“The best hidden gem!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oxygen Jungle Villas

You added Oxygen Jungle Villas to your Saves list
Oxygen Jungle Villas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino de Suenos | 1,5 km NE del Catarata de Uvita, Uvita, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Certificate of Excellence 2014
california
“The best hidden gem!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Where to start with this amazing place I feel so lucky we found through a friend of a friend... I thank him so much for this incredible hidden gem! My husband and I just got home and couldnt get on Trip Advisor fast enough to write a review... this place is a tough act to follow and I have to say it was not so easy going to Manuel Antonio and another hotel after being in Uvita and at Oxygen for 5 nights- we are booking for next Christmas already! We pulled up to Oxygen and were greeted by who we found to be the most kind and wonderful staff/new found friends.. the decor was balinese and so gorgeous, clean and all white- they welcomed us, gave us smoothies and water and really set the tone for our vacation- very chill and relaxed. We didnt have any paperwork to fill out and no credit cards to put down since they had all of our information. Normally you go to a hotel and deal with all of this however you didnt sign or see one bill until the very end- and some might have been surprised in the end with their bill but I think they forgot to add a few coffees, etc bc our bill was less than we expected... they are very fair and so sweet ALL of them- so informative, Edwin drew an amazing map and told us if great places to go- and some not your typical tourist spots. The pool was a gorgeous infinity pool overlooking the ocean- such a great spot for a day to be chill and read your book. The rooms were incredible- we had our own private villa and I honestly felt like we were on our honeymoon all over again- youre in a room of all glass but then there are shades for privacy- a comfortable bed, gorgeous balinese decor and just a DVD player (which I loved- no phone or TV) with Edwins best list of songs... the food was incredible in addition to the presentation (at breakfast as well as lunch and dinner). it is a small, intimate resort so for lunch the menu varies depending on what the chef found for the day- so all was delicious and fresh! As for dinner, it was like no other. A 5 course meal with the most talented chef from Holland- I was trying to recruit him back to the states. The presentation, the way it was served with an explanation of what we were eating was incredible- better than a 5 star restaurant and not stuffy at all- we ended up eating there every night! The chef would head out every morning to town to find the most fresh and amazing ingredients. The wildlife was awesome and the river on their property is a must see - and dont forget about a massage at Oxygen- im blanking on her name however she was amazing- I had 2 hours and this is a must while at Oxygen! I loved the location, definitely do the drive during the day if you can and I loved that there werent any signs and it was a 10 minute drive from town so you felt like you were in a secluded resort- away from it all with an incredible view. The place was spotless - Edwin and the others would do anything for you. We have made so many great friends because you get to know everyone so well because its so intimate and small. No children which was nice and it was so mellow and relaxing. They definitely attract a great clientele and this place was beyond affordable- we told them they should charge more- I cant thank everyone enough for everything- because of all of you, your amazing little hidden find and the atmosphere you have created for what was the best trip we have ever taken. The one person we missed meeting was Flora who I think I drove crazy with all of my questions via email prior to coming. I honestly felt like she was next door because I would email her a question and within an hour max I would have an answer. She booked our car (4x4 of course is a must and for sure get a GPS) and took care of all questions I had asked! Sorry I am rambling but the first thing I do when I got home was to get on Trip Advisor to share my incredible experience at Oxygen which I hope you all get to experience yourself- side note, be sure to go to Oxygen last during your vacation or stay there the whole time because any place after doesnt even compare and can be a disappointment- Oxygen has set high standards and are a tough act to follow!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Oxygen for 4 nights of our honeymoon. I wish that we had stayed there the whole time. It was wonderful!

Getting there - as previous posters had mentioned, a 4 wheel drive is essential for the 10 minute drive on the unpaved roads. Our GPS didn't have Oxygen as a hotel that you could locate and create as a destination (probably b/c it is such a new hotel). Anyway, just search for the Banco de Costa Rica in Uvita. There is a tourism office across the street. Go in there and they will give you printed directions to Oxygen. The drive was very easy (but bumpy) when it was dry. If it is rainy, I would recommend leaving your car down by the tourism office and taking a taxi up the mountain. (The taxi costs about $10 and the taxi drivers are used to driving in the mud). We had one scary incident of sliding down the mountain in the mud after a rainy day. (A side note on renting cars in Costa Rica - get a GPS. Also, bring your itrip or some way to play your ipod in the car. I didn't think of this).

The villas are perfect. We were in villa 5, which has an ocean view. At first I was worried that we wouldn't have enough privacy for our honeymoon b/c we had villas on either side of us. This was not the case. Outside of the glass structure, still under the roof, there are hallways. The other side of the hallway has wooden slates for privacy. Also, inside the glass walls, there are many curtains. We really enjoyed sitting on the porch couch - it was very private.

The rest of the facilities are exactly what you would want. Infinity pool, lounge chairs. Be sure to do the easy hike to the river. We had a couples massage, which was very relaxing. The wifi was touch and go. Apparently the tower kept losing power, and they were installing a generator. Internet was available at least daily, but it was randomly go down. We didn't need the internet for anything important, just checking FB for wedding photos. But if you need to be connected for work, this might be an issue. Email Edwin and ask if it got fixed.

The staff is so wonderful. Flora was abroad, but Edwin was so helpful with giving directions and recommending activities. I think the staff are all friends and they really enjoy working, which makes such a difference. One small thing that I enjoyed - there was no need to sign a bill after each meal. Since it is such a small resort, they are able to keep track of your food/drink consumption. You simply pay when you check out.

The food is crazy amazing. The chef is really talented. As other posters have mentioned, you must have the 4 course meal at least once (we did 3 out of 4 nights). We have fairly boring tastes, meat and potatoes midwesterners, so I was a little worried that the surprise dinners would be too adventuresome. They weren't, they were just delicious. (And they accommodated our boring no seafood request).

The beaches take about a 10-15 minute drive. Driving in Costa Rica is just so beautiful, that you don't mind the drive. The beaches are very isolated, which is nice. We couldn't make it to one of the beaches (Arcos) b/c we weren't wearing the right shoes for a hike. (I didn't plan very well w/ packing for the honeymoon b/c I was distracted w/ the wedding. But bring a backpack and hiking sandals w/ straps).

Uvita is a small town, and isn't very touristy. We were able to go to the supermarket for snacks, which was nice for the beach. I think the touristy beach is Dominical, to the north. If we would have had a few more days, we probably would have made the drive there to spend the day at the beach.

I highly, highly recommend staying at Oxygen. It is absolutely wonderful. Book right now!!!

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

We just returned from staying at Oxygen Jungle Villas for one week. Without a doubt, this was one the the nicest places we visited and much nicer than other hotels that we stayed at in Costa Rica (or elsewhere for that matter). If you are looking for luxury, privacy, quiet, views, wildlife and delicious cuisine, this is an excellent choice.

The villas are gorgeous. The side and front walls are glass (with the ability to close curtains for privacy) so you wake up to views of the forest and the ocean. The villas are spaced apart far enough for privacy which was nice. The beds are really comfy. The bathrooms are beautiful with rain showers-so relaxing to come back to after a day at the beach. Each villa has a front patio where you can sit on the couch and enjoy the views and the many birds that live near the property. We enjoyed waking up to the sounds of toucans and other birds that we never see at home. Some mornings and evenings we heard howler monkeys.

There is a restaurant and bar onsite that serves wonderful food, and you'll want to experience the surpise four-course dinner at least once. As others have mentioned, it is a culinary delight not to be missed. The breakfasts are also really tasty.

Another reviewer mentioned the location, specifically the drive to the villas. I have to say that the first time we did the drive I found it a bit intimidating. While the road is not dangerous, it is rocky and a four-wheel drive is necessary. That being said, once you do the drive once, it is no problem getting up and down the mountain and it takes no time to develop an appreciation for the location. On our first day, we saw two toucans, several morpho butterflies and a number of odd and beautiful insects. On our second day, we were driving on the road from the villas and saw a three-toed sloth crossing the road. We were so close we could have pet him. Every day there was a new and wonderful wildlife experience. Had we selected a different location, I'm sure we would not have experienced the same intimacy with nature.

In addition to the wildlife, there is a lovely trail that leads to a small waterfall and swimming hole minutes from the villas, a larger waterfall and swimming area just down the street and of course, a beautiful infinity pool on the property. Coming and going is very easy and we relished the experience of returning to our gorgeous villa after a long day of exploring all that the area has to offer.

The staff at Oxygen are very friendly and accommodating. We didn't have an opportunity to meet Flora, but Edwin and everyone else was wonderful. Edwin set us up with some very memorable tours including Nayaca Falls (highly recommended) and Cano Island snorkeling. He also shared recommendations for where to see the best sunsets, where to get great food, best times to experience the whales tail, etc. We couldn't have been more pleased. Ask Edwin for one of his personalized "maps"-much better than any guidebook! If you aren't looking to do something every day as we did, staying at the villas and relaxing in the pool or waterfalls, exploring the property (lots of wildlife in hills above villas) or relaxing in your gorgeous villa are also options. This is a great place for watching birds.

There are no TVs, which I actually appreciated, however, there is a personal DVD player in each room and a selection of DVDs at the front desk. There is free WIFI on the property although sometimes connection speeds are slow (remember, you are in the mountains/forest). This is the kind of place where you want to leave all that stuff behind and really enjoy each day.

We couldn't have been more pleased and wouldn't change a thing except that next time we will book longer than a week. Thank you Oxygen for making our vacation so memorable!

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Just returned from a one week stay at Oxygen. It is hands down the best hotel I have ever been to, it deserves more than 5 stars. The service is amazing, the hosts Edwin and Flora, do their best to make you comfortable and feel at home. The food at the hotel is spectacular. The evening tasting menu is to die for. What a great treat. The atmosphere is relaxed and sophisticated at the same time. The villas are beautiful and the views are breathtaking. There are a lot of things to see and do in Uvita and the surrounding area. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Oxygen Villas turned out to be the best and most romantic vacation my wife and I have taken. It is truly a hidden gem of resorts that can bring two people together like nothing else. The drive from San Jose thru the mountain road was spectacular and really gives you a picture of how beautiful Costa Rica is. The remoteness of the resort only adds to its natural charm and beauty. Edwin and Flora are the most amazing hosts we have encountered. We truly feel like we have made new friends and we will surely be back many times.
Mike and Jodie (Massachusetts)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Oxygen Jungle Villas were amazing! The grounds were beautiful, the room was amazing, the views were fantastic, the pool was wonderful as well as the spa....The food was fantastic. Every night we had a surprise dinner that was a four course meal and every night it was better than the night before, the presentation of the food was gorgeous and the taste was better than any gourment restauraunt I have ever dined at! The best part of the experience were the owners Edwin and Flora...they were wonderful. They just made the whole experience even better! Our experience was amazing, and we are planning a trip back next year!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

The reviews of Oxygen Jungle Villa are all so glowing, and they are all true. Edwin and Flora have created a zen oasis on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. It is enchanting, romantic, relaxing...and the host and hostess will give you as much space as you need, or as much attention as you require. Take advantage of the Oxygen Surprise Dinner...its a wonderful, multi-course treat, and seriously worth it. You'll pay more taking a cab down the mountain and its a big hassle compared to sitting on the deck, enjoying music, an incredible view and personal attention. When the road from Quepos to Uvita is complete, it will be a snap to drive from San Jose. The mountain route is also beautiful but I would only drive it during the day. Go to this place before it is overrun by famous people!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Oxygen Jungle Villas? Share your experiences!