First of all, sorry for the late review. My girlfriend and i went to this little heaven on earth called astra in the beginning of July 2013.
I was intregued by this hotel after reading a lot of reviews on tripadvisor and like many persons i was thinking between Astra Suites and Anastasia suites to go to. I called both hotels and it seemed very clear i prefered to go to Astra. Astra was much more friendly and personal in their service. Once I was in Santorini i went to anastacia to compare Astra with anastasia and Astra is much better for a few reasons. First of all Astra is much better Located you are really in the middle of everything. Second of all Astra hotel is much more authentic, you are living in a caldera while in the other hotel you are staying in a regular hotel, isnt one of the reasons people come to santorini to enjoy the famous caldera? Astra gives you the feeling you are actually living in the Caldera itselve. And last bot not least I had the feeling that Anastasia was more a kind of `resort` than a romantic hotel.
We landed late in the evening in Santorini and we were picked up by a car of the hotel. I think it is a 15 euro upgrade to get picked up at the airport but it is really worth every single penny. Upon arrival people took immideately care of my luggage and I was amazed to be greeted by the hotel manager Georges at this late time in the evening. Apparently he makes it a point to greet every single guest personally upon arrival. Georges took more his time ( more than 15 minutes) to explain everything about the hotel and he gave me the feeling he was a friend I already knew for over 10 year. After talking with him we were still able to have dinner at the restaurant of the hotel(11 pm). The food was fantastic and the service superb, i started to understand that this hotel was going to be better than everything i red about it. I choose for a suite with a private jacuzzi at the balcony at the lowest point of the hotel. Altough it is quite a lot of steps you need to take i think this room is the best room you can get. It is super private and has a magnificent view.
The breakfast is served at the balcony of your bedroom which is phenomenal. It is super romantic and you have superb view.
Something that is also important to mention is the service at the pool which is fantastic. Kostas is the bartender and knows how to make some unbelievable cocktails. My favourite one was definately the Key Lime cocktail.
I would recomend to have a walk to Oia, try to leave early in the morning because its quite a long trip and there is a lot of sunshine. A very good restaurant to visit over there is Taverna Katina where your table is just next to the weather and where you can see the fresh fish been taken out of the water.
Closer to the hotel i would recommand you to go to Anogi restaurant. Dont forget to ask the hotel to make a reservation or you wont get in.
After all i can say that this holiday was an unforgetable holiday for me and my girlfriend and i would recommend everybody to go to this fantastic place and to enjoy this hotel.
I would just fly over to Santorini to be able to stay in this hotel.
Georges and the whole Atra team, thank you for an experience i will never forget in my life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built at the highest point of Santorini’s steep cliffs at the legendary caldera, the Astra Suites complex enjoys the privilege of a magical panoramic view to the caldera and the immense Aegean Sea. It is the place where everything and everybody “conspire” to make you feel a VIP during your vacations. Twenty seven sumptuous Suites decorated in Cycladic style and 8 tempting suites with jacuzzi and private swimming pool welcome you to a hospitable environment where the discreet service of each individual guest is the complex’s basic instinct, and the protection of his private moments constitutes the staff’s basic priority. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B, Expedia, Booking.com, EasyToBook, Priceline, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Astra Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astra Hotel Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Hotel
- Astra Apartments Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Santorini
- Astra Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece