we not happen to check our junk folder right before heading to the property, we would never have known what was awaiting us!

Needless to say, we spent the next 4 hours on the phone frantically trying to be refunded and find alternative arrangements at the last minute - an experience we would certainly not wish for anyone! Please do yourself a favor and spare yourself the frustration of dealing with this hotel; there are too many lovely alternatives in Santorini to justify booking with La Maltese.

leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We arrived to La Maltese just before the season started this week and was a break for myself and husband to get away and relax for a week. The location is stunning and the staff were amazing. Brilliant customer service and they couldn't do enough to help. It was a bizarre week for weather - some hail storm when we arrived which quickly cleared up, some intense winds that eventually went away and some glorious sunshine. Food was excellent both in the hotel and in the surrounding restaurants. Met some lovely people whilst staying here. Rooms were kept clean every day. Excellent manager Adelina (probably spelt wrong) with a great team behind her especially George and his cocktails! I rarely write on trip advisor but I felt the team did an excellent job and made our holiday at La Maltese a great experience despite the weather! Guy

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Hotel is simply beautiful and the view is unbeatable. We just came back and loved every minute of our stay. We stayed in one of their two-room suites with a direct view of the Caldera. Highly recommend the upgrade. Our room was super spacious, the breakfasts were good, the amenities were plenty and the staff was simply amazing. Our two kids were us and they went out of their way to make the little ones delighted. They also taught us all about the Greek Easter traditions and invited us to partake in the activities too. The hotel was quiet and the perfect distance from the bustling,noisy Fira. We walked to Fira several times a day with no issues.

Room Tip: Upgrade for a full Caldera view, The room with the private pool would be noisier as it is right at...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to La Maltese Estate Villa? Share your experiences!