“Great Surfing Lesson!” 5 of 5 stars

+506 8586 8745
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Uvita 360 adventures provides Stand up paddling tours and lessons, Surfing lessons, kayak tours, all inclusive packages for your vacations and community service enrollment for large groups of students. Uvita 360 unlike any others. For the best in Stand up paddle tours, surf lessons and kayak visit Uvita 360 and learn THE REAL COSTA RICAN EXPERIENCE with the pioner ocean adventures since 2004. PURA VIDA!
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Surfing Lesson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I have both surfed once before. Our lesson was set up by our hotel, and we met Tito at Uvita Surf Camp, in Uvita. There, we signed waivers, and he chose surfboards for us based on our size/weight and experience.

Tito brought us to a nearby beach that he had chosen because the surf would be appropriate for beginners. He spent the first part of the lesson on the beach, showing us how to paddle and to get up on the boards. He also emphasized safety, and gave us an idea of which waves would be suitable for us, and which would be too much.

In the water, we were happy to find a sandy bottom, which was easy to walk on (I understand some surfing areas have coral underfoot - more difficult to walk, and painful if you fall on it). Tito helped both of us by holding the board steady and calling out instructions as we rode the wave. We were both able to get up on the boards, and surf several waves. We spent ~2 hours and were both very happy with the experience! See the attached video

Tito was great, friendly, and helpful. It was interesting speaking with him about his efforts to improve the local economy with his surf school. Great guy, great experience, and highly recommended :)

Visited March 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Basic Surfing Lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I had basic surfing lessons from Tito this past January. Uvita was a great, uncrowded beach to start on. Tito gave us great instruction and we were both able to get up on the board by our second tries. It was definitely a fun workout and I left eager to go out again.

Visited January 2013
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great experience and a new lifetime hobby!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Tito and Diego from Uvita Surf Camp provided us with a great experience. First of all, they were punctual! A great start. Diego (my instructor) took us over to a very nice beach with a great waves on which to learn. The instruction was informative, easy to follow and Diego delivered it with a friendly attitude often associated with the Pura Vida. I was popping up in no time! Diego even showed my some other skills that would usually be reserved for a longer or more advanced lesson and he provided water and snacks for me and my wife (who sat and watched and took photos). After the lesson, Diego told me about some other breaks I might be interested in trying. The experience was great and I would definitely recommend a lesson from Uvita Surf Camp if you are in the area. It was my first time trying to surf and now I came home and bought a board and, as my wife can attest, am obsessed! Thanks Uvita Surf Camp!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank sean o
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“perfect beginners' teachers and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am not a sporty person. I have only snowboarded once (and with difficulty) though I am comfortable in water. I expected surfing to be difficult but learning with Tito and Diego I was actually able to get up---and now I'm thinking about future vacations to surf locations where I might be able to build on the fundamentals they taught me. Learning with these guys was amazing. If I can learn, I am ready to guarantee anybody can. The beach they took me and boyfriend to was not, they explained, a big surfer destination for experienced surfers--but it's perfect for beginners, kind of like the bunny hill equivalent for skiers. The water is moderately shallow for a very long time, the waves break far far away from the beach so that you can surf the white-broken-wave for a long time, and the waves are very wide so you can go anywhere on the long beach and get waves. (I'm probably using all of the wrong technical jargon, but this is no reflection on my teachers!) We went for two lessons: one on a weekday when the beach was practically deserted---really, no one around; the second lesson was on the weekend and there were a number of locals around but there was still tons-o space and we didn't get anywhere near other people. I felt very safe the whole time and their instructions emphasized safety first and then fun second. They made efforts to teach us "proper" technique but, at least in my case, some compromises had to be made in order to at least get me up and going.

Visited February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Learned to surf for the first time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

It was a lot of fun, safe, beautiful, scenic and easier than I expected. I had a great time. We were virtually alone on the beach. It was perfect for first time surfers.

Diego was a great teacher. He brought drinks and snacks, shade and chairs.

Thank you Diego.