“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Uvita
Los Angeles, California
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here in December 2012 right after they first opened and already the hotel was perfection - everything was so incredibly thoughtful, warm, elegant, luxurious, and beautiful. The location of the hotel and the scenery alone are worth shelling out major bucks - but Martin and Alejandra paid attention to every detail while building this hotel. It shows as a real labor of love. The staff will do ANYTHING to make your stay comfortable--including staying out of your way if you want peace and quiet! Even the vultures soaring on the tops of the trees here are gorgeous and peaceful.

The spa is a glassbox on top of a mountain overlooking the ocean - it is a must see!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Just know that everything written about Kura in other reviews is true. The road is rough and steep but drivable in a 4X4. The rooms, pool, and views are absolutely incredible. The area provides plenty of activities, or you can spend time relaxing while taking in the views from your balcony or the pool. The food is very good, and the spa was divine. In fact, my wife tried most of the spa menu during the week we were there.

The difference, however, is the staff. They go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. They are all friendly and their attention to detail is beyond first-class. For example, the housekeepers took our dirty shoes off the balcony, cleaned them, and then placed them back in our closet. Additionally, we left very early the morning of our departure and failed to receive a gift that we didn't even know about. Since returning home, Adam has emailed me requesting our address so that he can mail us our gift. This is something that didn't have to be done; however, it shows how much they value their visitors and their willingness to go the extra mile to make the experience special.

I don't have enough superlatives to describe Kura and the staff. If you have an opportunity to go, do it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I don't even know where to begin...this was the best trip we have ever been on and we travel a lot and stay in five star hotels all the time and this was the best.

Before our trip, I had a ton of questions as this was our first trip to Costa Rica and the staff at Kura were so helpful and friendly. I immediately had the utmost confidence in their ability so when our flight was delayed from LAX and I knew that we would miss our connecting flight from San Jose to Quepos, I knew that by just sending an email notifying Kura of this change, that they would book us on the next flight - and of course they did.

We opted to have Kura pick us up from the airport vs. renting a 4x4 and were happy about that decision because the mountain up is very steep (but many other travelers had made it up with their rentals, so it is definitely doable-just very steep!!) As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by Ana and Alejandra and given the BEST cocktail (Jaguar Colada) and we sat down to absorb the most incredible view we have ever seen. Soon afterwards, we were shown to our room (Junior Suite) and we were just floored.

Before I write a novel, here is a breakdown so that I get to the point:

THE RESORT: As an interior designer, I took what seemed like hundreds of photos of the resort. Martin and Alejandra (owners - Martin being the architect) did an INCREDIBLE job. It was perfection. I loved the materials they used. There was a lot of concrete and teak and bamboo, making it very modern but very warm. They also used a lot of local tribal influences (such as the masks and the patterns on the throw pillows). The 'public' restrooms were breathtaking and has a glass wall and screen overlooking the jungle and the ocean).

The infinity salt water pool just blew us away. It was our favourite feature and I wish we could go there every weekend. It was breathtaking being about 1300 feet above sea level and looking at the ocean. To top it off, it had underwater speakers!!

There were plenty of lounging areas to read or to look through the telescope provided. And the bar was always fun to hang out at and play a game or enjoy their drinks (which were ALL great!)

It is a small hotel, so you end up seeing the other guests quite a bit as you can imagine. It was great because those that wanted to socialize did. We made quite a few friends on this vacation and it was a really nice thing for us.

THE ROOM: Our room was stunning. The views were incredible and we had a large enough balcony to have 2 comfy reading chairs and a hammock which was perfect for reading when the rain started in the afternoon. Our bed was SUPER comfy and we had the best sleep. We were in LOVE with the shower that was encased in glass with two rain heads overlooking the view (and had a glass door leading to the balcony).

There was also a stocked wine fridge in the room which was a great touch for us (since we love our wine) and our closet was hidden by curtains which I really liked. They also provided binoculars and flashlights which was such a great touch.

Also, although we never saw the housekeeper, a special mention to them because our room was cleaned twice a day (once in the morning and once for turndown) and it was impeccable. We never had to ask and it was always conveniently done when we were out of the room.

THE FOOD: INCREDIBLE, we had every meal there. I am also gluten intolerant and they were extremely on top of it (more than I was!)

Breakfast: The breakfast started with a fruit plate and every day it was a little different. My husband and I don't like pineapple but for some reason, it was the best at Kura! The breakfast potatoes were to die for, the Huevos Rancheros, the gluten free pancakes...AMAZING...you can't go wrong. They always remembered how I liked my coffee in the morning...and it was perfect every time. Oh and the fresh juices were amazing.

Lunch & Snacks: You can have anything from fresh fish, plantain chips and dip, to salads to sushi, it was all delicious.

Dinner: We LOVED the fish carpaccio for an appetizer (got it every night) and we LOVED the fresh fish of the day. They also had a special every night which was fun. But you can't beat the fresh fish...delicious! Oh and dessert...I had the gluten free flan which was my absolute favourite....so yum!

