“Can't say much about the food, but I liked the dog” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brasserie
Good for: Outdoor seating
Good for: Outdoor seating
Seattle, Washington
“Can't say much about the food, but I liked the dog”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Sorry fred200099; I'm going to have to totally disagree with you about the food here. And, to those reading this review, I was at the restaurant with this other reviewer, though if you read that reviewer's take on the food, it sure seems as if we were not dining at the same place.

This is a small restaurant in the village of St-Saturnin-les-Apt. After a long day of travel, we just wanted to find a decent and easy meal, so we chose Le Restanque. We were seated at a nice outdoor table, and I will agree that the server seemed very congenial and helpful.

The food however, was another story. Most of our party ordered the pizza, and it was one of the worst pizzas I have ever had, and I've eaten plenty. My pizza was just a plain cheese. The crust was pale and rubbery, and obviously had not been cooked enough; even the cheese was not totally melted on the top. This restaurant does not seem to have a pizza oven. And, I understand I was in Provence, but the garlic was overwhelming!

The pizzas are quite large, and one is plenty to split between two people. I tried one piece and gave up; it was that bad. I fed a couple pieces to the resident dog that hangs out at the restaurant. He seemed to love it, so at least someone besides fred200099 was happy with the meal.

The company, wine and setting were extremely pleasant, so all was not lost, but I really cannot recommend this restaurant. I would never eat here again, and advise that you also take a pass.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
frederick, maryland
“Un restaurant tres agreable, meme pour les tourists etranger!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We wanted a modest dinner and found this very friendly and agreeable restaurant in the middle of St-Saturnin-les-Apt, just a few kilometers straight north from Apt (up the hill to the town center, with a convenient parking lot next door). As the previous review indicates, the husband cooks and the wife manages the customers and the service. She is a hoot! We felt very welcome and she guided us to sensible menu choices (e.g., are you SURE you want a special order of andouillette on your pizza - this really is tripe...!). I had the "chef's special" pizza which indicated that it depended on the mood of the chef - we asked if he was in a good mood today and the report back from the kitchen indicated that he was and this should be a good choice - it was excellent (thin crust oven pizza with tomatoes, olives, oregano-like spices, garlic - of course, and good cheese). Of course, if you want American pizza, you should not come to Provence to find it; here, you come here for a provencale taste treat and that is what we found. Another person in our group had the chef's salad, which was huge but also delicious, with some meats and a wide assortment of good things. It was large enough to consider splitting between two people. We had a good Rose wine from the region. On Thursday, there is a chef's special and it sounds like there have been some fun offerings in previous menus such as couscous. This was a popular place and I recommend it if you are not looking for an elaborate meal.

• Visited July 2012