“Truly Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Baltimore, Maryland
“Truly Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Rancho Pacifico is truly amazing. We stayed there the first week of June on our first trip to Costa Rica. Everything about RP is wonderful, especially the service. Every member of the staff we met was friendly, authentic and professional. Our meals were delicious and perfectly prepared. We stayed in the TreeHaus Villa and it was even more beautiful in person than in the photos. We sat on the deck with a stunning view of the ocean, listening to the sounds of the forest and could have stayed there forever. One reviewer referred to their time at RP as “flawless” and we agree. I cant’ imagine finding a more beautiful and welcoming place anywhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Every detail at Rancho Pacifico is perfect. The rooms are inviting, ideal and comfortable. The grounds are stunning, perfectly maintained and delightful. The food is delicious, healthy and fabulously presented. The staff is kind, fun and out-of-this-world friendly! For those seeking a flawless vacation, either quiet and relaxed or full of activities, this is it. The staff will ensure whatever you desire will be.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Rancho Pacifico for 7 nights on our vacation to Costa Rica at the end of March, 2014. We were looking for a place that would provide privacy, peace and relaxation and Rancho Pacifico delivered that and so much more. The staff were incredibly friendly, welcoming and caring in a genuine way. The spa was wonderful and rejuvenating. The food prepared by Chef Alex and his staff was in every way amazing and delicious. My experience at this hotel was one of the very best, and most unique I have ever had.

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We spent two nights in mid april 2014. Our stay was great. It was like a true honeymoon style getaway. The views from the hotel are awesome, the serivce from each and every staff member was very good yet authentic at the same time. The only constructive feedback I would give to the hotel ismabout the terrace room that is closeby the pool in the first floor. I believe that room in particular is just too close to the crowd. This was somehow uncomfortable considering that we came with the idea of having a room with no noice but nature. Fortunatelly we asked for a room change and they gave us the balcony room in the second floor which was great.

Room Tip: Do not pick the terrace room in te first floor close to the pool. It is just too noisy and you dont...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 4 days/3 nights at the end of a longer vacation in Costa Rica. We hoped for an experience which would allow us to truly relax before we headed home to our normal lives, and we were not disappointed. First, the location is beautiful with wonderful views to the coast from the common areas and at least some of the guest rooms, including the Treehouses. The grounds are beautifully kept, as are all of the buildings and rooms. We stayed in one of the Treehouses. As another reviewer has noted, at least 1/3 of the walls are screens, meaning that the temperature is dictated by the weather. Despite how hot it was down on the coast, it was always very comfortable up at Rancho Pacifico. There are ceiling fans that were more than enough to provide circulating air and a comfortable nights sleep, we did not miss AC at all. The screens do mean that you will be surrounded by the noises of the environment at all times, though ear plus are provided for those who do not relish hearing the birds, insects and howler monkeys. We loved waking up with the forest each day, and sitting on our porch sipping coffee. At least another 1/3 of the walls are glass affording you sweeping views and making you feel embedded in the hillside. (The opaque walls are strategically placed to offer privacy.) The personal service and attention to detail began from the moment our taxi dropped us off, when Johan met us with cool refreshing towels and continued to our last hug goodbye. The staff makes it a point to get to know you, creating a very personal experience such that by the time your visit ends, you feel like you are leaving friends behind. That said, you are always are afforded plenty of space to have as quiet a day as you desire. You probably won't encounter the cleaning staff, as they go to work when you are out of the room, but if you did (as we did), you would see how much effort and care they put into every last detail of remaking your room each day. The food and drinks are consistently top quality, with wonderful and often sophisticated flavor combinations. We did one of the activities that the hotel can arrange (Nat'l Geographic Tour) and we would definitely recommend it. We saw tons of animals and our guide was fantastic. On the other full day, we hiked through the property, relaxed in the semi-private infinity pool, and ended our day with wonderful spa treatments as the sun set and howler monkeys took up their afternoon cries. Perfect. I would absolutely recommend this to adults looking for a luxury destination, and as for us, we are looking forward to visiting again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited Rancho Pacifico from 3/21/14 - 3/26/14 and we have had the most amazing experience. The hotel is the perfect mix of adventure and complete relaxation. It is a very small luxury hotel (holds 22 people max), but that only means that you get much more attention from their world class staff. It's true what everyone says about their staff, they are like a family and they treat all of their guests like family. The second we got there, each of them introduced themselves and made it a point to know my girlfriend and I by name. After a day, we knew everyone by name as well. If you hang out at poolside, the bartender makes it a point to ask you what you'd like to drink the second you sit down. Sometimes it's as if they read your mind and bring you what you want without even having to ask.

The two great things that stood out were that everyone is so trusting that there are no keys for the rooms and that there are no bills until the end of your stay. You don't even have to worry about tipping until the end. The staff puts your bills on a tab that you can check at any time and you pay it all at once as you check out. I was a little skeptical about having no keys for rooms, but you soon learn that you completely trust everyone there.

The hotel is in the middle of the rainforest, so every morning around 5am, you hear all of the wildlife waking up as the sun rises. It is a little scary at first, but then you learn to appreciate it.