THE EXCURSIONS: We really wanted to relax and never leave the hotel so we didn't do much. But we did go to the animal sanctuary which was a little less than an hour away (and worth it). I have never been in contact with monkeys and when one of the monkeys jumped on my lap and just wanted to be pet, I fell in love!

We also did the Rancho La Merced for a horseback ride into the jungle to the waterfall and that was an incredible experience. I highly recommend it and they treat their horses very well :)

THE SPA: Ahhhh, the spa....I want to go back. I got a hot stone massage from Adriana and I was in heaven, I could have died right then and been SO happy! She let me choose the oils that she was going to use that she made and they were all just bliss.

She was so sweet, before the appointment, she came to get me at our room with an umbrella (because of the rain) and offered for my husband to enjoy the bathtub while I was getting a massage.

She then let us use the spa shower which was a much larger version of our shower with a huge glass wall and shower jets...it raining and it was SO incredibly beautiful!

I saved the best for last:

THE STAFF: Let me just say that I was very emotional when leaving because I loved everyone that worked at Kura that we met. I don't even have a favourite because everyone was different and unique. We just want them all to know how special they are and it was because of them that our trip was the best one we have had, so thank you to: Alejandra, Martin, Ana, Ana (yes there are two), Adriana, Adam, Kenneth and Lalo (i think i am butchering the spelling of his name) and Isidro. THANK YOU from both of us :) and thank you to the staff that we never met but made our stay perfect (the chef's, housekeeping etc).

I could go on and on but this review is long enough!!

Don't hesitate to book!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suite and there was no need for an upgrade...it was perfection!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Cayuga S, Manager at Kura Design Villas Uvita, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Kathmamood,
thank you for taking the time to write this incredible review. Just like you named it "Just Perfection", we think it is the "perfect review" and should be read by everybody thinking of coming to Kura. We have nothing to add other than THANK YOU. Please come back soon. The team at Kura.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

It's very difficult to make even constructive criticism of this place. Just don't go there and ruin it for those that want a bit of luxurious peace and quiet off the beaten track !
In it's favour it's so hard to find by car or should I say 4x4 that quite a few registered guests may not make it there at all.
Embarrassing to say that this is The Fountainhead come to life and as a first build , designer and owner Martin , has done a stellar job. I still don't really believe the story.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Kura May 1-6 this year for our honeymoon and it was nothing short of exceptional. We were there the first week of the rainy season in Costa Rica and we had relatively good weather, although it rained every day, it was only for short periods and it didn't ruin any of the activities we had planned. The photos definitely don't do Kura justice, the views truly take your breath away, and the rooms are incredible as well. We stayed in the Infinity Villa and we'd definitely choose that room again. (the shower alone is worth the trip).

The staff treated us like family and took care of our every need. One of our excursions was to Corcovado National Park, which was a long boat ride away (1.5 hours each way!) and we would definitely recommend for anyone interested in seeing the rainforest. It rained almost the entire time we were in the forest, and when we returned to Kura, we had all of our wet clothes (and super muddy shoes) outside to dry. The next day we returned to our room to find our clothes cleaned and folded on our bed and they had also fully cleaned our running shoes (they looked brand new), which was such a sweet touch, without us even asking!

The food was excellent, we loved everything on their menu, especially the salads, which they used ingredients that they grow themselves in a greenhouse behind the resort. And those jaguar coladas...amazing. Breakfast was so nice too. Very relaxing and Ana would greet us each morning with our coffee and knew our breakfast preferences after the first day.

We tried one morning to walk down the mountain and back up. We made it down, but had to call Kura for a ride back up the hill, and they were happy to pick us up. Which reminds me of the friendly drivers, they were so kind anytime they gave us a ride.

If you go - make sure you plan one day to just hang out at Kura around the pool drinking all of the amazing drinks and having snacks, just relaxing.

We also did a surfing lesson, which was recommended by Adam at Kura, and that was fantastic, we were both able to stand up on our boards within the first hour of practicing!

Kura was the most romantic place we have ever been and we will definitely plan a trip back (and we are not the type to travel to the same place twice) but we're making an exception in this case!
We have such wonderful memories from our time at Kura and miss them a lot!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Came here in what was supposed to be the rainy season but it was absolutely beautiful weather. I you like to mountain bike, there are amazing dirt roads from the hotel that you can ride for days. I will definitely be back !!

• Stayed July 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Kura Villas is a stunning boutique hotel in the mountains. The journey to the hotel is not too bad but a 4x4 would be advantageous. When you enter the view is breathtaking - the infinity pool is one of the best I have seen and the overall design if the hotel is contemporary and very cool. There is chill out music around the pool. The service here was Brilliant And the food was great - sushi was tasty for lunch. There were toucans, birds flying around the pool during the day. We had a junior suite which again had great views and design very cool. I will not give much away as don't want to ruin the surprise touches.
If you are after an exclusive retreat then you will not be disappointed! This is definitely the best hotel we have stayed by far.

Room Tip: Saw all rooms which are lovely. Our junior villa was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kura Design Villas Uvita? Share your experiences!