“one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay four - pay three
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Toronto, Canada
“one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful nights at Kura Design Villas and would have loved to have stayed longer.
Martin and Alejandra are extraordinarily talented and incredibly hospitable.They have created a work of art in paradise. The staff is extremely attentive, warm and caring.
The combination of architectural beauty and personal service create a breathtaking and intimate setting. We were torn between just relaxing and soaking in the spectacular views and taking advantage of all the activities the area has to offer.
Kura exceeds expectations and lives up to all the outstanding reviews it receives.
We wish Martin and Alejandra great success and hope to be back sometime soon.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have just returned from staying at this beautiful hotel set high up in the mountains with spectacular views of the Whales Tail beach one way and the rainforest the other. After a 'hiccup' with the directions not arriving via email and no sign posts to the hotel ( it really is exclusive) we arrived feeling pretty stressed. That did not last long! As soon as we were taken up to the infinity pool by Alejandra and Martin, the owners, we were given a delicious cocktail and the stress literally melted away. I have never been anywhere so beautiful. If you appreciate good achitectural design you will love this place. But it has so much more to offer than just the wonderful massive villas with double showers and floor to ceiling glass doors leading out to the deck with double hammocks. The gardens, planted up by Alejandra are stunning and were selected to attract butterflies and humming birds and all manner of interesting insects. Toucans fly past regularly. Perry the wild parrot who loves to have her picture taken really stole my heart. You can swim in the delightful infinity pool and feel like you have gone to heaven. All the staff including the lovely masseuse Adriana and Adam the head bar manager ( hope you had a fabulous wedding day!) were committed to making sure everything was perfect and it was. Particular thanks though to Alejandra and Martin for creating what is truly a masterpiece of a hotel. Worth every penny and more. We extended our stay we loved it so much. Go there if you can.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I just returned from an 7 night stay at the Kura and the experience was spectacular.

I have spent literally thousands and thousands of nights away from home, and the experience you get at Kura is one that is very unique. It is a place where you wake up in the morning and look forward to interacting with the staff, going up to the pool and relaxing, and just soaking in Costa Rica. There is no place more stress free!

The intimate setting is a couples dream, with extremely warm and friendly employees that you can tell are truly enjoying their jobs and want to help you enjoy your vacation in any way they can. The owners are always around and you can feel the pride and enjoyment they have for their establishment. They should with good reason, because it deserves every accolade. The reviews I read before we arrived were great, and I can tell you my expectations were exceeded.

Our ONLY concern is how we will get a reservation next year! I really think this is going to be one of the hardest places in Costa Rica to get a room in the future.

Some Highlights:

Whale Tale views + Wildlife - Views are spectacular from everywhere at the Kura. Parry the parrot can be seen flying around the pool and landing on your chair to say hello! From the hotel we also saw Tucans and a beautiful Anteater right in the tree next to the pool. Everyone is very eco-friendly at the hotel and love the animals.

Private Entrance to the beach - DO NOT miss the beach via the private Kura entrance. We were alone on the incredible beautiful beach all morning.

Pool and Food/Drink - The salt water pool is very nice for swimming or just hanging out, and the food was excellent. They are happy to recommend restaurants in the area as well. If you are staying for a week, you will probably want to dine out at least once or twice. We ate off the dinner and lunch menu at either meal time.

Room - The room is unlike anything you have ever seen. When you are in your room you feel like you are in your own private paradise. The shower is something that makes me want to remodel my own bathroom!

Spa - We both were lucky enough to have 1 hour massages while we were there and it was excellent. I had not had a massage before, and it was a really great experience. My wife has had massages before and commented on how much better the massage was at the Kura. The spa is a showpiece of a room. If you do not get any spa treatments, you should at least ask to see the studio, because it is unbelievable.

Staff and Owners - Costa Rica in general seemed to have the happiest people I have ever seen, and at the Kura this was no exception. Everyone was constantly smiling and talking with each other, and really it felt like we were staying with a big happy family.

Things to consider:

Transportation - The road up to the Kura is pretty steep and rocky and requires 4x4. We decided to hire a driver (see our review of Danny, another great experience) and it worked out even better than we imagined. I think a self drive is doable, but having a driver really made everything outside of the hotel even better.

Parting thoughts:

We staying in Villa #1, which is an Infinity Villa. I loved the location (right under the pool). I walked by the other 4 villas which are not connected to the main building and they looked very nice as well, but did not get a chance to view the rooms from the inside. They are configured as two buildings, each with the suite on top of the junior villa. Everything is very private.

