“Tree house heaven....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Uvita
Orlando, Florida
“Tree house heaven....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 6 day stay at Rancho Pacifico and it was pure heaven. Once we recovered from the harrowing drive up the mountain (yes, 4x4 is a MUST), all our troubles melted away with our first view of the coast and friendly smile from Alex and Adriana.
We were generously upgraded to the Villa Romantica on the first 2 nights (huge and stunning) and then moved to a Tree-house for the remainder of the trip. Although the Tree-house wasn't as large, we thoroughly enjoyed the views, open air shower and back patio hot tub (overlooking the jungle hillside). The accommodations, cuisine, staff, privacy, waterfall hike, spa and grounds all exceeded our expectations. We loved the early morning sounds of the howler monkeys each morning and the many bird sightings on property (toucans, green parrots, hummingbirds, owl, finches, just to name a few). So if you are ready to be "off the grid" on a stunning mountainside haven, and treated like royalty, this is the place.

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Costa Rica and absolutely loved this resort. We picked this resort because it had all the criteria that everyone in our party required on a vacation, internet, jungle/beach, eco-friendly, and relaxation. This list was very hard and we thought that it would be nearly impossible to meet everyone's requirements. The resort was absolutely wonderful. The food was excellent; Chef Alex was wonderful at accommodating food allergies and we always looked forward to the wonderful food he prepared each day. The staff was welcoming and friendly. They learned our names from our first meeting and made us feel so welcome in their country. The spa was amazing. The best feature is that they do not have to replicate the relaxing environment that the spas in the US have to. They don't have to play relaxing music because the natural environment of the jungle provides it. On two days, the exact time we were receiving our spa treatments, it began to rain, which was so relaxing. The recommended local activities were also so much fun. The staff quickly paid attention to our party and took note of our likes and dislikes and made great recommendations of activities. It was so nice to have that personal attention. I highly recommend not only traveling to Costa Rica, but also staying at Rancho Pacifico. It was an amazing experience that I know our family will never forget.
The only category that I rated below 5 was sleep quality. This rating has nothing to do with the rooms or bed, they were amazing. The resort is located in the jungle and there is wildlife (particularly monkeys) that make noise in the morning. It is early, but doesn't last very long. It was still worth it to stay in the jungle.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 3 bedroom villa. It is a small hike up a road from the main section of the resort...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

In May 2013 my husband and I stayws at Rancho Pacifico for the second time in 11 months! This is the best find ever. A very unique property with the best and friendliest staff. The cuisine is wonderful - lots of fresh seafood and local fruit beautifully presented. Breakfasts include "typical" Costa Rican food. Loved the tamale wrapped in banana leaves. The cocktails are exquisite with unique fruit combinations, and the frozen blender coffee drinks by the pool in the afternoon were to die for. Even the spa gets in on the act with each treatment beginning with a sweet treat and tea. A lovely touch. Chef Alex runs a first class resort!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and special. I stayed in a treehaus with is like staying in a 5 star tree h...
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I loved our time here. The location was the perfect spot for a relaxing vacation. The food here is world class. They do a different tasting menu each night! If you are considering booking a vacation here, do it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was hard to come home and fall asleep withouth the music of the surrounding jungle and all of it's inhabitants! Never thought my husband would be able to sleep without AC or not watch a tv for 5 days but here anything is possible.
Can't say enough about the amazing people who make you feel as though you are a relative or friend visiting you in their home. Rooms are cleaned daily and fresh water added to your fridge as well as a lovely turn down service in the evenings.
Food was amazing and I am a picky costumer to say the least. From the fresh squeezed juice combinations in the a.m. to the innovative and delicious dinners in the evening, I was pleasantly surprised with the attention to detail and taste. The dinners are very affordable as well. I came away with some new and exciting drinks to try at home since I couldn't bring Vianney with me! We only stayed on the property one full day since we wanted to see and do a lot the area has to offer. I would tell people to rent a car so they wouldn't be limited with how often and where they wanted to go. RP does provide this service but we enjoyed being a little more independent with our time.
We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and truly felt as though we came away with a renewed sense of peace and tranquility after staying at Rancho Pacifico. I would encourage people heading to CR to brush up on some important Spanish phrases that might've been useful for my husband and I to know. Everyone there has some knowledge of the English language so that wasn't a problem but once we left the property we felt a bit silly trying to communicate with others!
It was the rainy season so it did rain, pretty much every day, but it encouraged us to slow down and take a nap or just sit and watch the fog from our room as we sipped on a yummy rum drink!
We didn't take advantage of the spa because that's not really our thing but I heard nothing but positive things about their spa services as well.
Do yourselves a favor and check this place out...you will leave a better person, couple, mom/dad, friend, worker, etc.

Room Tip: We had one of the smaller rooms and we did hear our neighbors but it wasn't an issue since most...
Fergus, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Rancho Pacifico for our delayed honeymoon. We absolutely can't wait to have another chance to go back!

THE STAFF
We took the regional flight from Sansa air and were picked up at the airport by Eric, a driver that used to work for RP but is now more freelance. He was great, friendly and very accommodating - teaching us some Spanish in return for us helping him with his English.

Our first contact with the actual RP staff was just as awesome. Adriana greeted us and always made sure we felt like family - it may be cliched but RP really succeeds in making the resort feel like a home away from home. Chef Alex, Ana, Melvin and Vianney also made sure our stay was amazing.

The time that RP staff really shone was after our sea kayaking trip which resulted in both of us (wussy Canadians) getting sunstroke and myself getting second degree sunburn on my legs. Everyone was so helpful from cutting fresh aloe Vera for my legs to bringing a constant supply of ginger ale for us while we recovered. Alex even brought us Advil from town after going from store to store to find exactly what we needed to bring down the swelling. Garrison, the owner, even made sure to call and make sure we were feeling better.

THE RESORT
We stayed at the one bedroom villa romantica. The room, the view and everything down to the bathroom house geckos was incredible. I am a finicky sleeper and the bed was amazing. Waking up to the sound of howler monkeys and toucans every morning is an uparalleled experience.

We got the spa package along with our stay and let me tell you it was absolutely worth it. Gloria and Marco at the spa are amazing (I am going to run out of adjectives!) the disadvantage would be that the Spa Tranquila has ruined other spas for us. We will never be able to match the skill of hot stone massage or the ambiance. The spa is open air and the soundtrack is completely natural - and unmatched by any artificial sound system any other spa could provide!

THE DINING EXPERIENCE
I have a severe dairy allergy and I frequently find it difficult to find restaurants to eat at - another winkle that any other resort could have direly fallen short. No fear - RP excelled on this front! The food is INCREDIBLE. Within the first day or so, nearly every staff member knew about my allergy and were extremely accomodating.

The atmosphere at breakfast is beautiful and relaxed. The menu has something for everyone. The dinner experience was completely new to us and we loved it! Dinner starts at around 7 with drinks where you can socialize with the other vacationers and the fantastic staff. Once dinner is ready, you filter into the dinning room. Every night has a different theme and we did not have a single night where we didnt like the food. Everything was fresh, flavorful and had a unique twist to it. My husband is still craving their Costa Rican celebration tamale... I should have asked for a cooking lesson!

THE ACTIVITIES
One of the best thing about RP is even if heaven forbid you wind up getting sunstroke, hanging out around the resort is just as interesting, relaxing and stimulating as the typical activities. There is wildlife all around the resort. But if day trip and adventure activities are more your thing, RP will help you book whatever tickles your fancy.

We wound up doing three activities: the Mangrove Tour, sea kayaking and a short hike to the waterfall on property. The mangrove tour was AMAZING. The guide was exceptionally knowledgeable and we saw every type of wildlife imaginable. As an animal biologist, I was in heaven! Sea kayaking was also very fun! Our guide Victor was entertaining and knowledgeable. We would clearly recommend WATERPROOF sunscreen should you partake. The short hike to the waterfall was fabulous. It is challenging to almost all levels of hikers and has spectacular views. You may even run into a monkey or two.

Overall, RP met and exceeded our expectations. The staff, locations, food, spa and activities are all incredible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Missouri City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We recently spent a week here and didn't want to come home. After reading so many reviews, we didn't know what to expect when we arrived. I must admit, after the long ride up the mountain to the hotel, we were blown away. The view was AMAZING! Uvita is a small town that has a lot to offer. The excursions that were available we awesome! We recommend the ATV tour, zip lining and the waterfall horseback tour. The taxi and shuttle prices are pretty expensive, but if you find a couple that is going to the same excursion, you get to split the cost. However, I would consider renting a car you last couple of days. The staff is very friendly and call you by your first name at this secluded private resort. The food is to die for...5 star meals! Please take advantage of the meal and spa packages...WELL WORTH IT! If you're looking for a romantice couples get-a-way, this is the place to be.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho Pacifico? Share your experiences!