“Average experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 activities in Uvita
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: MAD ABOUT DIVING is the only PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre in Osa Peninsula. PADI is the largest association of recreational divers in the world and we recognize certification cards from all other diving associations.Dive, snorkel or train with us and find out first hand why so many clients make us their number one choice.Explore the best dive sites that Costa Rica has to offer and discover the beauty that Caño Island Biological Reserve, Marino Ballena National Park and Costa Ballena have to offer.MAD, short for MAD ABOUT DIVING, is known for having the highest quality service. We treat clients like guests: you never cart your gear around, change your tanks or rinse equipment; our friendly staff does it for you.As the premier dive facility, we also deliver top notch training. Our team consists of PADI Divemasters and Instructors that have years of professional diving experience in a multitude of marine environments.
Sarnia, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Average experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The staff was not that educating or entertaining for the trip. I think the only real communication we had with the staff was before entering the Marino Ballena National Park and Cano Island National Park, The first dive was beautiful, not alot of Coral like the Caribbean but the wildlife was spectacular. A diversity of fish, rays, and sharks were seen. For our second dive our conditions were not that great, cloudy and cold, so we surfaced early and were offered the chance to look for a new spot or go snorkeling.

Although I am sure the staff knew that conditions would not improve at the dive sites so they persuaded us to go snorkeling. I did not pay for a snorkeling trip, I paid to dive so I was a little disappointed at the lack of effort to try find a dive site with good conditions. Instead of persuading us to go snorkeling and cutting short our day, they could have still attempted to try another dive, THEN after people were satisfied conditions would not improve, then go snorkeling.

Although this is the only PADI certified diving outfit in Uvita, I had heard that there is an excellent company in Dominical (the next town down from Uvita) that does the same trip and can pick you up in Uvita.

Visited February 2013
MADAboutDivingCR, General Manager at Mad About Diving, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello Mike,

We're sorry to hear you had an average experience with us. We strive to make sure that our client's time with us is one of the highlights of their Costa Rican vacation.

Unfortunately the day you were diving there was, as you said, a cold water current during the second dive that affects the visibility. This current affects ALL the island and we knew that once it was there it meant that all the other dive sites would be in the same condition.

As you may recall the guide asked the group if they would rather continue diving in bad conditions or go to a snorkel site with better visibility and it was the groups' consensus to go snorkeling instead. Regrettably the weather is something we have not yet learned to control and when we are affected with bad diving conditions there is very little we can do.

Cheers,

L

Lansing, Kansas
“Fantastic diving w/ this crew!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a total of 6 dives through the week with Paolo and his crew. I would highly recommend Cano Island for the best diving. Paolo and Laura were extremely easy to work with and our diverse group finished their open water certification, one achieved his advanced certification, and the rest of us just had a great time. My husband is a disabled vet and was very concerned about his mobility issues - Pablo and his crew made him feel comfortable and provided personalized assistance to accomodate his needs - he had a GREAT time and couldn't believe how easy they made it for him to get in and out of the boat. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this crew to my family and friends!!

Visited January 2013
MADAboutDivingCR, General Manager at Mad About Diving, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We're happy to hear you found our instructor friendly, the way it should be.
As for the conditions of the actual dive shop, due to the fact that it's in the maritime zone, we can not remodel it or do any major structural alterations. We do strive to make sure that everything else (our gear, boats) is indeed in tip-top shape! We're happy you were able to see past this and dive with us anyway.

Cheers,
L
“greatest people to go diving with”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

They will answer all your questions and are easily reachable. I was there to get some of my certification dives and the instructor, who is also the co-owner, is a very cool guy, not intimidating at all (which sometimes is a feature of scuba instructor), has a flawless English. The building the business is operating from is run down, but don't let that discourage you, it has nothing to do with the diving. They were also very punctual. Laura, the co-owner, also has flawless English and is a very pleasant person to do business with.

Aurora, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful first dive experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was the first official dive since earning our open water diving certification for four of the six members of our group. Pablo was our guide and was wonderful! Our daughter was somewhat reluctant on the first dive and he helped her descend and made all of us comfortable throughout the dive. My mask was leaking (my own equipment) and Pablo offered to trade with me, giving me his own higher quality mask. Pablo and his team prepped all of our equipment before both dives and provided good information about the sea life and the geology of the area. The diving off Cano Island was wonderful and we saw lots of reef sharks, 2 rays, a sea turtle and MANY fish as well as beautiful rock formations. The lunch they provided was delicious with fresh fruit and empanadas. I arranged the trip from home prior to arriving in Costa Rica and Laura was very helpful in answering questions and providing guidance as to expectations. I was also very impressed that they were honest in suggesting that the visibility was poor on a second trip we could have booked, giving us time to do other activities instead. If it were possible, we would rate a six out of five. I would highly recommend Mad About Diving to new and more experienced divers.

Visited January 2013
MADAboutDivingCR, General Manager at Mad About Diving, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, it actually made me a little teary. We pour our heart and soul into the dive shop and are appreciate it when others can see it.

Laura
“Friendly and accommodating staff made for an excellent referral and first dive.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

They helped me find the place when I was lost, wandering around town, recommended a great nearby hostel, and made great suggestions to make my diving experience amazing. I did my classroom and pool training in the States, and did my 4 dives over 2 days to complete my open water certification with Mad About Diving. Instructor was friendly, professional, and incredibly knowledgable about the area and dive sites.

I was also able make my first two dives on a day trip to Cano Island after completing my certification. Again, the dive was great and the entire staff was excellent and I would highly recommend Mad About Diving.