The drive to Rancho Pacifico is pretty easy from the San Jose airport, but once you turn off of the main highway and onto the dirt road that leads to RP, it can get pretty intense. Make sure you have 4 Wheel Drive car and that it is in LOW GEAR as you drive up the long steep hills. That drive is an adventure in itself and the views are breath taking. The dirt road is the kind of road you see in car commercials when they're bragging about what kind of roads their vehicle can drive on. Once you get to RP, you are welcomed into the loving arms of their staff.

They have such a happy and laid back attitude about everything, which made accommodations for the side trips that much easier. There are all sorts of things to do within a 5 to 20 mile radius, like zip lining, beaches, snorkeling, hiking and rainforest tours. The concierge's attention to detail makes everything effortless. Every time we went anywhere, they gave us everything we needed such as maps, towels, water, etc. We went on a Mangrove tour and saw monkeys, cayman, snakes, bats, owls and other exotic birds in the wild.

The food and service is excellent as well. The food and drinks are always flowing. All breakfasts are complimentary and they give you so many options. We were always satisfied at dinner as they gave such generous portions and multiple courses. Their seafood was amazing. If you don't feel like eating in their dining area, then they set up a dinner table in your room.

The spa is so relaxing and quiet and the views are breathtaking. My gf got the chocolate body wrap and she loved it. After your spa treatment is over, you shower outside as you look over the rainforest. It's a one of kind experience and great for couples.

We stayed in the two bedroom villa and it was gorgeous. Each bathroom had two sinks and an open shower with two shower heads. Very romantic.

We will definitely be coming back in the near future.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Where to even start? My wife and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon (luna de miel) in September 2013. We stayed for 5 nights in the Arenal area at Nayara (see my other review for this incredible property) and then planned 5 nights at Oxygen Jungle Villas in Uvita. On our third day in Uvita we decided to drive further up the mountain to see if we could find Rancho Pacifico. We were actually considered RP for our whole 10 day honeymoon but ended up changing plans and going with Nayara and Oxygen......anyway, we drove up to RP one afternoon and walked into the reception/restaurant area. A pleasant woman came and greeted us and we made a bit of small talk. I decided I'd like to take my wife here for dinner later in the evening so I asked the woman if we could make a 7pm dinner reservation. She said sure and we went on our way.

We returned just before 7pm and there was a man waiting for us as we pulled up. He escorted us to the restaurant. This is a large outdoor restaurant set up with a few levels, each just a few steps up or down from the next. I could see all the way in the far corner one table set for dinner with candles. They literally set the place up just for us. NO ONE else on the whole property.

We had several courses of fine cuisine. We had tuna ceviche to start, I had pork for dinner. Nice desert and we washed it all down with a nice bottle of wine. Towards the end of the dinner I asked the waiter if he would call the manager and ask if we could have a room for the night, that we were staying just down the hill at Oxygen but figured we'd see if we could stay a night (surprise for my new wifey). He returned a few minutes later and handed me a phone. It was the owner of the resort asking my how I like dinner and if I minded waiting 45 minutes or so for a room. I told him the wait was fine and he asked which room I was interested in staying in. I told him the luxury spa suite and he said ok. We waited at the bar where a really cool bartender made us a complimentary cocktail. When we were finishing the drinks, the waiter came back and handed me the phone again. This time the owner told me he had upgraded us to the Treehouse Villa at no extra charge and it would be ready shortly.

When our room was ready we walked over the bridge to the room escorted by a few staff members. They showed us the room and left us to relax. The room was HUGE. Large seating area then the bed area then a big open bathroom (which is kind of oddly open to the room, shower and toilet pretty much in the same room as the bedroom obscured by a partial wall but no doors). Outside was a long deck and a hot tub and some chairs. this place is perched up on the side of the mountain with a serious drop off that deck.

The room was screened in with ceiling fans but no AC. It was fine at night but I think I'd be really hot an uncomfortable if I stayed there for a week and had no AC to escape the jungle humidity.

We were awoken in the middle of the night by howler monkeys just going crazy right outside our windows. They were so loud. It was pitch black, in the middle of the jungle...really weird/haunting experience but so cool. We thought they were going come crashing through our windows and go all planet of the apes on us but they were cool.

We had a great breakfast the next morning at the same table as out dinner the night before. Huge clear view to the Pacific below.

When we left to return to Oxygen right after breakfast the staff almost seemed sad to see us go. They told us we should stay all day and use their pools but we had a whale watch booked so had to run.

I can see why famous people come here. It's so incredibly tranquil and the nature is undisturbed and beautiful. I'd love to go back for a night or two. I really wish they had AC, and while I totally understand why they don't (eco etc) I'm a person who generally really runs hot and has a hard time in humidity.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there's a bad room in the place. All private. Just pick one in your budget.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uvita
Kura Design Villas Uvita
La Cusinga Eco Lodge
#5 of 12 in Uvita
5.0 of 5 stars 400 reviews
Hotel Cristal Ballena Resort

Been to Rancho Pacifico? Share your experiences!