“Romantic,beautiful,ideal place for a honeymoon...” 5 of 5 stars

Afroessa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Imerovigli, Imerovigli 847 00, Greece   |
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Imerovigli
San Francisco
“Romantic,beautiful,ideal place for a honeymoon...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Nothing can be better than the service provided by Michael and Ioanna ... they made our stay so comfortable and pleasant . They had great suggestions for places to visit and restaurants. The view from our room was fabulous ...My husband and me were there on our honeymoon .. and jus waking up to the beautiful view of the caldera and enjoying it while we had our breakfast in the balcony .. was awesome ... We could not have selected a better place for our honey moon if it is enjoying the sunset from our balcony or lazying around by the pool it is the place to be ... Michael and Ioanna are more than helpful even while making reservations they were so pleasant and kind ... always ready to go out of their way to help you with anything you need ....

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
lisbon Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

This is one of my favourite places in the world .
The view is fantastic and the service is very good .
Ioanna and Michael are very friendly and we feel we are in our home .
Taking the breakfast in the balconny is very pleasent and looking at the sunset is quiet an experience .

• Liked — The location and the hospitality of IOANNA and MICHAEL
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

Elena and Steph Greece.
We stayed at Afroessa in june and it is just now that i finally got down to writing my review.I am not going to mention the spectacular view..nor the great feeling you get having breakfast practically hanging over the cliff.What impressed me the most was the hospitality of Ioanna who went out of her way to make us feel at home.I will just mention that we had a very late flight on our return day but she let us enjoy the room with no extra charge (..it has never happened to me before).Being Greek i felt really proud that the word Filoxenia is honored at this place.Thank you Afroessa for a great stay and most of all thank you for restoring my faith in Greek hospitality

• Liked — the people who ran the establishment and the view
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Imerovigli is a very beautiful place, it's true. However, there are a few things to overcome that are general to the location (which is worth it), and a few to overcome specific to this hotel (which is not worth it).

1) The water and electricity might go out...for a whole 12 hours or so. But never fear, your staff will be there to help you through it...oh, wait, no they won't. I understand that there was nothing they could do about the power, but the water? Eventually, that becomes a health concern. Instead of showering, we swam in the ice-cold pool...only to find that the beach chairs were all broken. Even when you had water and electricity, you still needed to flip on the hot water 10 minutes before jumping in the shower. Fun times at the Afroessa!

2) The view is incredible, true. But the back aches...oh, the back aches. I'm a fan of a firm matress, but this is more like a "hard" mattress. It was more than a little uncomfortable. I, for one, can't really appreciate the view when I'm leaning over with a broken back.

3) I read such delightful tales of great service, but I must have missed it. After having arranged ground transportation (ie cab) through the hotel for our dawn flight in from Athens, there was no ground transportation at all...we called the hotel, they answered, told us "oh, just take a cab." Then, we thought surely someone would be at reception when we arrived, having just gotten off the phone with them 20 minutes previously. Shortly after we got there, Mike did arrive. I was left wondering though, were we the first people in the history of the hotel to have taken the morning flight in from Athens? I mean, there are only two flights a day? Don't most people take the early one?

4) Also, we had a little bet going about whether they would replace the drinking water since apparently, it's not safe to drink the tap water. I lost - they did not replace it. Better go to the mini-mart yourself if you like water in the morning! :-)

So, the pros: location, location, location.
And the cons: service, lack of 21st century amenities, beds.

In short, if I had it to do all over again, I would stay in Oia and enjoy the beautiful sunsets...or fork up the cash for one of the luxury places in Imerovigli.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The amenities
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Our 5 night stay at Afroessa started out reasonably well.

Although we hadn't been aware that the reception was only manned until 9pm (it hadn't been apparent when we booked using www.hotel.net.gr), we didn't have to wait very long after phoning the 'emergency' numbers visible from outside the reception (on the second of about 6 levels from the walkway at the top). We were intensely thankful we had roaming on our mobiles, otherwise I guess we might have eventually plucked up the courage to bang on a guest door and beg for help!

Guys, if you come from September onwards, please be aware the nights might be pretty nippy and pack accordingly! It was a very chilly - though brief - 10 minute wait.

Mike, who rescued us, took our baggage down the remaining steep flights to our 'mid level' room.

We had a tantalising impression of our view - an interrupted spray of distant lights across the ocean but hurried inside, out of the brisk sea-wind.

We had a 'traditional' room - room 4 or 5 - and the decor had some lovely quirky touches like atmospheric sheer crimson curtains and unusual lamps. It was nearly immaculate: there was a wire I hoped wasn't live, poking out of a lovely bed-side niche in the wall; and, as I run around barefoot whenever I can, I quickly discovered the floor had a dusting of grey powdery dust.

Mike was quite charming and carefully said that although the owner wasn't there, we shouldn't worry, she was coming back Sunday. Also that Mike knew everything anyway and it would be fine. It was a sweet speech - sounding a little like the first time he had been left to mind the store - perhaps because it was no longer high season.

He explained that the tap water on the island wasn't drinkable and explained how everything worked. There was no rush to leave in the morning - the cleaners would come whenever we decided to leave. We had a few questions about how and what to do but agreed we would deal with them in the morning. A mistake.