There is just an X factor to this hotel that is hard to put into a review. Just personal touches and really just great people enjoy your time with. Being around happy people makes us happy, and everything at the Kura made our trip to Costa Rica beyond "5 star"!!!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Kura with my girlfriend and it was beyond expectations. I decided to register on tripadvisor just to review this place. I first learned about Kura Villas in Conde Nast and then read all of the reviews on here shocked that they were all so good, making me almost a little skeptical. Now having been there, I understand the hype. We flew into San Jose and then took the Sansa Cessna to Quepos where we were picked up by a very friendly driver named Martin at the airport, only to learn about 15 minutes into our hour drive to the resort that he was the owner! He could not be a more humble and great down to earth guy. The story alone of how he built this amazing resort made the ride there (and up the mountainside) go so fast. After the steep ride up the mountain, we got to Kura and were greeted by his girlfriend Alejandra (the other owner) who quickly made us a welcome drink and showed us the stunning view of the Pacific from the infinity pool area.
Having spent time in many five star hotels and resorts both domestic and abroad, I can honestly say this stacks up with the best in every category. The owners and staff could not be more friendly and attentive, and with only 6 villas, you literally have almost 2:1 staff to guest ratio so nothing is missed. The food is out of this world from fresh caught and prepared fish, to the fresh ceviche and tuna carpaccio. It was all excellent. They have a great drink and wine selection. The villa (#2) we stayed in was amazing! More than enough space and the private balcony and hammock was awesome. The double shower overlooking the Ocean was perfect. We literally woke up one morning and they delivered breakfast to us on our balcony as two Toucans were hanging on a tree in front of us... you just can't make this stuff up. You could here the congo monkeys howling in the background from down below in the rainforest (which sounded like howling wind)and the flowers and trees everywhere before you look out on the ocean just creates sensory overload. Adrianna gave amazing massages in the spa which also had the same great views. They have high end binoculars for all of the guests along with a huge telescope that helps to take in the amazing views. The pool is a huge highlight. Martin & Alejandra spared no expense here, everything has the nicest materials from the Bose sound system (including speakers built underwater that you can hear while you are swimming, no lie) to all of the fixtures and amenities. Martin & Alejandra even arranged for a private Valentines dinner on their sky-deck which was unreal. The great part about Kura is you can do as much or as little as you want. You can be just as comfortable hanging in your villa or by the pool. Perry the owners "house parrot" is pretty cool and hangs around the resort. If you want to leave the resort (which you won't really want to) they will arrange it for you the night before... we ended up doing the Canopy zip line tour about 45 minutes away and it was so much fun. I have already recommended this to many friends and clients and a few have booked, I think this resort is going to be sold out for months in advance as the word gets out... I highly recommend booking this , you will not regret it. I will definitely be back one day.

Room Tip: Villa #2 was great. I was worried at first when I was told I had an "Infinity Villa" ver...
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Kura is such a lovely place to relax, get away, enjoy the scenery AND the hotel. You can be as active as you like but should spend some time just hanging out. The chef is excellent and the libations are hand crafted and luscious! The staff is anxious to say YES to any of your requests and accommodate your every wish, even those you didn't know you had. The architecture is awesome and seriously well planned. The espresso machine in the room was a bonus. This is place that strives for, and achieves perfection.

Room Tip: We were in Suite 5. Can't imagine that others are any better!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from a couple of nights at this insanely awesome hotel and I felt obligated to review it immediately. I have no doubt it will be very difficult to book a room here in the foreseeable future as it is only a matter of time before it is totally discovered and coveted.

The design, location, food and service are over the top and perfect. Just go and see, assuming you can get a room. Martin and Alexandra have created a true gem and I hope to get back there very soon before it is too difficult to book. We took many pictures in the hopes that we may be able to recreate something like this someday on our own....

Room Tip: They are all incredible as there are only six.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent some wonderful 6 days at Kura Kura. Having arrived there through the rain forrest we found an oasis. We enyoyed the spectacular views from the infinity pool as well as the room (and even the shower) on the Costa Ballena and Pacific at Uvita, and on the rain forrest (with Toucans passing by in the garden) on the other side. The scenery and lights over the ocean (that you can still hear) change all over the day and result in a magic and vivid atmosphere. The architecture is beautiful and the climate was very pleasant. The service was very friendly and personal, we enjoyed the details, the meals and drinks as well as the pool and last but not least the room. The only thing to consider at Kura Kura is that the motivation to leave the place and enjoy the beauties of the countryside/beach or go back to work becomes limited.

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kura Design Villas Uvita? Share your experiences!