“The ONLY place to stay in Santorini- simply stunning!” 5 of 5 stars

Astra Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 45, Imerovigli 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Imerovigli
New York City, New York
“The ONLY place to stay in Santorini- simply stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've just come back from a 10 day stay at Astra (Sep 2012), and I'm still in awe of the island and hotel I love so much. I consider this place my 'home away from home'. I've been coming to the Greek Islands for the last 16 years, and to Santorini for the last 7 years. All of my friends would think I'm crazy for coming back to the same place year after year. But when you travel to this island, and stay at the wonderful hotel of Astra, you will truly understand why. I convinced my best friend to have her wedding here this year, and both she & her soon to be husband had never even been to Santorini before, ever. So as you can imagine, that was a lot of pressure on me to deliver an experience of a lifetime, to bring to reality the magical place I've been telling them about for so long, my most favorite place in the world. And now they all understand why I come back so many times, and they've already told me they'll be coming back every year too! George, the hotel manager, made my friends and I feel so welcome and went above and beyond to make my friends' wedding a beautiful one. He was the officiant who married them and he planned all the details of the wedding. He makes you feel like you are home when you arrive to the hotel, and is so warm and kind, and just amazing! The hotel staff are great too. One of the best things about the hotel, aside from the spectacular views and sunsets, is the amazing breakfast that is delivered to your balcony each morning (up until 11:30am, suh-weettt!!) so that you can bask in the glory of the early morning sunrise and tranquility of the island. Then once you move to the infinity pool and bar to enjoy mid afternoon and sunset, Chris the bartender will make you the most amazing mojito you've ever had (and he'll make you laugh too! He is quite witty!) Sharen, the reservations manager, is awesome and very knowledgeable about the island, the good 'local' places to eat, things to do etc. Astra is the only place I stay when I go to Santorini for all the reasons I mention above, the beauty of the property itself, it's unique position on the island, their wonderful staff, and the close proximity to the main town Fira. (The cliffside walk to town is only about 30-45 mins and is a great way to take in the sunset and take pictures). As I'm a 'regular' at this hotel, I can truly call these people my friends. Thank you Astra for being amazing! :) Xo- Lisa

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Corona del Mar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Had a great time and this hotel was fantastic. Staff was beyond friendly and very helpful in taking care of all of my needs. Hotel has some of the best views and is centrally located. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

One of the best hotels we have stayed in and the epitome of what a boutique hotel should be. After 5 other islands we arrived in Santorini. We booked Astra, not only because it looked impressive on the website, but because a few of the other hotels would not allow children! Astra was more welcoming and accomodating. Picked up from the Port (a service that should perhaps be free?), we were whisked to Imerivigli. At this point my forst impressions of Santorini were mixed - crowded, bustling, touristy and not like some of the quieter islands we had just visited. Fears were allayed when we arrived at the hotel. It is a short walk (luggage portered) but then a boutique oasis of calm. After a warm welcome and a detailed island brief from George we were shown to our rooms. We had the two pool suites side by side and they were exceptional. A huge bedroom, bathroom and sitting room with high ceilings and a lot of space - the photos on the website do not do justice. Room service was great - the children had pasta and watched a DVD in the evening, and my wife and I had a meal in the hotel restaurant which was very good, and great wines. I was not too aware before booking of the geography and location of Imerivigli and the hotel in relation to the main town, but it is in a perfect spot. The Fira can be reached in a 30 minute walk along a coastal path and well worth it. The location also slightly distances from the Cruise ship tourists who crowd into the centre but thankfully do not stray to much further. Santorini itself is not the prettiest island in the Cyclades. The beaches are not that impressive - Red beach was so crowded we did not even try to find a spot. The trip to the Volcano was fun to do, but only on a short trip. Overall a very impressive hotel - it wasn't cheap (especially paying for 2 rooms) but worth it. I walked past several other hotels (which had looked fabulous on their websites) and I would have been sorely disappointed with them. Only point to make for the more elderly traveller is that there are a lot of steep steps and so may not be that suitable for someone who struggles.

Room Tip: The Pool suites were exceptional - I booked my children into the other one next door which was an id...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
North Wales, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Fortunately we did Santorini as our last stop in the Greek Isles - otherwise the island would have spoiled it for the other stops. Simply spectacular - particularly staying in Imerovigli - the highest spot on the island. Then to top it off, we stayed at the Astra Suites. We were in a junior suite - two balconies facing the sunset. Breakfast delivered to your balcony every day (included). One of the nicest places we have ever stayed.

Two other items really made Astra Suites stand out - the service and the restaurant. The office was staffed 24x7 and their recommendations and reviews were spot on. From the sunset cruise to the recommendation to rent a car for the day to see the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We returned last night from a week staying at Astra Suites, we had a junior suite. We had the most fantastic time in Santorini and this was largely down to staying in such and idyllic place. Right from the first meeting at the airport to the minute we were dropped off, the whole experience was first class.

Let's start with waking up in the morning, you open your doors to be greeted by the most amazing view. Everything is pretty quiet and tranquil, and your pre-ordered to your own specifications breakfast is delivered to your suite with a smile. Great breakfast!

Every single thing that you want, a car, a quad bike, a trip, a recommendation, where do we eat fish? how do we get there? George and his whole team are amazing, attentive, ever-present, genuine and yet at the same time non-intrusive. When you want them, they are right there and then they seem to be invisible and give you privacy.

We had a number of cocktails mixed by Chris at the pool bar, he's a great guy - again, chatty and friendly but with a great knack of being discreet when he senses you want a bit of quiet time. He mixes awesomely good cocktails and is happy to give you top tips for the island - he's probably the guy that people interact with a lot and he's perfect for the role he fulfils there.

Watch the sunset from your terrace or by the pool, I looked at that view for about 2 hours every day and it literally washed all my troubles away.

Apart from the great location and fab service, the Greeks are lovely, they show you a good time, the country is great, the food is fabulous......support Greece!!!!

I'm going back next year....perhaps another island but yep, somewhere is Greece is getting some more Euro's from me!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Myself & my husband have recently got back from staying at Astra Suites for five nights… & we wish we were still there! I did a lot of research before booking a place in Santorini & after reading the reviews for Astra Suites on Tripadviser I decided this is the place we wanted to stay, we weren’t disappointed! It’s difficult to put into words how fabulous this place really is… they’ve just got everything right. From the moment I got in touch with Astra I was impressed, but when we arrived as the sun was setting we got such a warm welcome and George insisted we go & watch the sunset at the pool bar before we checked in which we did. We met Chris the barman & knew instantly that we were going to like it here. What can I say, the sunsets are magical & there is no better place to watch the sunset that at the pool bar with one of Chris’s fabulous cocktails. We ate at the hotel twice & the food was fantastic. There was a lovely tranquil atmosphere & the staff were great at helping us decide what to eat & choosing local wine.

Astra is positioned between Fira & Oia. Fira is a picturesque 20 min walk away along the cliffs where there are lots of bars & restaurants & it’s bit more touristy. Imerovigli is more quite, but there are still some great Taverna’s nearby, we went to Anogi twice & loved it! Oia is in the other direction & is only 10 minutes in the car / by bus or a 2 hour cliff walk. George was very good at suggesting the best places to eat & visit on the island. It was difficult to tear ourselves away from Astra, but the highlights for us were spending the day in Oia exploring & having lunch at Dimitris Taverna in the Amoudi Bay and going on the Thelassa Sunset Boat trip that leaves from Fira.

If you are looking for a romantic, relaxing and stylish break then this is your place. It’s very tranquil & has a very relaxed atmosphere. It never felt crowded at the pool and there were always sun loungers / sunbeds available. We stayed in one of their apartments which we loved with our own private balcony where they served our breakfast every morning. The décor is stylish and everything appears to be in pristine condition. The staff were always happy to help & nothing was ever too much trouble. I would highly recommend Astra Suites to anyone who is looking at visiting Santorini.

THANK YOU every one at Astra Suites for making our stay so special… hopefully it won’t be too long until we’re back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

If you choose santorini for your holiday, you have to consider Astra suits for your stay. The staff were amazing and helpful and keep smiling in your face. They keep surprising you every day with complements and literally they organised every single trip and rentals for us without any extras. The view from our balcony was breath taking and it is the best spot for the amazing sunset of santorini. We absolutely loved it and I strongly recommend it.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Astra Suites? Share your experiences!