“Nothing like the photographs on Secret Escapes” 2 of 5 stars

La Maltese Estate Villa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Imerovigli 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Imerovigli
Cyprus
“Nothing like the photographs on Secret Escapes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just want to confirm Mr Allen story as we were the honeymoon couple, being booked out was a blessing, also we had pre-booked the special menu for our second night which was all confirmed and when we turned up they said they were no longer doing it, although I have no complaints that they booked us into a superior hotel and paid for the dinner in our hotel that they couldn't provide I would never stay in this hotel ever in my life

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Re: Amit G comment. The same happened to us. We had booked 2 suites as one couple were on honeymoon. On arrival we were told the same - sorry we are double booked. That was the best thing that could have happened to us. The situation of La Maltese is bad and although it looks good in the photographs you will be disappointed to see the place with your own eyes. What about the power cables that cross the sea view and the building works next door or the very tired look inside. They are careful not to show those. Fortunately we were moved to a REAL 5 Star Hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Strombeek-Bever, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

For 3 days we have been enjoying La Maltese thanks to the brilliant staff!
The host welcomed us as if we knew her for years. She is the type of person who is friendly but not in a "played way"; you can feel she is honest!
We stayed in the suite with semi private pool which was very nice! Very clean, nicely furnished. The only thing we missed was wardrobe space as the present wardrobe is a bit tiny.
Although our room didn't have caldera vieuw the large balcony is just two steps away from where you enjoy the breathtaking view while enjoying a delicious breakfast!
Breakfast was a blessing; all fresh and well prepared. We loved the fresh fruits!
We had dinner twice and want to recommend it to everyone. The chef is brilliant and food just nice!!
It was the beginning of our stay at the cyclades and were more than happy to start at La Maltese!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room with semi private pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Weehawken, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had booked two of their 2 bedroom suites so that our entire family could stay there. ( 4 adults and 4 kids). It was a prepaid rate with no cancellation directly booked through the hotel. Upon arrival at the hotel at 9 pm at night after a long days travel, we were informed they had no rooms for us due to an error in their booking system. ( they had know of the error for several days but no-one had bothered to contact us). Eventually at 11.40 pm they shift half our family to another hotel a mile away and give us a single room with the most uncomfortable sofa bed to sleep on.

In the morning they agree to reimburse us back some of the money but we are told that we will see the credit in a couple of days. We end up staying at the hotel for 2 more days as in the middle of August there were no other options in Santorini. It has now been almost a month since we stayed there and we are still waiting for our refund. They refuse to answer to emails.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I took my chances to go to Santorini on the hottest week of the year. I must admit the island stood up to my expectations. Can't say the same for the hotel. I have booked and guaranteed with my credit card their largest room. With the poor excuse of power cuts ( read overbooking) I was downgraded to a " honeymoon suite" . The main sleeping area was no more than 12 sqm!!!! In the room there was no closet !!, ( I will attach the foto ) I understand that honeymooners do not need too many clothes, but having nowhere to put my underwear in a five ???? Star hotel sounds like a joke. I had my kids with me and they were also given a "honeymoon suite!!!!" Theirs had some space to put your clothes, but not hot water. As the nice handyman of the hotel explained to me, due to the weekend they wouldn't fix it till Monday. Three nights without a hot shower!!!

I am a Greek and I love my country. But if this is how we understand five star tourism, the worst is yet to come. In a nutshell, if you go for Santorini, you might as well avoid LA MALTESE !!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My review is coming a bit late! I had my wedding in La Maltese on June 2nd, 2013! What an amazing venue, service, room and the food was just outstanding! The venue was recently renovated to look like a white wonderland! The staff went above and beyond to ensure that the wedding goes according to plan.Giota Pottaki helped us plan our wedding all the way from Dubai. When we showed up, it was exactly as we imagined! The restaurant manager was also one of the sweetest and helpful people we came across! We had some last minute changes but the staff managed to give us the most unforgettable experience. We were 47 people and the venue was big enough, usually it's difficult to find a luxury venue with amazing views that can host up to 50 people!
We stayed at the Honeymoon suit for 3 nights after which was breathtaking! The only thing is that it has no view from inside the room (Room is a duplex style). However, when you walk outside, you walk to a terrace with the most amazing view! The location is perfect, very quite area but very close to the city-center. I recommend everyone to rent ATVs, pick up a map of the island, and just drive around!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days in July 2013. From the moment we arrived, the service was excellent. We were given a refreshing Vinsanto drink and then found we had been upgraded to a Master Suite. Once we saw the suite we were so impressed - it was huge. Four poster bed, massive bathroom area, rainfall shower, separate walk in wardrobe. There was even an extra floor upstairs which we didn't use as there were only 2 of us. We had fabulous views from the terrace and the pool area was so relaxing and never busy when were there. There are only 9 rooms in total so it is not a big hotel which makes it all the better. Adelina and her staff were always very friendly, asking how we were and how our stay was. We got breakfast in our room each day at no extra cost and the breakfast was huge. The only negative experience we had was when we booked dinner on the first night. Due to high winds we were not able to eat on the outside terrace, so we were moved inside into the room that is effectively also reception! There were 3 tables taken for dinner, one a Russian wedding party of 8, one a French family of four and us two all dining a few feet away from where people were checking in - certainly wasn't a restaurant ambience! There were only 2 choices for main course - lamb or fish. We opted for lamb at €25 each which was definitely not worth it. The smallest lamb shank I think I've ever seen and 2 small potates cut in half to give 4 even smaller potatoes! Also, for some reason I couldn't work out the waiter kept pouring our wine and then taking it away from our table and leaving it on the piano! I don't mind the waiter pouring the wine but it's nice to have it left on your table so that you can pour it yourself if the waiter is busy elsewhere! We dined just down the road in the village the following night and the food was better at half the price. However, the dining was the only let down. All in all, this is a great hotel to stay in - you will constantly be looking at the view and quietly shaking your head in disbelief at how beautiful it is.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Maltese Estate Villa? Share your experiences!