“Jungle Gem!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oxygen Jungle Villas

You added Oxygen Jungle Villas to your Saves list
Oxygen Jungle Villas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino de Suenos | 1,5 km NE del Catarata de Uvita, Uvita, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Jungle Gem!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have always wanted to travel to this area in Costa Rica but were concerned with the distance from the airport and or the flight connections on the smaller aircraft. We decided to split our journey and transfer from the cloud forest a few days after our arrival and fly back. The transfer driver Martin was wonderful thanks to Chuck at Oxygen reassuring us of a safe and easy though lengthy trip given my health issues. We almost arrived without a hitch but a recent storm had toppled a large tree across our road up the mountain nearer the top and pulled most of the electrical lines down with it. Oxygen sent a jeep to meet us and we pretended to be in boot camp as we pushed our luggage and backpacks under the fallen tree and wriggled our way through the downed lines. We were warmly greeted by Mat and helped to our room which was exquisite but some back up lanterns charged properly and some candles would have helped to smooth the situation over a bit better!! The bungalows and lush jungle setting were a fairytale come to life and the staff especially Victor on his first evening as host and server was extraordinary as was the rest of the crew. Sylvia was so helpful with suggestions and information and making transfers work smoothly to do the things we wanted without renting a car. It is a $1000.00 deposit just to let people know.!! Roy, Linda from the spa and the world class chef made this boutique lodging experience most memorable. Monsieur Harpe, the owner and architect of this Bali style Eden has indeed created a true getaway in paradise for those with a spirit of adventure. Thank you all so very much!!

Room Tip: Ocean view or jungle you cannot go wrong!! Bungalows 6 thru 9 were along a ridge to see the ocean a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxygen M, Manager at Oxygen Jungle Villas, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Wow, it sounds like you had quite the adventure. Normally fallen trees is not a problem this time of year, but you can never predict what mother nature will throw at you.

It sounds like we could do a better job planning for these emergencies. It's being noted and we will take additional precautions to have candles and lanterns that are immediately ready for all of our guests.

Chuck is a great member of our team and we are happy to hear that he did a wonderful job with relieving you of your concerns. The Chef Robert is a new addition to our team and his cooking is quite amazing. We do agree with you, Linda knows how to work magic with her hands! We'll make sure to let Victor, Sylvia, and Roy know that they were all mentioned in your review, the local staff take a lot of pride from this.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review, next time we see you, we hope that the weather will be more cooperative!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I agree with the last few posters about Oxygen. My husband and I stayed here in April 2013, and although the views, scenery, and ambiance were beautiful, we were really disappointed. This place has so much potential, but needs a lot of improvement in services, and amenities. The owner, as the other posters stated, did work on his laptop all day by the pool. I also found this inappropriate, especially as there was a response from management on tripadvisor to a recent post that this wouldn't happen anymore teh day before we arrived. We experienced this our whole time. Not only that, we also overheard conversations about staff efficiencies, what needed to be done in each room, etc. It made it extremely uncomfortable since this is a small place with only 12 villas, so when you are the only 2 people at the dining area at breakfast and have to overhear all business conversations it makes it less than pleasant. The food was good and fresh, although there was one day when we made the trek back to the hotel for lunch and to relax by the pool and were told the chef went home sick so we couldn't get lunch. Royiner did arrange for us to get some snacks (not sure if the chef came back?) so that was much appreciated. I wanted to love this place so much more as I had most looked forward to staying here of the 3 hotels we were at in Costa Rica, but it really fell short. The staff tried very hard, but they could use some help. Having to serve food, bar tend, clean tables, check in and check out is a lot for one person. It took us over 30 minutes to check out since there were three villas trying to leave at the same time, and only 1 person to help. On the plus side, Victor, Royiner and Sylvia are all fantastic. Overall, the villas and views are beautiful, but for the price there are better values in Uvita and the area.

Hello,

It sounds like you had a disappointing experience and we would like to make it up to you. We would be more than happy to offer you a complimentary stay. Please contact us so that we can arrange this.

From the sound of things you visited us when a consultant was assisting us. This was during a transitional period of time from one General Manager to another. We are happy to announce that Sami our new General Manager is now working for us full-time.

We are not sure what transpired with the missing Chef in your post, but this should not have occurred. We are currently researching this and taking steps to prevent it from happening again.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the views and the villas. To us the views of the jungle and the ocean is what makes Costa Rica a special place, and it thrills us that you enjoyed this part of your vacation.

It's also quite a joy to learn that the staff did a great job assisting you. We take great pride in hiring local staff and being a member of the community. We'll let them know that they were mentioned on Trip Advisor and that their efforts were appreciated.

Thank you for your review.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had such a wonderful experience here. The villas are absolutely incredible and so was the food. The owner and his staff really helped make the experience for us and went out of their way everyday to make sure we were comfortable. It is really a must do. A great value.

Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This place is beautiful. The sounds of the jungle, the trees, the birds, the scenery and the buildings themselves are all lovely.

....but.....

For us, particularly when paying this kind of price, we want more out of a resort than just great scenery. We've been lucky enough to stay at some amazing boutique resorts around the world, so maybe we're just spoilt, but I found this place to be lacking in some important ways.

We felt there were many things that could be improved. I will list a few of them here:

- Management: the resort's manager sat near the pool everyday, working on his laptop. He also conducted business meetings every day in the same area. I heard all about staff issues, invoicing issues and even witnessed a meeting about a villa sale - including all the contractual points & prices, including profits & how profits might be improved!! I thought that was really unprofessional and was the last thing I wanted to hear when relaxing around the pool on holiday.

- the villa: Perhaps I expected too much, but before arriving I imagined a villa surrounded by jungle, private & secluded, quiet & peaceful. This wasn't what we found. Our villa was within a few feet of the car park & within a few feet of the next villa. At night & early in the morning we were bothered by car headlights shining straight into our room and could hear the conversations of the people exiting their cars. Luckily the people next door to us were very quiet, but we heard them chatting a few times, just because they were so close.

- Service: although the staff are sweet and are trying their best, they obviously lack experience at this level and often seemed out of their depth with simple requests.

- Food: during our stay, food options were very limited. Whether breakfast, lunch or dinner, there was no menu and options were given to you verbally only. This may just be a personal preference, but I like to sit and look through a menu. For me, that's part of the experience of having a meal. Also, and I think this is particularly important, you are not given any idea of the cost of the options until you check out & pay the bill. There were a few unpleasant surprises at that point for us. Particularly when, because the options were very limited, I often found myself having something to fill me up, rather than something I'd really enjoy. The standard of the food ranged from average to very good.

I don't enjoy finding fault with our stay because Costa Rica is a beautiful, friendly & amazing place, but Tripadvisor is an invaluable tool for me when booking holidays & I hope this review is helpful to others considering staying at Oxygen Jungle Villas.

On the plus side, we enjoyed the gorgeous pool, the lovely little trail into the jungle, the good coffee, the wildlife, the jungle sounds and the comfy beds!

Room Tip: Choose a jungle view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxygen M, Manager at Oxygen Jungle Villas, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for your review of Oxygen. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a perfect stay during your time with us and address your points below.

Management: We agree that it is unprofessional for you to overhear staff issues and business transactions in relation to the hotel and we can assure you that this will not happen again.

Villa: We are continuously striving to improve privacy of the villas and have been planting additional flora for a while now which, as time passes, will increase the privacy more.

Service: When you were visiting we had a couple of new staff members so this may be why they seemed less experienced. We also like to do our best to hire Costa Rican nationals to support the local economy which usually takes a bit more training on our end. We apologize for the staff not seeming experienced enough, this is something we will definitely look into and address.

Food: Also while you were visiting we were transitioning to a new chef who was designing a new menu while you were staying with us. We are happy to announce that the new menu has been prepared and is now available to all of the guests. Again, we apologize to you for this inconvenience. We agree that you should have been made aware of the cost of your food beforehand and we have spoken to the staff about this.

We are glad that you enjoyed the conformable beds and beautiful nature that Costa Rica and Oxygen has to offer.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in Unit 12.  This was a very private jungle view.  I was skeptical about not having an ocean view, but it was really neat and different.  We saw lots birds and animals sitting on our sofa in the morning.  Overall, this place is enjoyable, but frustrating.  Apparently, there is an unwritten rule, that the pool could not be used from 730pm to 1030pm, as the dinner tables are pool side.  I understand it, but it felt awkward when we were the only 2 having dinner and another couple wanted to swim.  I think it is perfect for honeymooners (we were not)...but it is missing a few key, simple design elements to make it work.  (Please note, this is written from the point of view of our unit, the others could be different).  There were no luggage racks, or anyplace to put our luggage.  We travel with rollerboards  and are used to "living out of them" so they were on the floor of the bathroom.  The clothing "shelves" are stained in black, and are cubby holes built into the backside of the headboard and at night, even with all the lights on, it was difficult to see in them.  There were no hooks to hang wet towels, or wet bathing suits, just hangers in the closet shelving area.  In general, the hanging areas are limited, which included the rails used to open the stall door.  The shower design looks cool, (rock floors, all glass, nice shower head) but leaked all over the floor and well, on our suitcases that we stored there.  Management is aware of the problem and happily gave us extra towels we could put on the floor.  The floor in the unit is high polished tile...slippery when wet.

There was only one small plastic table to be used as a night stand.  So if we wanted to lay in bed and have coffee or wine, there was no place to put the glasses except on the floor.

We enjoyed sitting on the sofa but a ceiling fan outside on the porch would be a great amenity to add.

The air-conditioning and ceiling fan worked great in the unit!  We were pleasantly surprised by the free high speed wifi signal as our unit was the furthest away.

We had dinner, there were no menus, just a description of the daily specials, which were really delicious...but we didn't know how much it was going to cost until we checked out.

The pool area is nice and quaint, looks at the ocean, and very Balinese with an infinity edge.  And  the size if the pool area allows you to get to know your neighbors!  Nice lounge chairs, although I recommend getting additional towels to cover the wicker when laying by the pool.  The pool drink menu is limited.

We enjoyed the river walk and the waterfall was lovely!

The staff exceeds all expectations and is happy to do whatever you want and need to make your stay enjoyable.

All the issues aside, we really enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend it.  I realize the issues listed here are specific to us and our needs as travelers.

Room Tip: Loved the privacy of unit 12.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I found Oxygen Jungle Villas while browsing around on Pinterest recently and added it to the list of places to consider for our honeymoon. We had an amazing destination wedding in Greece, so the honeymoon had to be just as exotic.

The sites and sounds of this place are outstanding -- the amazing views of the Pacific Ocean from the pool, club house and villas, the dramatic and sleek look of the glass villas, and we just loved the wild sounds of the jungle surrounding us. We really enjoyed all of the staff here -- each person is very friendly and accommodating. We had most of our meals here unless we were out during the day exploring, and every single one was amazing. The chef was very personable and made each course very unique. Be sure to try one of their signature smoothies -- Little Hercules; it's so delicious.

My husband and I both had a very romantic time here and highly recommend Oxygen to others who are having a honeymoon trip or just enjoy romance and outstanding views. We will certainly come back! Thank you to the Oxygen staff for making the first part of our Costa Rican honeymoon picture-perfect!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa#1 and I liked that it was just next door to the club house. It also had a lovely...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was a solo traveller staying here a few nights. The view is astounding. The hotel had amazing service right from my check-in with very helpful staff.

The room was okay but I found the AC not cool enough for my liking - that's why I had rated a 4 and not 5.

The food was very interesting - I liked the simplicity of their dinner options (fixed menu) and the dishes were both visually appealing and delicious.

The real gem of this place is the bartender Daniela, always greeted with a big smile while paying attention to small details and offering a little insight into Costa Rica and the town of Uvita.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Oxygen Jungle Villas? Share your experiences!