We stayed for over a week at this wonderful location, and can echo all the positive comments made by other reviewers.
The villas are located about half way between Dominical and Uvita. They are accessed via a very steep 300 metre unmade track from the highway. The track is quite rough and does require a good 4x4 vehicle. We found the first couple of ascents quite daunting, but steep drives appear to be a common factor for any property along this stretch of coast that has an ocean view.
Once you get to the parking area there are three sets of steep steps to the main building. All of this is made worthwhile by the spectacular ocean and jungle views from the main building terrace.
There are five bungalows, all of which are set in very private locations with good views. We had bungalow 3 which I believe is the highest and furthest from the main building, and because of this probably has the best all round situation. Our bungalow was furnished to a high standard, and we loved the open air shower that is accessed via a sliding glass door from the bathroom. Each bungalow has a terrace with views into the surrounding jungle and ocean. Between the bedroom and balcony there are louved doors that pull back to allow the room to be fully open to the elements. You can have the doors open all night, but we preferred to pull them back with the sunrise.
If you're a light sleeper like me then be prepared to be woken early by the jungle dawn chorus. There is an amazing array of bird, insect and monkey calls that kick off at around 5am. Add the sound of the waves crashing in Playa Hermosa and you get an amazing natural soundscape. You do get occasional traffic noise from the highway but on the whole this tends to be drowned out by the sounds of waves crashing on the beach.
The owners work hard to provide a very relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast is served at almost any AM time to suit guests, and includes a nice mix of fresh fruit, cooked options, bread etc. The main building, pool area and bungalows are all kept spotlessly clean. Obviously being in the jungle there will be occasional problems with bugs, but apart from a few kamikazi cicardas we had no problems ourselves.
Playa Hermosa is a 15 minute walk from the villas. This is a beautiful long sandy beach which seems quite safe, has very few people on it, plus lots of interesting wildlife.
The main building includes an infinity pool that allows you to indulge in that magnificent ocean view. The pool never seemed to get that busy.
I'd say that having a car/4x4 is almost mandatory for this location. You can get taxi's to ferry you around the various attractions but they are expensive. e.g. a taxi ride to Ojochal is $69 one way.
- Also Known As:
- Tikivillas Rainforest Hotel
- Tikivillas Rainforest Hotel Uvita
- TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Uvita
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Scattered in this rainforest paradise near Uvita TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge is a small Balinese style boutique Eco Lodge with a relaxed atmosphere offering only five private spacious individual villas set 100 metres (330 ft) above the Pacific Ocean on a mountainside and just a few minutes walking distance to the beaches of the Ballena Marine National Park between Dominical and Uvita de Osa, Southern Costa Rica. TikiVillas is a perfect jungle and beach getaway for couples and honeymooners! You can fully immerse yourself in the Magic of Nature in our 13 acres of private Rainforest reserve and lush tropical gardens. Access to miles of deserted beaches and jungle trails through primary rainforest and waterfalls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.