“SMALL YES, LUXURY NO (PART 2)” 2 of 5 stars

You added La Maltese Estate Villa to your Saves list
La Maltese Estate Villa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Imerovigli 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #37 of 42 hotels in Imerovigli
“SMALL YES, LUXURY NO (PART 2)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I wrote the first part of my review for this hotel while I was still there, under my other tripadvisor account (YAZITZOGLOU), so this is the second part. The day after I posted my review the lady in charge of the hotel told me that I was unfair to the hotel because the hot water issue was not reported to them and as soon as we told them the next day they fixed it. May the record show that the issue of downgrading us from the Master suite to a room called the honeymoon suite which was 1/3 the size, was never addressed by the hotel responsible.... Not even an apology for marketing reasons.
But since I don't want to be unfair to the hotel, I must also say that the personnel was extremely polite and helpful and that whatever food we had (breakfast and some snacks) was very good. For the rest please refer to my pictures.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is really small. Master suite is very comfortable in matter of space
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I took my chances to go to Santorini on the hottest week of the year. I must admit the island stood up to my expectations. Can't say the same for the hotel. I have booked and guaranteed with my credit card their largest room. With the poor excuse of power cuts ( read overbooking) I was downgraded to a " honeymoon suite" . The main sleeping area was no more than 12 sqm!!!! In the room there was no closet !!, ( I will attach the foto ) I understand that honeymooners do not need too many clothes, but having nowhere to put my underwear in a five ???? Star hotel sounds like a joke. I had my kids with me and they were also given a "honeymoon suite!!!!" Theirs had some space to put your clothes, but not hot water. As the nice handyman of the hotel explained to me, due to the weekend they wouldn't fix it till Monday. Three nights without a hot shower!!!

I am a Greek and I love my country. But if this is how we understand five star tourism, the worst is yet to come. In a nutshell, if you go for Santorini, you might as well avoid LA MALTESE !!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My review is coming a bit late! I had my wedding in La Maltese on June 2nd, 2013! What an amazing venue, service, room and the food was just outstanding! The venue was recently renovated to look like a white wonderland! The staff went above and beyond to ensure that the wedding goes according to plan.Giota Pottaki helped us plan our wedding all the way from Dubai. When we showed up, it was exactly as we imagined! The restaurant manager was also one of the sweetest and helpful people we came across! We had some last minute changes but the staff managed to give us the most unforgettable experience. We were 47 people and the venue was big enough, usually it's difficult to find a luxury venue with amazing views that can host up to 50 people!
We stayed at the Honeymoon suit for 3 nights after which was breathtaking! The only thing is that it has no view from inside the room (Room is a duplex style). However, when you walk outside, you walk to a terrace with the most amazing view! The location is perfect, very quite area but very close to the city-center. I recommend everyone to rent ATVs, pick up a map of the island, and just drive around!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days in July 2013. From the moment we arrived, the service was excellent. We were given a refreshing Vinsanto drink and then found we had been upgraded to a Master Suite. Once we saw the suite we were so impressed - it was huge. Four poster bed, massive bathroom area, rainfall shower, separate walk in wardrobe. There was even an extra floor upstairs which we didn't use as there were only 2 of us. We had fabulous views from the terrace and the pool area was so relaxing and never busy when were there. There are only 9 rooms in total so it is not a big hotel which makes it all the better. Adelina and her staff were always very friendly, asking how we were and how our stay was. We got breakfast in our room each day at no extra cost and the breakfast was huge. The only negative experience we had was when we booked dinner on the first night. Due to high winds we were not able to eat on the outside terrace, so we were moved inside into the room that is effectively also reception! There were 3 tables taken for dinner, one a Russian wedding party of 8, one a French family of four and us two all dining a few feet away from where people were checking in - certainly wasn't a restaurant ambience! There were only 2 choices for main course - lamb or fish. We opted for lamb at €25 each which was definitely not worth it. The smallest lamb shank I think I've ever seen and 2 small potates cut in half to give 4 even smaller potatoes! Also, for some reason I couldn't work out the waiter kept pouring our wine and then taking it away from our table and leaving it on the piano! I don't mind the waiter pouring the wine but it's nice to have it left on your table so that you can pour it yourself if the waiter is busy elsewhere! We dined just down the road in the village the following night and the food was better at half the price. However, the dining was the only let down. All in all, this is a great hotel to stay in - you will constantly be looking at the view and quietly shaking your head in disbelief at how beautiful it is.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
southampton, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant last year and gave it the thumbs up. I went there again at the end of June 2013 and now I have to say "avoid". The setting is beautiful. The service was incredibly slow considering there was only 5 tables. The menu was inaccurate - salmon turned out to be smoked salmon (which my wife cannot eat). They took hers away but left my starter to get cold. The quality of the food was so so. The portion size was small and it was the highest bill of the week.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at La Maltese on 15 June 2013 with 78 guests from England attending.

