Hotel Cristal Ballena is an oasis of tropical elegance in the beauty of Uvita in Costa Rica's South Pacific. The hotel is just 10 minutes from the Ballena Marine National Park, and 20 minutes from the surf town of Dominical. With the new highway, it is a quick scenic 3.5 hour drive from San Jose, and only 1 hour south of Manuel Antonio.
Junior Suites and Master Suites are spacious, comfortable and clean, with spectacular views from this hilltop hotel out over lush forest to the coast and sparkling blue sea. Junior Suites have 2 queen beds, a lounge area with chairs and a loveseat, desk, minibar area, closet, security safe, cable TV, a/c, ceiling fan, large bath, and an ample terrace or balcony. Master Suites have all of the above but are even more spacious with the best views of all! Rooms are situated in an elegant 3-story building. The only downside is if you are on the bottom floor and you have "galloping" children above you; luckily children go to sleep early! Try to get a top floor room if you can.
The breakfast buffet is massive and greatly varied! You'll eat like a king here! The restaurant serves up delicious, creative lunches and dinners with nightly specials. Reasonably priced.
We didn't use the pool, but loved its ocean-like expansiveness next to the restaurant. You can spot birds and other wildlife right from the restaurant terrace!
We spent the weekend at Cristal Ballena to take advantage of humpback whale migrating season (August & September). We went on a fantastic whale watching tour with Bahia Ballena Tours at Playa Uvita -- I highly recommend them, especially the guide Marco Monge who is exceedingly knowledgeable about whales, dolphins and natural history of the national park.
Cristal Ballena's owners are hands-on and you can tell the hotel has a personal touch. Owner Waldemar Steiner made the rounds to greet guests at dinner on one of the nights we were there. Such a pleasure to meet our charming host!
I would go back to Cristal Ballena in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Resort Cristal Ballena is located in the midst of its own 12-hectare grounds, very close to the unique "Marino Ballena" Marine National Park and mountains covered in rainforest. The hotel features 14 Junior Suites, 3 Master Suites, along with 2 Family suites. Due to its excellent location, our guests can enjoy breathtaking ocean views from the big balcony. Our stylish, spacious Suites are equipped with four-poster bed, AC, ceiling fan, WLan, TV, telephone, minibar, safe, coffee maker and hairdryer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Cristal Ballena Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Cristal Ballena Osa Peninsula
- Hotel Cristal Ballena Resort Costa Rica/Uvita