“Lovely rooms, quiet location” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Ampelonas Studios & Maisonettes
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Imerovigli 84700, Greece   |
Athens Greece & CA, USA
“Lovely rooms, quiet location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Rooms were large, very nicely appointed. We were 3 couples, our rooms were side by side on the ground floor, with a sea view (not caldera). We had the large garden/patio area outside our rooms all to ourselves, with multiple tables etc. We enjoyed our breakfasts here, with the lovely, serene sea view. (It was a bit too windy for the upper terrace or pool areas, with the more spectacular caldera views, for breakfast.) Georgia was extremely helpful & gracious, both before our arrival (providing info, booking car rentals for us, etc), & during our stay. Breakfasts were basic but good, & Georgia even accommodated a special request for our second breakfast. We have stayed in Santorini before & while were were not unhappy with previous accommodations, we would absolutely choose Ampelonas for future visits. As we were driving our rental cars from the port (so were not met by the hotel), we did have a little difficulty finding it at first . . . but this is not unusual in my experience, when there are no actual addresses!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms of course get the morning sun, caldera view the sunset. We were very happy with sea...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
east yorks england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here July 2012 for 2 nights. We arrived from the ferry, Chris the guy who works there answered my email in good time and he arranged transport from the harbour to the apartments which was very reasonable, and reliable considering the chaos after getting off the ferry in high season and the sheer number of people crowding around looking for transport.
When we arrived Chris had a caldera view room free and he gave us that one although I hadn't paid for this type of room. I must say he is one of the nicest Greeks I've met, a real gentleman, he was so kind and helpful, he makes the breakfast and serves it at the room ,when you are ready. There was coffee, juice, toastie, yogurt and honey, cake and fruit, more than enough.
The room was on the ground floor, one room with a small kitchen area, a table and chairs and a double bed which was really comfortable. Also the shower was good. On the whole the room was really nicely presented, my only fault would be that there was no kettle to make my own coffee, there was a small fridge too .
The small pool at the apartments was a bonus, so many in this area don't have them.
Gotta great nights sleep because the rooms are not on road,they are on a path that leads to fantastic views, and more or less on the end of imerovigli at the highest spot.
Our room was so cute, we had our own little gate to get in onto our patio seating area outside the apartment.
The nights were spent drinking ouzo watching the sunsets from outside our room which were absolutely amazing we had the full Santorini sunset experience with the full caldera view truly unforgettable.
There are eating places within walking distance and a small shop to buy beer ect, we went slightly inland to eat because we didn't need to go to a overpriced caldera view restaurant because we had the view at the room.
Overall a great stay, friendly people and fantastic sunsets. They are not directly on the edge of the cliff but as near as possible with only hotel in front which is lower down and does not impair the view, but it is probably twice as expensive.
At the end of the 2 night stay my only regret was not staying for longer ...
Regards Chris , we are the couple that had the air tickets dropped off to fly to Crete because the ferries were full.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at Ampolonas with three of my friends. We were welcomed by a beautiful Greek woman named Georgia who made us feel right at home! The view from our two story appartment was amazing! We had a 360 degree view from our roof top balcony. The breakfast was served at a time suited to us and it was delicious with a variety of goods!! Santorini is a beautiful place and I would definitely recommend staying at Ampolonas.

• Stayed September 2012
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I simply loved my stay here,the owner and Chris were very kind and friendly,they gave me tomatoes from them garden to eat in the morning which was delicious,and one afternoon while they was preparing the barbecue for themself they bring me in the room some meat and traditional sausage.We arrived early in the morning and left the hotel at 9.30 PM and they didn't charge us for early/late check-in.The taxi untill Fira center it was only 5 euros ,but we had also 2 nice restaurants-taverna near by,and many stores and minimarkets.The view from the terrace was awesome,in the night was windy and cold,but the atmosphere was so nice.
I will come back with pleasure,I highly recommend this place and also Estia taverna where we eat very very good and genuine and the price was perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Imerovigli, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This place is clearly underrated. We arrived late, were greeted in a very friendly way and were taken up the stairs to our nice appartment. Next morning we were stunned - 360 degree views over Santorini, including the famous Caldera. Wow .... We have seen a lot, but this has got to be one of the best. The pool is nice and clean. Not necessesarily luxurious but great never the less. Will be back !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Away from the chaos of either Oia or Fiera, this gem is within a short walking distance to the bus and several markets. And after having left the hectic pace of Athens, Ampelonas was exactly was we needed.

What impressed me the most is the wonderful attentiveness shown to us by the owners and Chris - who greets you, helps you in anyway and makes and delivers your breakfast.

The balcony offers the same view of the sunset as Oia does. The winds are cooling -- we were there in July and the temps were high all through the Pelopenese and Santorini. But on this side of the 'mountains', it was quite cool because of the winds.

I had the day bed as there were 5 of us - it was very comfortable. Two of my friends had the netted bed and they also slept well.

One last story - we had to meet our transportation to the airport at 5:30 a.m. Maria, the owner, was there to wish us well and greeted each of us. She had already been cleaning the common areas.

All 5 of us agreed that we had found the best place on the island.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have booked this apartment on the basis of the description given by the owner as "self catering" meaning that one can cook their own meals should the need arise.we are due to fly out in a week's time! I am extremely nervous of going. First the owner wanted a me to send him my credit card details even though completed the booking through Booking.com.
And secondly he informs me that there are no facilities to make a hot meal..not even a microwave?
The accomodation looks very basic and I suppose the price is due to the location.However the accomodation looks very basic. If i end up staying here i will be posting a full description of apartments with facilities...if you are bookingon the basis of "self catering " then do not book these apartments.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ampelonas Studios & Maisonettes? Share your experiences!