This hotel can brag about the view but facing facts, the view is absolutely breathtaking from most places on the island. Its out of the way location, is actually a plus. Its half way between Fira and Oia but perfect for peace and ease of getting between the two. Gold Suites did upgrade us upon arrival (see www.slh.com) but it wasn't for our entire stay which was a hassle. Now we did stay longer than most, 10 days but found that moving really disrupted our vacation even though they did try to lessen the inconvenience. We also found that we were not the only ones, it seems many people there for more than 2 nights were required to move rooms. Both suites were fine and as outlined in marketing material so no real surprises. The included breakfast was definitely more than was promised being both delicious and substantial. The service for the most part was again what was promised, great (arrival snack was very nice) although sometimes inconsistent were you would not expect it.
That;s were the downsides come in. I had left a message to speak with the Manager, Peggy which was never returned and after questioning, we never got an answer as to why. We did have to ask for pool towels on a daily basis for five days but again delivered with apologies. The bar was literally five steps from the patio of one of our suites. We ordered at the bar and were going to sit down but the barman said he would bring them over to the patio which we thought was lovely. He did but then charged us room service fees! Also after the large breakfasts, both my husband and I just wanted something light for lunch, a piece of fruit or a bun which we got at the local market to enjoy quickly in our room before venturing out again. You would think we were bringing in a nuclear device with disapproving looks and talk. Apparently, there is a no outside food or drink policy at the hotel which includes water. We didn't know and frankly, ignored this after their reactions to our initial ignorance.
On that note, there is a lovely little market very close to the hotel, an amazing bakery in town, and great little tavernas nearby as well. Caution though, only drink the house white wines which are local and quite good, The house or local reds are less palatable.
All that being said, we would return but would not move suites once were there and although the staff was attentive, messages or valid reasons why not should always be returned to paying guests if your are wanting to be of a small luxury hotel caliber and charge the rates that you do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An intimate complex of 14 Luxury Suites, built on the highest point of the Santorini’s Caldera cliffs, at Imerovigli, facing the Volcano and the famous Skaros Fortress. Suites have traditional Cycladic architecture with modern touch and luxurious design with lavish details. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Splendia, Despegar.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Gold Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Andromeda Gold Hotel Imerovigli
- Gold Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece