“Breathtaking Standards !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mareas Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uvita
Mareas Villas
You added Mareas Villas to your Saves list
Playa Hermosa, Bahia Ballena | Puntarenas, Osa, Uvita 11111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Uvita
Dublin, Ireland
“Breathtaking Standards !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Mareas Villas in Costa Rica is the embodiment of luxurious comfort and an impressive destination befitting royal tastes and standards. Upon arrival at the main villa one is greeted by a spectacular entry way leading to an open plan living room, huge bar spilling over onto a walk into infinity pool where the waters seem to meet the Costa Rican heavens ! ! ! ! It is truly breathtaking ! ! ! The ambiance of the rain forest with lipstick palm trees and many other exotic plants cloak the main Villa and its private accommodation villas which lend themselves to privacy and tranquillity. Our hosts, Pilar and Tim, are a lovely and very personable couple and have a wealth of local knowledge and contacts. There are very few places on the globe that can be referred to as breathtaking; Mareas Villas is a destination that will take your breath away !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Mareas Villas, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words Ray. It was truely a pleasure meeting you. Your stories were very entertaining. We're happy that you could appreciate "Our" jungle. Someday we'll visit yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Uvita, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our stay at Mareas was a 5 day getaway with a close friend and hands down we enjoyed the golden hour (sunset) by the pool the most. As the sun went down we relaxed by the pool each day and listened to the chatter of the birds, cocktail in hand. The waterfall feature and spa were our favourite luxury items that not all rental villas have available and it was a treat for us for sure as we are both day spa goers. The gardens were lush and amazing, and especially during dry season it was surprising to see the variety of flowers. The care that was taken to manicure the property and trails on site is a definite delight as are the outdoor showers. The rooms are fair sized and well kept and the balconies offer great lounging areas as well as a cool breeze on the hot days. Great job Pilar & Tim for creating a tropical luxury paradise not far off the beaten track!

Room Tip: Second floor units have great breeze to go with the ocean view!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Nikki.

Thank you very much for your kind review. We sincerely hope that you will be able to visit us again!

Tim & Pilar
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Please read this.... I wish I had before I rented Mareas.

First of all, the house is amazing. You can't ask for anything more when renting a luxury villa. Especially one that is nested high above the rain forest and offers the views that Mareas does. Please keep this in mind as you continue reading. That being said, here's the heart of my review.

We rented this place for about 23 people. Everyone had a place to sleep, so it can definitely fit a party of that size. The place is fully furnished, stocked with dishes and silverware, has a pool cleaner that comes every 2 days, cleaning service in the mornings, has board games and playing cards, enough towels for everyone, etc. The house is exactly what we wanted when choosing a private luxury villa EXCEPT for the following items that were unknown to us prior to our arrival.

The owners: I have never rented a place that had the owners stay with you. By "stay with you" I literally mean STAY WITH YOU!! They have an apartment that they stay in that is located directly above the kitchen/bar area and main gathering place. This means that if you are looking to rent a place with some privacy, then MAREAS is NOT the place for you. Read other reviews on this house and you'll find that others have the same opinion. Tim comes down everyday and inspects the place with a fine tooth comb. He blamed us for a loose screw on the bbq grill that was loose when we arrived. Pilar complained to us about the volume of the music that we were playing and had Tim do the same to strengthen her argument. When renting a house, shouldn't you be allowed to play music as loud as you want and at any time you want? Mareas, as advertised, has no direct neighbor for miles! This house is not like any other house that I have ever rented. The owners need to learn that renting a private villa should come with privacy. Mareas has absolutely ZERO privacy!!! It felt like we had eyes on us for the duration of our stay. So much so that we decided to forfeit the last 2 days in order to stay in a 3 star hotel in Jaco.

The road: Be advised that the road up to the house is a long windy unpaved dirt road. You need a 4x4 to get to this place. It is very difficult to leave and return to the house, especially if you're coming here with a big party. The supermarket is overpriced and is about 20 minutes from the front door, so make sure that you have enough groceries prior to checking in.

Also be advised that guests are NOT permitted at the house. I had a friend of a friend visit us from San Jose with the intention of staying for a couple of days, only to find out that Pilar had wanted her to leave because she was not a part of the initial guest list upon check in.

All in all, the house is great despite the fact that the owners stay with you and knit pick about a lot of things. If you don't mind that, then you'll be ok. If you're renting this place expecting privacy, FORGET about it. Other reviews make it a point to let you know that Pilar looks out of the curtains of her apartment constantly monitoring your activity. This didn't happen as much while we were there, but there were daily walk throughs, so be prepared for that.

My personal opinion..... Stay away from this house. There are plenty of nice villas to rent, and I'm sure all of them offer the same luxurious amenities. They may even be easier to access with better roads. And most importantly, make sure you know if the owners will be staying with you or not. That would have been an easy deal breaker for our group had we known before booking. DO YOUR RESEARCH and read other reviews on this place.

Room Tip: Please read this.... I wish I had before I rented Mareas. First of all, the house is amazing. You...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Mareas Villas, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Mareas has, as all private villas do, a rental agreement. The agreement is very specific and was signed by someone other than this reviewer. This group booked through an agency and had no direct contact with us prior to arrival, however was well informed via the agreement. The agreement clearly states that no illicit behavior or illegal activity is permitted. In addition, the booking was for 16 people and 28 showed up. The “friend” that this reviewer mentions was not a friend, but a prostitute purchased for the future groom in this bachelor party. We know this as the taxi driver who was providing transportation as well as cocaine and other illicit drugs informed us that the prostitute was hired and brought down from Jaco. Although the booking agency advised us to kick them out because of the illegal activities, we chose to ride it out for fear of physical retaliation from these 28 drugged men. We are disappointed with this unfair review.
uvita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Loved staying here! Tim did a great job cooking for us and Pilar made the place so romantic. The trails to the waterfall are amazing as was the yoga deck. Best pool in the world. Highly recommend. They put us on the best tours. Waterfall rappelling! OMG. Scotti was a blast and showed us a part of Costa Rica we

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mr. Bob,

Thank you so much for your gracious review of Mareas! We're grateful that you and your lovely mate enjoyed our little corner in the world. Please come see us again!

Tim & Pilar
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

One of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. The views are spectacular. You don't get to see this kind of natural beauty very often. The villas are beautiful, right down the fine luxury linens. Everywhere you look is breathtaking. I have traveled all over the world and this was one of my most favorite vacations. I love the combination of rugged landscape and luxury accommodations . This truly is paradise. Hosts Pilar and Tim could not have been more welcoming. They are knowledgable of the land and made our stay interesting and fun. They are elegant hosts without being stuffy. This goes on my very short list of places to return.

Room Tip: you can't go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Mareas Villas, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Curtis, It was an absolute privilege to meet you. Tiki and Chata both miss you as much as we do. Pilar and I certainly appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you soon.
Flagstaff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Pictures and words cannot do Mareas Justice... staying here was like living in someones dream they imagined was paradise. The beautiful oceanic views, lively jungle, pristine waterfalls, abundant wildlife I had grown accustom to on this trip made for one of the tough goodbyes to memory. On top of that the host Tim and Pilar were even more difficult to part with. The level of hospitality they provided was second to none. Tim's creativity in the kitchen is impressive to say the least. I never knew such healthy food could taste so good, it has inspired me to take a whole new approach to cooking when I came home. Pilar's was incredible as well.. what a positive disposition she holds 24/7. She was working around the clock to insure we had experienced everything Costa Rica had to offer. By the end of our trip we truly felt like family and it was sooo hard to say goodbye to this paradise and I promise I will be back!!!!

Anyways, I have been to 35 countries and can whole heatedly say this an experience that cannot be matched for it is truly unique and will make you feel like a new person, I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Front Top Master!! they are all great though
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My first time to Costa Rica was exceptional not only because I was vacationing with great company but also because I had the privilege staying at this flawless resort. I vacation frequently and I will say that this is one of the most tropical and luxurious resorts I’ve stayed at. I live in San Francisco and in a neighborhood with some of the best food in the world at my fingertips. That being said, I have to say that some of the best meals I’ve had in months were while staying at Mareas. Tim is such a talented chef who prepared exquisite meals each day, such a treat! I was impressed with Pilar (very friendly and knowledgeable), and their son, John, who offered a plethora of historical, cultural and wildlife information during our stay. I shared photos from my trip with friends and family and all have expressed interest in Costa Rica, and even started planning a trip to stay at Mareas. I hope I’m invited to join because I would come back in a heartbeat! I highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: If you love nature, and the awesome sounds of the jungle, any room is PERFECT!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Mareas Villas, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Wow! What high praise. It was such a privilege meeting and getting to know you Emily. We feel as if we've made a lifelong friend. We hope to see you back at Mareas soon and hopefully when we come back to SD as well.

Been to Mareas Villas? Share your experiences!