The morning brought quite a different-seeming Mike, unfortunately a change that lasted our stay. Our breakfast order was taken quite abruptly, just short of rude and Mike hung up before the call was finished. Fine - perhaps breakfasts are highly stressful times with so many rooms to do.

Then, later, a quick call to ask some questions and see if the dusty floor could be mopped drew a very short response that my feet must have gotten dusty because we'd opened the window, not that the floor was insufficiently clean.

Luckily the view from our balcony was breathtaking - mesmeric, in fact. The interruption to the lights I'd noticed the night before was in fact where the caldera edge had disappeared into the sea in the time of the Minoan eruption. We had an amazing view that I'll leave to others to describe. Location, location, location. Breakfast was absolutely fine.

On our way out, we passed through reception. In pattern that was to be repeated the remainder of our stay, I tested out my charm on Mike to see if a few days of warmth would defrost him. Warm salutations, enquiries about his health and wishing him a good day received 'Fine' and then silence. Never the corresponding social nicety of 'and how are you?' or 'you too'.

I began to wonder if it could be the stress of running the business, given each time he was smoking and watching TV, or if he just didn't like people.

In our experience the bus was a slow option - maybe because of shoulder season? - and not so convenient - you can spend 30 minutes waiting at Imerovigli stops in either direction, only to be passed by the next bus because it is over-full! As a result we ended up hiring a car which made a lot of sense. The post-sunset bus queues at Ia are also rather crazy - but that way at least you don't have to negotiate the bends in the dark.

All the suggestions from the hotel - a mini market, restaurant, car hire, boat trip - were rather more expensive than other alternatives available. If price is a consideration for you, perhaps you could check out the other car hire options in Imerovigli, and the boat trip that is about one quarter the cost of the recommended one (at just 18-35 euro per person - book at any agent in Fira). I'm sure more was offered at the recommended boat, but it's good to know there are cheaper options if you are on a budget.

The last somewhat discordant note was on the day we slept late and the cleaner took to jangling her keys outside our door for 15 minutes while we had a leisurely breakfast, before knocking on our door and asking if she could clean. We took about another 10 minutes to get ready for the day (keys, sunscreen etc) which she spent jangling those keys. Not the most charming of starts to a day on holiday, when we'd been specifically told there was no hurry to get going.

My score would be a 3.5 - ie 5 for location (if you enjoy solitude and have a car) and 2 for service, but I can't express that using the Tripadvisor overall experience rating.

I'm kind of sad we didn't have the service experience everyone else was raving about - maybe high season is the way to go?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

We stayed at Afroessa for our 10th anniversary and loved every minute of it. Ioanna, the owner of Afroessa helped me pick the perfect room and restaurant to surprise my wife with for this unforgettable trip to Santorini. We couldn't have picked a more wonderful and more romantic place to stay. Wanting to make sure everything was just right, I phoned and emailed quite a few times and always got immediate and friendly assistance. By the time we arrived it felt like we were meeting an old friend.

With such a great experience booking our stay, I assumed that the service couldn't be better than we expected. But when we arrived we met Michalis, who made our stay even more amazing. When he met us to carry our luggage he looked like he stepped out of a Mediterranean movie like The Big Blue. He seemed to be there anytime we needed anything, including fresh breakfast on the balcony, great mojitos by the pool, a packed lunch for hiking, and to book any reservations we needed. The best part about having Michalis at the hotel was the personalized recommendations he gave us. He was able to read us and recommend the perfect excursions for us, from a hike down to Ammoudi Bay and a remote local swimming hole, to booking a sailing trip around the island for us. Trust his recommendations of restaurants, he will probably know the owners and get you top notch service. By the way, he is also the guy that painted the fresco images on the ceiling in room #2, copied from the archeological dig on the island. Nice touch.

The hotel is located in Imerovigli which is a romantic 30-45 minute walk from Fira, if you walk along the caldera through the connected villages. Not really sure how long it takes, as we were always stopping to take in the view or to visit a restaurant. The village of Imerovigli is the second highest point on the island and the highest point on the caldera. From what I could estimate, the hotel is perched 1300 feet above the water which makes for an unforgettable view.

My advice if you're taking your wife, fiance or girlfriend to Santorini, is to keep the island and this hotel a secret until you get there. The view entering the grounds and walking down to your room is breathtaking and can only be truly appreciated in person. Ioanna and Michalis will make sure that your visit is one of a kind, especially if you get to know them. It helps to read up on the island and have an idea of all there is to see and do, but once you get there go with the flow and let those sites and activities call you to different parts of the island. When we had one day left, we had yet to see the beaches, the hot springs and other parts of the island, so Michalis recommended a great semi-private afternoon and sunset sailing trip around the island. Great way to end the trip and fit it all in.

• Liked — The authenticity, the staff/owners, the beauty of the hotel and the amazing private view.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing. Could have stayed for much longer.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Düsseldrof
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Just the perfect place to stay if you look for a quite and romantic stay in Santorini.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — expensive breakfast
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Afroessa Hotel? Share your experiences!