“Don't go in the rainy season !” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay four - pay three
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Nerja, Spain
“Don't go in the rainy season !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Kura was to be the highlight of our 3 week holiday, and I see that it has just been voted 6th out of central American hotels, and for its style, situation and staff, it richly deserves this, but, it rained almost constantly while we were there, obliterating the view for which it is justly famous. It also rendered the approach road difficult even with a ( rather gutless!) 4 x 4 , and so we felt pretty much imprisoned in the hotel. Since it is such a small, boutique hotel with only 5 magnificent suites there really isn't a lot to do when the weather isn't favourable. I Agree that the food wasn't up to the standard you'd expect, my husband ordered sushi every night because he didn't fancy anything else on the menu ( and the sushi was good !)
I can see that Kura would be the perfect place for a honeymoon, or for an overworked executive to unwind, but for us it was just a bit of a disappointment, and too expensive for what it had to offer.

I think it woulod be the perfect ho

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Delightful in every sense. Absolutely breathtaking views, spectacular service, this place manages to be uniquely comforting and comfortable. We just left and I wanted to write this while it is still fresh in my mind. We have never been any place as marvelous as Kura before. I saw the photos and it registered that the place was gorgeous, but upon arrival I simply could not believe just how gorgeous it was. The views, the design, the people. It is truly the perfect storm of greatness. I couldn't stop laughing, because every place I went was more unbelievable than the last. We had a jr suite (I believe suite 6) and I couldn't have asked for a better room- the only thing I may have preferred is one with a direct sunset view as it was off to the right a bit. But as it was we had a perfect view of the whale tail and were usually up at the pool for sunset anyway. The rooms are designed so smartly and perfectly for couples. We did a guest poll over drinks and everyone was decidedly impressed by room design in both intelligence as well as comfort. There are a few 'surprises' in there that had us all laughing at dinner. I'll leave those a secret because I would hate to spoil your fun!
The fact that there are only 6 villas and max 12 guests is really amazing in a way I couldn't have understood before experiencing it. It's so very quiet (aside from the jungle coming to life) and intimate. You can really get to know the people you are there with if you choose. We had 4 couples that were fairly chatty and one rather private and we all got along quite well.
The spa I heard is unreal, unfortunately I waited too long to book and it was full so make note if you want a service to inquire the day you arrive. The collagen facial was raved about by two separate women and I'm sad to have missed out. There are plenty of tours and sightseeing type activities available, and they can book them all for you which means more relaxing time for you. We went snorkeling at the whale tail (the beach is beautiful) and rappelling over some waterfalls (very fun but not for people with any kind of back or other injuries, or people that don't like jumping off of things normal people would most definitely not jump off). They also have access to a private beach where they will take you and set up chairs and a cooler!
Which brings me to the road.
The road is a situation. A serious one. Do not attempt it for the first time at night, and do not attempt it if you don't have a 4 wheel drive. In fact I would say don't attempt it at all if you don't have to. Just park at the bottom of the hill and have them come get you. Or better yet have them pick you up at the airport! If you really must just beware that there are a few climbing curves and the road toward the top is very thin and it would be a real pickle if you run into another vehicle there is not really a place to pass and one of you will have to reverse. Follow the signs to oxygen villas and Kura signs are just the symbol, you can't really see the name and I didn't really see them at all until after the oxygen villas. Once you pass O2 villas you will go up up up- then the road will start going down again. You will feel lost, hopeless and scared... But you are on the right track. Just keep going you're kind of almost there! Unless you love white knuckling, praying to the patron saint of tires, and stress sweating leave that bit to the pros. Just like everything else at Kura- they do it best!
In all seriousness I just can't get over what a great time we had. The food was delicious, especially the fruit and veggies! The drinks were awesome and unique to the local area. And the owners Martin and Alejandra were there and so full of life and so friendly. Always there for your questions, for a story, for anything you needed. I am so glad that they made this place and work so hard to keep the sprit of Kura alive. We have already been talking about when we will come back. If you have a choice, choose Kura. You will not be sorry.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Can't recommend this hotel enough. The view down from the hotel to Uvita beach is stunning, lush forests to look at with kites flying by and butterflies and hummingbirds flitting before your eyes. My friend Val had a cold and the staff without being asked made her a broth and supplied her with herbal teas all day. She was very well looked after I must say. They have a private beach too which we had to ourselves. Pure paradise.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There are just some times when words or pictures don't do justice, and Kura is one of those places. It is absolute perfection! There really isn't any other hotel I could compare it too, and I have traveled a lot. I highly recommend and would definitely go back for round two. The vibe is very intimate yet comfortable, and the spa is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Take time for a massage and a soak in the tub. The architect / designer thought of every detail, as the rooms and views are beyond expectation. I also must say the mixed drinks from the bar were the best I had in all of Costa Rica, particularly the welcome "Jaguar" cocktail. The food was also fantastic. Perhaps the only advice I have that may differ from other reviews… be adventurous and take the drive! It was awesome and definitely doable in a good 4x4. You just need to throw it low gear sometimes.

