We did not stay there.We went there for a wedding.The reception was there. I needed to contact the bride before the wedding,left a message,but was not passed on to the bride.First hint of what was to come!
At first view, the place is indeed beautiful, flowing long white sheets in the wind, wonderful sunsets in the caldera, soft-spoken staff dressed in white like in some yoga or spa retreat.Those were first impressions and they were positive.
The reception though was a disaster.I felt sorry for the newlyweds and their families,who came from overseas to have a beautiful Santorini wedding, paid a lot of money for the reception only to be taken by this establishment.
The service was ridiculous. We were there from about 6.30 and dinner did not begin until 9 and even then, some people were getting their awful appetizers while others were being served dinner.Dinner did not finish until about 11.30pm. and most of it was left untouched by the guests, who decided,en masse to go to Fera town and have some souvlaki for dinner. Everyone was famished.The bride had asked for tomato soup and we got tomato juice.She had asked for fish and they presented guests with a thin jelly concoction of about 1 almond size sliver of fish on it. She had asked for stuffed tomatoes,the traditional Greek way,she got tomatoes stuffed with only onions which nobody touched.She asked for fillet mignon, she got raw meat served, blood dripping which nobody touched, and which they refused to cook a bit more. The bartender refused to mix drinks and served only drinks straight (no limit, but the person likely was not a real bartender,that is why he did not serve mixes or else he would have)
All of a sudden most staff,at the reception,was no longer nice or accommodating,but absent and mouthy when around.
They allowed about 1 hour of music, they had lost the microphone so no speeches until it was found 2 hours later, and they did not play the music the newlyweds agreed to play.
What a disaster! Especially when these people got prepaid in full by the newlyweds and from what I heard, they had paid an awful lot of money for nothing but hot air....
It is very overpriced, there are other much better places around as I saw,at much less money and better food and service.This place is overpriced and there is no good food or service after you pay your money. WE subsequently talked to other couples that had a similar wedding experience there but it was too late for our friends wedding which they will remember for all the wrong reasons.This place is apparently favoured by wedding planners from overseas,who I am sure get a big cut or else they would not be promoting this dump.Everything is prepaid,so they dont care,so anyone getting married, take my advice,stay away.....You will regret it if you dont!I dont understand any of the positive reviews on the hotel, their expectations must be very,very low or they have no travel experience,I dont know what else to say...
To the newlyweds who had their weddings there, I am sorry for the awful experience you had, but speaking from my heart, your guests will not blame you and are thankful to you for including them to your wedding. The blame falls entirely on the maltese hotel and the wedding planners who should do a more accurate hotel search for such important occasions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the highest point of the Caldera, 250m above the sea on the top of the traditional village of Imerovigli, with spectacular views of the village, the cliff, the volcano, the famous sunset and the Caldera rim 10 km from Santorini International Airport and 10 km from Athinios Port 3 km from the capital of the island, Fira located La Maltese Estate, a neoclassic mansion-captain’s house, a true sample of luxury and culture have been renovated and converted to a luxury exclusive Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your La Maltese Estate Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Maltese Hotel And Restaurant
- La Maltese Estate Villa Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece