“Super hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 42 hotels in Imerovigli
Burnley
“Super hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, and were even given a choice of rooms. We chose room 24 which was on 2 levels, very spacious, clean, well furnished and had a wonderful very private balcony to sit on and enjoy the views of the caldera (which are trully stunning). The reason for my holiday was to get some late Autumn sunshine and recharge my batteries. I achieved my goal because of the setting, tranquility and staff of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Upon arrival, we were amazed at Heliotopos' exclusive location. It is at the inner most point of the Imerovigli cliffs overlooking the Caldera, shared only by it's neighbours on either side. It sits proudly at the highest peak of the Caldera, you look right and your eyes take you all the way along the Caldera to the tip of Oia. Looking left you can see the volcanic islands in centre of the Caldera and all the way to Akrotiri on the other end of the island.

Each morning we woke up in disbelief at the surreal views. Sunsets were extremely special and very romantic! We spent plenty of time looking around the island, but the view from Heliotopos was the best. Probably one of the reasons they are the hot spot on the island for wedding ceremonies...

As a photographer, I must say that I found no better place to take a full panorama of the Caldera than from Heliotopos. You are centrally located at the highest peak as close to the cliffs as possible, whilst still having a high vantage point. Simply breathtaking...

Heliotopos is the kind of place that my wife and I will be talking about with each other for years to come. The family that runs the hotel and their 'extended family' (the other staff members) are all so amazingly friendly, you instantly feel like you are in a traditional Greek family environment, and that you are very much a welcome part of it! For example, wee arrived quite late on our first night (10pm) to the sounds of laughter and talking and they said "We have been expecting you!". Before we knew it, we were sitting with the family sharing in laughter, cheese and wine!

Breakfast in the courtyard was also amazing and cannot be left unmentioned. Each morning the staff are willing and waiting for a request of fresh hand squeezed orange juice and/or some freshly cooked eggs (any way you want them). Also on rotation are the traditional family recipes of pies, slices, cakes, and homemade jams and marmalades. So so yummy!!!

From the courtyard it was only a few steps away to the privacy and amazing silence of our apartment.

The apartment we stayed in was two stories with views of the entire Caldera with a lounge suite and nice outdoor setting on the balcony. It is an amazing place to relax, read a good book whilst sipping on some local wine and enjoying the view.

The sheer beauty of the area and the comfort of the hotel was exceptional, but what was truly unique and the stand out factor was getting to experience a little bit of what genuine Greek family life is like through the friendly staff at Heliotopos.

We toured Europe for 3 months and without hesitation, Heliotopos was the highlight of our trip and was unlike anything else we experienced!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from being married at the hotel Heliotopos . It has the most wonderful staff and wedding coordinator team I have ever met . Our day was perfect and the team at the hotel made both the wedding and our stay seamless and enjoyable . If you want to stay as close to heaven as you can and be married in the most beautiful spot in the world hotel Heliotopos is the place to go. Wonderful memories will remain with us forever .

• Stayed October 2013
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel... there were only two shortcomings... our bathroom and the pool, but those things aside everything was wonderful. The staff at the hotel is fantastic... friendly, knowledgeable, caring, resourceful, and dedicated to ensure we had a wonderful time.

The setting is perfect... both the hotel and the surrounding area. Our room was large, unique, comfortable, a good value, and had an amazing balcony where we took in the sunset on most of the nights we were there. The furniture in the room was very comfortable and a perfect place to relax and take in the view and the fresh air. This hotel is extremely well positioned to take in the sunsets. I loved the windows of our room and we would keep those open at night and enjoy the breeze.

Breakfast was included with the room and everything was delicious! I should note, there are several amazing restaurants in walking distance of the Helitopos which I truly enjoyed. We were often rushed trying to squeeze in as much as we could and it was nice to know we could eat somewhere amazing after a short walk. The hotel can set you up with reservations and directions to all of these restaurants.

Let's talk about the bathroom... I travel alot and I'm lucky enough to go to some amazing places... I had read another review about this hotel and someone was quite damning about the bathooms, so I knew it was a possible shortcoming upon my arrival. Yes, I would agree the bathroom doesn't meet the standard of today's luxury hotels as well as the standard set by this hotel from all other perspectives, but it didn't take away from my overall experience. My counsel would be to set your expectations accordingly as it relates to the bathroom and you will be fine.

One other thing... If you are looking for a large infinity pool, you will not get that here. The pool is relatively small with 3 lounge chairs next to it. That being said, I spent several hours relaxing by the pool and a little time in the pool and while small it was still wonderful. As you walk the area, you will see some of the newer hotels have larger pools with more seating options. A nice to have in my mind.

In the end, this hotel comes highly recommended!!! You will not want to leave this place!

Room Tip: Room 24 was brilliant!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Heliotopos was amazing, we had been travelling for six weeks and arriving at Heliotopos made us feel like we had arrived at a friends house to stay. All the staff are wonderful and would sit down each morning and chat to guests, find out their plans for the day, and offer great suggestions. We had three children with us and they were also made to feel very welcome. Nothing was too hard for the staff, including providing us with a very early breakfast on our day of departure. When we went to leave we tried to pay for the wonderful iced coffees, freshly juiced OJ's etc, having assumed these were extra, but to our surprise they were all included. The warmth and enthusiasm of the staff meant that the morning chats often ended up with guests all meeting and chatting as well, resulting in friends we hope to stay in contact with for many years to come (a ten year reunion would be good!).We could not have ended our holiday any better, unless of course we could have stayed longer. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Damascus, Syria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The place to create great memories ... I will never forget each and every moment I spent there .. there are many hotels in Santorini, but this one makes you feel like you are part of the hotel family members ... the room are wonderfully decorated ... the food is great ... location is perfect ... in total .. I highly recommend this hotel ...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hard to know where to begin when describing the greatest 9 days of my life, but I do know that I have to credit the Heliotopos staff for 90% of the amazing experience; I'll give 10% to the gorgeous island, heavenly food, fantastic history, the kind people of Santorini, and my boy friend, of course. The hotel itself is the fantastical island summer home I could only dream about. It doesn't feel like a cold modern slick hotel where staff where a uniform with a name tag...it feels like home, run by the Greek family you didn't realize you had. The room was gorgeous (each with a breathtaking view of the Caldera), spotless, fully equipped with all the necessities and more (e.g., comfortable bed/pillows, bath robes, toiletries, etc). And anything else you could possibly need was a phone call away. Breakfast...homemade, fresh, gourmet Greek cuisine, and beyond perfect (did I mention the fresh squeezed OJ and endless supply of great coffee?). The service from each and every team member at the hotel was outstanding. I took ever single suggestion and recommendation they made to me (thank you Lila, Helena, and Yiota) and each far exceeded my expectations, from restaurants to catamaran tours, art shops to walking paths, cooking classes to historical sites...they know and love Santorini like no other. Furthermore, I greatly enjoyed the Heliotopos clientele...I believe a place like Heliotopos and the good people that make it so, only attract lovely people to stay. It makes a big difference when there are pleasant and considerate guests staying in the same place; we even took a catamaran sailing tour with several other guests and had a wonderful time. My final thoughts: if you want anonymity, adequate service, and a generic hotel experience...don't go to Heliotopos. If you want the best experience that's worth every penny and then some...Heliotopos is your home in Santorini. I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Heliotopos Hotel? Share your experiences!