Room Tip: We had the villa directly underneath the infinity pool - loved it!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Cayuga S, Manager at Kura Design Villas Uvita, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Hautehostess,
greetings from sunny Kura in Uvita. Thank you for your review. We hear the word "perfection" a lot in guest's reviews. It is a scary word as we know that the word we do is far from perfect. There are always things that we can improve and do better. But we are very proud to hear that you had such a great vacation experience and as a worldly traveler would consider coming back for another visit. We will have your Jaguar cocktail ready for you. We appreciate your positive feedback on the rooms, the food and the service. In terms of the recommendation to drive or not to drive to Kura, it really depends on your experience with driving off road. Best to just check in with us during the reservations process and we will help you to get to Kura safely. See you soon. Pura vida.
West Lafayette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed 7 nights and we loved every moment. The staff by the end of the week became a part of our family. We used the spa multiple times and I can honestly say that I have never experienced that much peace and serenity in my life. My only advice to anyone thinking about driving up the mountain to Kura would be DO NOT ATTEMPT. We thought since we rented a 4x4 we would have no problem; we were wrong. Simply save yourself the stress and call ahead and schedule a pick-up at their private lot at the bottom of the mountain.

Thank you Kura Design Villas for a trip of a lifetime! We hope to visit again very soon!

Happy New Year~ Trisha & Eric

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2014

We stayed at Kura for four nights in November 2014 as part of our honeymoon. It is undoubtedly a spectacular hotel that has to be seen to be believed - the pool is out of this world and our room (a junior villa) was stunning. But as well as its aesthetic credentials, Kura is also completely wonderful because of its staff and the service they provide. Everyone there is very warm and friendly and we felt so welcome and looked after during our entire stay. The attention to detail was second to none. The turn down service is something we will never forget!

The quality of the food at Kura must also be commended - everything was completely fresh and delicious.

I can not recommend Kura highly enough and sincerely hope we will have a chance to go back again someday.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

We visited Kura on a honeymoon trip to Costa Rica and could not have been more impressed. Everything from the owners, the architecture, the food, the staff, and the spa speaks to a once in a lifetime experience. The owners' passion is uniquely realized through a modern architectural marvel that utilizes space and openness in elegant ways while providing a magnificent view over the Pacific and surrounding mountains.

The food was regional and each meal was a highlight of our day! During our stay in Costa Rica, Kura was the one place that nailed the local cuisine. The ingredients were fresh and varied, loved the greenhouse herbs and veggies as well as the fresh catch of the day. Presentation of the meal was also impressive and portions were just right. The food left us feeling healthy and satisfied.

The architecture was truly amazing. From the spa, to the rooms, to the pool, you really have to see it to appreciate everything it adds to the overall experience. Waking up every morning and enjoying the sunrise to the sounds of the jungle was an amazing experience second only to lounging around the pool (the pictures do not do it justice).

The staff was very attentive and kind. They were extremely helpful and were always available.

I would whole heartedly recommend this location to anyone. Just be advised an optimal trip would involve the tours and activities available in the region to fill out your day. Luckily there are a ton of local things to do and experience.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Kura Design Villas Uvita? Share your experiences!