What an amazing day we had. We booked a master suite which was amazing with two bedrooms, bathrooms, lounge and amazing views over the caldera ! There was enough room for me, six bridesmaids, 3 flowergirls and 3 pageboys to get ready without being on top of one and other. We couldn't have asked for more attentive staff on our special day especially from Roger ( the bar man ) and Nick ( also the bar man) who kept all our guests replenished with drink and after drink all afternoon and evening. A huge special thank you to Adelina who was a gem from start to finish ! My dress had become creased in transit from the UK causing a huge stress 2 days before the big day. Adelinas response " why are you worrying, bring me your dress and I will sort it " and that was that ! On the day it was perfect.

The newly refurbished venue was even more beautiful than before. Everything was taken care of. The food was amazing especially given they had 78 to serve all in one sitting and everyone commented on the fillet of beef which was so tender !

On returning to our room at 330 am ( Adelina and Roger still working their magic ) our room was filled with candles and rose petals making a perfect end to a perfect day.

We cannot thank you enough. If anyone is thinking of having a wedding in Santorini, LA maltese is the perfect place. Whilst it was expensive we can truly say it was worth every penny and we will be back without a doubt.

Mick and Becky xx

Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

As everyone else says, Adelina is an abolute gem. Roger was sweet to me on the last day but not before, Nick is amazing and clearly insanely overworked. But the rest no - don't go near it I'm afraid. This was my first ever solo holiday. And on the first day I wanted to go home. My room was not sea facing as I had been promised but backed onto a tiny passageway near the road. My bed was up a perilous wooden staircase. The enitre 'suite' stank which I mentioned several times though nothing was done. At the other end of the room were the staff quarters so I could always hear plates being washed up, orders being shouted and the preferred space for smoking fags was right outside my bathroom so I had to close my window when showering (thus capturing the pong) without being seen. The phone didn't work (though the lovely Adelina let me use the hotel phone, but I therefore had to do so in public). The TV had only local Greek channels, no satellite tv. The pool is tiny and impossible to get out of - why no steps or ladder? It really put me off getting in and was made worse by the fact that you are forced to gaze at all the other nearby hotel' far superior pools. Nothing was 'included' at all - not even water - at these prices, one would expect a bottle of water in the room. Other hotels (Fours Seasons and the like) bring guests bits to eat or drink around the pool - they aim to "surprise and delight". There is none of that here - no one even asks if you woudl like a drink when you are at the pool. Each time I wanted something, I had to go and find someone , even knocking on the kitchen door. There are nowhere near enough staff - at times (breakfast) one waiter was serving all the breakfasts, managing the reception, taking room service orders and then delivering them. He couldn't do it all and it certainly was not his fault. There is so much corner cutting in this hotel. The company with whom I had booked had messed up my dates to I was forced, ont the spot to pay for two whole days that I wasn't there even though I told them that I woudl sort this out from England. Again this is not normal practise. None of this would have mattered TOO much but on the Saturday, at breakfast I realised that the (very samll) hotel was hosting a wedding. Non one had told me this on booking, nor on checking in nor even the night before. It then became apaprent, that the hotel was expecting all of the guests to leave for the day and evening becuase the wedding was taking place throughout and the kitchen etc was closed for guests. No one apologised. No one explained. No one said "we have a reciprocal arrangement with another hotel so do go there for the day" or "here's supper on us". Nothing. We either had to stay in our rooms, food and drinkless or leave until the next morning (apart from sleeping). So basically La Maltese is making a fortune from its paying guests who it then turfs out to make a simultanous fortune from a wedding party. Without explanation or apology! I've never heard of anthing so greedy or ill mannered in my life. No where else in the world would do this, with no notice and no compesnsation. The next morning the poor staff were exhausted and things were even slower than usual. I heard three other couple being taken around to check it out for their weddings - this is obviously a frequent occurence and each couple is assured that the hotel will be "all theirs". Adelina is wasted on this place which simply exists to strip its 'guests' of cash. Steer clear. And someone else snap Adelina up fast.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to La Maltese Estate Villa? Share your experiences!